Which Religion is the One True Religion?

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
Greetings. I am a blank slate.

I am trying to decide which religion to follow. I am willing to listen to reason.

I respectfully submit some questions:
Why do you believe in your religion or your way of life? Why are you so convinced your way is the right way? Is it because you happened to be born into it? Did you examine all the possibilities, and come to the conclusion this path is best for you? Did you read some book and decide it must be true? Did you have a vision? Were you visited by a supernatural being? Was your path the most convenient way out? Did you get tired of searching? Social/family pressure? Fear? Or?

I was raised with no particular religious training or leaning. While that is good on one hand, on the other hand it puts me into this world as somewhat of a blank slate when it comes to religion. Like being at a junction. There are 100+ paths to take, and over half of them seem equally attractive in their own way. Why is your particular path any "better" than the hundreds of other paths, to a blank slate traveler standing at the junction?

It seems almost like a fabrication, a strange falsehood, a crap shoot, that folks sort of arbitrarily choose one path and say "Yep, this is it, and I bet my soul on it."

But, I may be wrong. I almost wish someone could give a compelling argument without quoting scriptures or saying "just believe because S/He said it is so" too often.I am willing to listen to a well reasoned argument as to why your religion or way of life is The Way.

It seems many of the paths are all fairly equal in their advantages, disadvantages, morality, practicality, various claims to being true, odds of being true, etc.

Why should I follow your religion (or way of life)? Why is it the one true religion?

Why should I bet my eternal soul that your religion is the one true religion?

Will everyone go to hell, or stay in a lesser place, if they don't follow your religion?

Can you convince anyone of the truth of your religion? Can you convince yourself?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 33 • Views: 143,780 • Replies: 3,577
No top replies

tcis

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 04:56 pm
Interesting. No one is exactly rushing in to save your soul...yet.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:31 pm
Here's my opinion. I'm up for a friendly discussion of religion.

It does not make sense to me that a just God could condemn someone who tries to find the truth, considering how many options there are today. But I do believe he expects us to figure a certain ammount of things out for ourselves.

I don't believe a just God could condemn anyone who has not had the chance to hear his truth, whether or not they were looking for it.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that God will go out of his way to "punish" anyone, but that he will help everyone be as happy as possible. If not in this life, then in the next.

Those are some of my criteria for truth. But I also believe the scripture (I think it's in James 1:5): If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth unto all men liberally and ubraideth not, and it shall be given him.

In other words, if you're unsure of something, ask, and he'll help you feel what is right.
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:22 pm
If you're "willing to listen to reason" then you've already excluded yourself from any religion. One's as relative as the other. They are all "True Lies" so you can change your mind if you don't like the one you adopt. Just don't join a cult.
coluber2001

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:46 pm
Re: Which Religion is the One True Religion?
extra medium wrote:

I am trying to decide which religion to follow. I am willing to listen to reason.

Quote:

You don't appear to be a blank slate, because you seem to have made assumptions about your true nature. It's like you've already decided to buy a used car from the huckster that can come up with the best story.

If you really do have an open mind and are asking questions about you're nature, then don't ask people who have never searched themselves, but have had their religion implanted in their minds as young children. You can't get their kind of faith by shopping for a religion as if it's just another commodity.

There is an old bit of Asian wisdom that goes, "Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." That means the blind like to lead the blind. But if you really are a blank slate, you have been given a gift that few have gotten. If you have nothing but questions, consider yourself lucky; most people never get to that point. Use your gift to find out about yourself.

A few suggestions for reading material: Joseph Campbell's, "The Power of Myth." Any books on the dialogues of J. Krishnamurti. Books by Alan Watts.
SealPoet

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 04:04 am
There are many spokes from the wheel to the hub.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:13 am
Re: Which Religion is the One True Religion?
extra medium wrote:

Why should I follow your religion (or way of life)? Why is it the one true religion?

Will everyone go to hell, or stay in a lesser place, if they don't follow your religion?

