Which Religion is the One True Religion?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Ok. So, to reiterate, the process of blind guessing is as complex as your guesses, or lack thereof, about centaurs and jinn.

I do not understand the question...if it actually is a question. And if it is just a statement instead of a question...I do not understand the statement.
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Neat. With a bound Jack was free.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:54 pm
Quote:
Spendius said (re the name Blueveinedthrobber): I thought it was a great name Romeo. It made me laugh when I first saw it. I took it to refer to the veins that stand out on a stiffo and which can be made to throb

BVT's profile says he's a musician so presumably it throbs to the beat
spendius

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 06:01 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
To anybody who understands English country house slang Romeo you would seem to be questioning BTV's orientation.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 09:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I'm pleased that you now acknowledge that god requires obedience as part of his judgement criteria . This is progress on the "believe in Jesus and kind of like him a bit"

Now I asked you two questions on purpose. The first was for your personal stance, the second for what the bibles stance was. Look at your two responses and assess yourself. If you concede to yourself that your inclinations are different to the scriptural stance, then make a mental note and move forward, but if you see no difference, and that your motive in the first case was to portray that your stance is the same as what god set out in scripture, good for you my friend.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 06:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Part 1:

The concept at the basis of the Baha'i view of changing spiritual laws is found in the Baha'i teaching in progressive revelation(PR). PR is a core teaching in the Bahá'í Faith that suggests that religious truth is revealed by God progressively and cyclically over time through a series of divine Messengers, and that the teachings are tailored to suit the needs of the time and place of their appearance.

Thus, the Bahá'í teachings recognize the divine origin of several world religions as different stages in the history of one religion, while believing that the revelation of Bahá'u'lláh is the most recent, and therefore the most relevant to modern society.

The basic concept relates closely to Bahá'í views on God's essential unity, and the nature of prophets, termed Manifestations of God. It also ties into Bahá'í views of the purpose and nature of religion, laws, belief, culture and history. Hence revelation is seen as both progressive and continuous, and therefore never ceases.

Part 2:

Bahá'ís believe that religious teachings are of two varieties: essential spiritual truth, and ephemeral social constructs. The latter may include laws of conduct, diet, institutions, ceremonies, and treatment of criminals. These may change dramatically from messenger to messenger. The former, however, are essential and do not change, except perhaps in their cultural presentation. So the Manifestation of God is seen as at once restoring the essential truth, returning the faithful to the correct practice. The Manifestation eliminates redundant or corrupt social structures and creates such social organization as will support the improvement of mankind.

The Bahá'í principle of the oneness of religion differs fundamentally from both of the traditional concepts of one of the religions in history possessing "all the truth." Bahá'u'lláh attributed the differences in some teachings of the great religions not to any human fallibility of the Founders, but rather to the different requirements of the ages in which the revelations occurred.

Moreover, Bahá'ís consider that no one of the Founders is superior to another. Shoghi Effendi has summarized this view in the following words:

The fundamental principle enunciated by Bahá'u'lláh, the followers of His Faith firmly believe, is that religious truth is not absolute but relative, that Divine Revelation is a continuous and progressive process, that all the great religions of the world are divine in origin, that their basic principles are in complete harmony, that their aims and purposes are one and the same, that their teachings are but facets of one truth, that their functions are complementary, that they differ only in the nonessential aspects of their doctrines, and that their missions represent successive stages in the spiritual evolution of human society. For more go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_revelation_(Bah%C3%A1'%C3%AD)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 06:30 am
@RonPrice,
Thank you, Ron.

This was my question:

Quote:

So it is the opinion of the Bahai faith...and of you...

...that although the god at one point considered homosexual conduct to be such an abomination, he demanded death as a punishment...

...the god no longer feels that way?

And although the god at one point considered slavery and slave trading to be moral and okay...

...the god no longer feels that way?

I am not being a wise-ass here, Ron. I am trying to understand the reasoning you are using to arrive at this.

Anything further you can share?

This is your answer:

Quote:
Part 1:

The concept at the basis of the Baha'i view of changing spiritual laws is found in the Baha'i teaching in progressive revelation(PR). PR is a core teaching in the Bahá'í Faith that suggests that religious truth is revealed by God progressively and cyclically over time through a series of divine Messengers, and that the teachings are tailored to suit the needs of the time and place of their appearance.

Thus, the Bahá'í teachings recognize the divine origin of several world religions as different stages in the history of one religion, while believing that the revelation of Bahá'u'lláh is the most recent, and therefore the most relevant to modern society.