Can you convince anyone of the truth of your religion? Can you convince yourself?

I have spent most of my life studying and trying to live religiously in various and sundry ways.
The most cogent point I could make about religion is:

that it all depends on what you want.

This may seem simplistic, but I suggest you meditate or ponder or simply ask yourself the question over and over again: "What do I want?"

Then, if you ever come up with an answer, go after it and find out if it is what you really want.

As far as religion goes - if you were not born into a certain religion, your parents probably were. Find out what that religion teaches or preaches. Go to its particular religious services. Try and examine and perhaps live its religious philosophy.

You were born to particular parents who had a particular religion for a reason. Explore. Experiment. Find out what you want.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
Hmmm... my coffee cup is full, Im not hungry so I can talk my head off now if I please. Smile

I personally believe that religion is a HUMAN created ideal.
We as humans need to understand what we dont see and dont feel. We need to understand things that are unexplainable. We need to feel ' part ' of som,ething bigger then we are. Religion fills that viod, answers those questions and gives us that place in the universe.
Having said that... my religion is one that I have hunted for, and learned about all my life. I was born into a family of " do as I say not as I do". My mother claimed to be a southern baptist, yet I was the only one in the house forced to go every sunday to church... yet she was the christian.
( do as I say not as I do ) Her morals and values were polar opposites of what the church taught. As a child.. I was aware of that, just didnt have the verbage or life experience to articulate that to her. Instead.. I just told her over and over again..I hate church. As an adult... I still hate church. But that is my opinion and I own it.
Being dragged through the ' church scene ' as a child, I began thinking that ALL religion was BS and I had resolved myself to the simple fact that NOONE knows what happens when you die, or after your spirit,soul,energy etc.. leaves your body because noone has survived death to live to tell about it. Some things are just better left unknown, unsaid and not understood.
After a while ( about mid 20's ) I thought that idea was just a cop-out on my behalf and that I shouldnt be so arrogant to think that there was nothing to learn about creation, evolution, etc...
In all my research I stand firmly behind the personal belief that creation is bullsh..t ,evolution is proven, and that there is something out there bigger and badder then we are. And I dont think it is this single male god'like concept that people have adapted over the years.
I believe there is more then one. Why? Well.. everything takes 2 to ' create'. Water.... Hydrogen / oxygen. Sand .. Water/rock Rock... sand/water.. Trees seed/water...etc. In my beliefs there are 2 energies that support the earth. Male and female. Positive, negative, evil/good how ever you want to look at it. I belive in personal energies. I believe in earth energies... why? Because the energy field has been proven by science. Granted,, my beliefs are NOT completely supported by science. Nor will the ever be. For example.. I believe in many 'gods' Dieties..etc I believe in Goddesses. I believe in spirits... but those are MY beliefs. And mine alone. I believe in spirits because I have seen them. ( you can call me a freak now if you would like Laughing ) I believe in energy because I can feel it. And the idea of a goddess and god are good for me.
It took me alot of time to come to my decisions on what I believe. And alot of ridicule. Open your mind, accept what is right for you with out anyone elses input. Research the F..K out of ANYTHING and always ask why?
You should be able to find something on your own. Even deciding that no religion is right for you is a great place to be too.
What ever you decide make sure you can maintain your stance on it and remember what others say about your thoughts/beliefs etc have no power over your decisions because they do not live your life.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
Extra Medium, if you have an open mind, a truly open mind, spend your life examining and maintaining that openness. And with it, do as some have suggested: meditate with it. If you choose a religion, you will, ipso facto, close your open mind. It is my particular bias (my closed-ness, if you will) that "religious" insight comes to us as a form of grace, but it can only come to a truly open mind (which is the condition that meditation techniques try to achieve and maintain). To pursue a religion by means of reason is, to my mind, a false path. Our choice of beliefs (religious doctrines) is an act of Will, not a product of disinterested philosophical or scientific effort. It is truly a matter of choice, not discovery.
dazedandconfused

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:09 pm
I will say this: beware organized religion. Do not fall into the trap of feeling like you must believe exactly what that religion has decided is true. Jesus was not declared God/human till hundreds of years later, and numerous different organized Christian religions have popped up, often over greed or relatively unimportant issues. That is, whatever you choose, focus in on the basic ideals behind all religions--take care of those around you. I know it sounds corny, but that is the fact. Did God create man or man create God? I cannot say. I like to believe some force similar to the christian god is around, though not involved in day to day life (like deism). In the end though, if it makes you happy, and does not hurt others, there is nothing wrong with the religion or belief system you choose, even if it turns out to be the "wrong religion" (if there is one) who cares. No God(s) will hate you for living a good life (unless there isn't one, which means talking about all this is pointless :wink: ). Oh, and NEVER listen to Pat Robertson, Jerry Faldwell, or any other "great" TV religious leader--they are all just in it for prestige and power.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:39 pm
If you join my religion, I'll give you a free set of steak knives. Come on, you can't pass up a deal like that.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 04:43 pm
kickycan wrote:
If you join my religion, I'll give you a free set of steak knives. Come on, you can't pass up a deal like that.

Well...thats the best direct offer I got so far.
I must admit, its the first deal that offers something real that I can really put my hands on and actually see and touch. Very Happy
Hmmm...

What must I do to be in your religion? What do you guys believe?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 05:40 pm
Daze...and don't forget: money.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:37 am
Open your heart, not your mind! Religion transcends reason, so don't bother with trying to arrive at a religion through reasoning or logical deduction. Seek the Truth with persistency and sincerity of heart, and I'm convinced that you eventually shall find it.

Personally I'm a Christian, and I'm certain that's the right religion for me, as I've felt the Love of God and the Truth in Jesus' teachings through the Holy Spirit many times.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 07:44 am
Derevon wrote:
Open your heart, not your mind! Religion transcends reason, so don't bother with trying to arrive at a religion through reasoning or logical deduction. Seek the Truth with persistency and sincerity of heart, and I'm convinced that you eventually shall find it.

Personally I'm a Christian, and I'm certain that's the right religion for me, as I've felt the Love of God and the Truth in Jesus' teachings through the Holy Spirit many times.

Well said!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 07:50 am
extra medium
The one true religion. Sorry ain't no such thing. Religion, organized religion is a fabrication of mans fertile mind and the big lie. There is no rationality to religion any religion and all are based on myths and incredible falsehoods and the fountain from which evil spouts eternally.
I would suggest your religion should be to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And forget about "joining" the parade of lies.

I know this will not sit well with many however, all one need do is look back in history and examine religions shaky foundations and at the same time see the damage it has caused throughout the ages and continues to do to this day.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:38 pm
I agree, au1929, except that part about ethical reciprocity. GBShaw warned us against doing unto others as we would have them do unto us because their tastes may be different. Laughing
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
Most of the posts here appear to caution against "joining/following any one particular religion."

I pretty much agree with this. But isn't the alternative to be an atheist? Or simply to sort of worship life as we see it?

That seems okay on some levels. But it seems to...leave something....missing.

The irony is: to try to sort of fill in this something missing, without resorting to the parade of lies.

It would be easy enough to simply follow science, what we can see, what can be proven rationally, etc. While science is great for a lot of things in this world, it seems to leave something missing.

To believe in any one religion appears almost irrational. By the same token, utter rationality appears to turn us into almost meaningless robots.

Hmmm.... to believe in something beyond science, but not succumb to the parade of lies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:44 pm
dazedandconfused wrote:
Oh, and NEVER listen to Pat Robertson, Jerry Faldwell, or any other "great" TV religious leader--they are all just in it for prestige and power.

And the cash, Boss, don't forget the cash, piles and piles and piles of it . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 06:33 pm
Yes, Extra Medium, don't tether your mind to any religion, even that of (atheistic) Buddhism. Don't believe, inspect (not the doctrines of religions but) the nature of your own mind.
0 Replies