The basic concept relates closely to Bahá'í views on God's essential unity, and the nature of prophets, termed Manifestations of God. It also ties into Bahá'í views of the purpose and nature of religion, laws, belief, culture and history. Hence revelation is seen as both progressive and continuous, and therefore never ceases.

Part 2:

Bahá'ís believe that religious teachings are of two varieties: essential spiritual truth, and ephemeral social constructs. The latter may include laws of conduct, diet, institutions, ceremonies, and treatment of criminals. These may change dramatically from messenger to messenger. The former, however, are essential and do not change, except perhaps in their cultural presentation. So the Manifestation of God is seen as at once restoring the essential truth, returning the faithful to the correct practice. The Manifestation eliminates redundant or corrupt social structures and creates such social organization as will support the improvement of mankind.

The Bahá'í principle of the oneness of religion differs fundamentally from both of the traditional concepts of one of the religions in history possessing "all the truth." Bahá'u'lláh attributed the differences in some teachings of the great religions not to any human fallibility of the Founders, but rather to the different requirements of the ages in which the revelations occurred.

Moreover, Bahá'ís consider that no one of the Founders is superior to another. Shoghi Effendi has summarized this view in the following words:

The fundamental principle enunciated by Bahá'u'lláh, the followers of His Faith firmly believe, is that religious truth is not absolute but relative, that Divine Revelation is a continuous and progressive process, that all the great religions of the world are divine in origin, that their basic principles are in complete harmony, that their aims and purposes are one and the same, that their teachings are but facets of one truth, that their functions are complementary, that they differ only in the nonessential aspects of their doctrines, and that their missions represent successive stages in the spiritual evolution of human society. For more go to:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_revelation_(Bah%C3%A1'%C3%AD)

What I get from that is:

One: The reason you arrive where you are is because you are accepting “Bahai teachings”…as gospel (good-natured pun intended).

Two: You accept without question that there is a GOD…and that the GOD has a purpose…and that said “purpose” is transmitted or revealed through prophets.

Three: The Bahai teachings assert (and you accept) that some revelations are “ephemeral social constructs” which change over time (of which you give some clear examples)…and “essential spiritual truth” (the nature of which seem considerably less clear to me).

I have some further questions, but I do want to be sure I don’t have anything significantly wrong in what I am gleaning from your commentary.

Do I?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 08:56 am
Hey Ron, why should we believe Baha u ullah?
What are his credentials?
Wasn't he simply a human giving us his best guesses and hunches?
RonPrice

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 06:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
All revelations have social laws which apply only for the period up until the next prophet brings new laws; you can call these laws “ephemeral social constructs which change over time" if you like. I don't have trouble with that way of putting it.

One of the fundamental principles of the Bahá'í Faith is that religious truth is not absolute but relative. The teachings of the different world religions are seen as 'facets of one truth'. Bahá'í texts include statements of a dualist nature (e.g. in the Book of Certitude) and statements of a monist nature (e.g. in the Seven Valleys and the Hidden Words). The differences between dualist and monist views are reconciled by the teaching that these opposing viewpoints are caused by differences in the observers themselves, not in that what is observed. This is not a 'higher truth/lower truth' position. God is unknowable. For man it is impossible to get any knowledge of God or the Absolute, because any knowledge that one has, is relative. Less stress is given to metaphysical subjects, while ethics and social action are emphasized. Theological differences about God are caused by imagination, as God's essence can not be described.

Bahá'ís follow Bahá'u'lláh, a prophet whom they consider a successor to Muhammad, Krishna, Jesus, Moses, Buddha, Zoroaster, and Abraham. This acceptance of other religious founders has encouraged some to regard the Bahá'í religion as a syncretic faith. However, Bahá'ís and the Bahá'í writings explicitly reject this view. Bahá'ís consider Bahá'u'lláh's revelation an independent, though related, revelation from God. Its relationship to previous dispensations is seen as analogous to the relationship of Christianity to Judaism. They regard beliefs held in common as evidence of truth, progressively revealed by God throughout human history, and culminating in (at present) the Bahá'í revelation. Bahá'ís have their own sacred scripture, interpretations, laws and practices that, for Bahá'ís, supersede those of other faiths

RonPrice

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 06:36 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Bahá’u’lláh is recognized by millions throughout the world as the Messenger of God for this age. The Bahá’í Faith is founded on His teachings. Born in 1817 to a prominent family in Iran, He showed from childhood an unusual intellectual precocity, although unschooled in the kind of learning prevalent in 19th century Iran; He demonstrated, too, a particular devotion to relief of the condition of the poor. His given name was Mírza Husayn ‘Alí, but He identified Himself as Bahá’u’lláh, which means “Glory of God,” a title by which He was addressed by His Forerunner, the Báb. Because of His teachings, He was banished into an exile, eventually lasting forty years, that took Him to the Holy Land. It was there that He passed away in 1892. For more go to: http://www.bahai.org/faq/facts/bahaullah
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 07:39 am
@RonPrice,
RonPrice wrote:

All revelations have social laws which apply only for the period up until the next prophet brings new laws; you can call these laws “ephemeral social constructs which change over time" if you like. I don't have trouble with that way of putting it.

One of the fundamental principles of the Bahá'í Faith is that religious truth is not absolute but relative. The teachings of the different world religions are seen as 'facets of one truth'. Bahá'í texts include statements of a dualist nature (e.g. in the Book of Certitude) and statements of a monist nature (e.g. in the Seven Valleys and the Hidden Words). The differences between dualist and monist views are reconciled by the teaching that these opposing viewpoints are caused by differences in the observers themselves, not in that what is observed. This is not a 'higher truth/lower truth' position. God is unknowable. For man it is impossible to get any knowledge of God or the Absolute, because any knowledge that one has, is relative. Less stress is given to metaphysical subjects, while ethics and social action are emphasized. Theological differences about God are caused by imagination, as God's essence can not be described.

Bahá'ís follow Bahá'u'lláh, a prophet whom they consider a successor to Muhammad, Krishna, Jesus, Moses, Buddha, Zoroaster, and Abraham. This acceptance of other religious founders has encouraged some to regard the Bahá'í religion as a syncretic faith. However, Bahá'ís and the Bahá'í writings explicitly reject this view. Bahá'ís consider Bahá'u'lláh's revelation an independent, though related, revelation from God. Its relationship to previous dispensations is seen as analogous to the relationship of Christianity to Judaism. They regard beliefs held in common as evidence of truth, progressively revealed by God throughout human history, and culminating in (at present) the Bahá'í revelation. Bahá'ís have their own sacred scripture, interpretations, laws and practices that, for Bahá'ís, supersede those of other faiths

Thank you, Ron...I'll just leave this be.

It appears that my initial impression was correct...Bahai is just another guess about the REALITY of existence...and it happens to be the one to which you subscribe.

Peace!
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:30 am
Quote:
Ron said: Bahá’u’lláh is recognized by millions throughout the world as the Messenger of God for this age.

Why? What are his credentials?
Did he say anything that trumps this?-
"Love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor"- Jesus of Nazareth (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25: 37-40)

No offence but does the world NEED Baha-u-ullah or Mohammed or Buddha or Joseph Smith or Taze Russell etc?
Calamity Dal

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 07:44 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
or you?
RonPrice

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:37 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You may not think so, Romeo, but there are millions of people, indeed, billions who are followers of religions other than Christianity. "Such is life, Romeo." -Ron
RonPrice

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
In the end, Frank, we all chose, believers and unbelievers. That is the nature of human existence.-Ron
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:44 pm
@RonPrice,
RonPrice wrote:
You may not think so, Romeo, but there are millions of people, indeed, billions who are followers of religions other than Christianity. "Such is life, Romeo." -Ron
Ecumenism is not correct for Christianity, or any of Babylon the Great. (Revelation: ch 17, 18)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:53 pm
@Calamity Dal,
But I'm not trying to start a new cult or religion for the simple reason that NOTHING can beat Christianity!
Many cult leaders have tried to outdraw Jesus but they've got about as much chance as Wilson against Shane..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shane-wilson_zps4568c86a.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/rel-pie-1.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Religions_2012_zps1a611c24.jpg~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 09:06 pm
Quote:
Ron said: You may not think so, Romeo, but there are millions of people, indeed, billions who are followers of religions other than Christianity

People who make fools of themselves by following a religion that doesn't have the Son of God himself in it, makes as much sense as somebody saying they're a rock n' roll fan but that they don't follow Elvis!
Right Elv?

"Uh-huh"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/elvis1.jpg
0 Replies

letthebibleanswerit

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 09:01 pm
@extra medium,
Jehovah Witness the one and only true religion
neologist

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 09:13 pm
@letthebibleanswerit,
how do you know?