33
   

Which Religion is the One True Religion?

 
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:09 pm
That's me, naive (or careless reader) JL.
0 Replies
 
au1929
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 09:07 am
JL
I posted a similar spoof about Laura {different subject] and had the same type of response. People are willing to believe just about anything about the Bush's. No More will I indulge in that type of humor since it is too close to the truth.
0 Replies
 
extra medium
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:55 pm
au1929 wrote:
JLNo More will I indulge in that type of humor since it is too close to the truth.


Au, please don't stop. All the best humor is, by definition, close to the truth. Very Happy
0 Replies
 
RonPrice
 
  1  
Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:27 am
Attempt to answer the question: what is the right religion?
Here is a start, from a Baha'i perspective, to answering your question:

In the Bahá'í view, the purpose of this life on earth is for each individual to develop the spiritual and moral qualities that lie at the core of his or her nature. Bahá'u'lláh referred to the human being as a "mine rich in gems of inestimable value." These "gems" or qualities can be "mined" or developed only when a person turns to God. But while this awesome task must remain the responsibility of the individual, humanity has received continual guidance from a loving Creator on how to accomplish it. The Bahá'í conceptions of human nature and the soul, then, are essentially positive, as are Bahá'í views on the purpose of life and life after death.

Bahá'ís believe that there is only one God, the Creator of the universe. Throughout history, God has revealed Himself to humanity through a series of divine Messengers, each of Whom has founded a great religion. The Messengers have included Abraham, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad. This succession of divine Teachers reflects a single historic "plan of God" for educating humanity about the Creator and for cultivating the spiritual, intellectual, and moral capacities of the race. The goal has been to develop the innate noble characteristics of every human being, and to prepare the way for an advancing global civilization. Knowledge of God's will for humanity in the modern age, Bahá'ís believe, was revealed just over one hundred years ago by Bahá'u'lláh, Who is the latest of these divine Messengers. -Ron Price, Tasmania Arrow
0 Replies
 
Galilite
 
  1  
Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:47 am
Re: Attempt to answer the question: what is the right religi
Ron,

Are you Bahai yourself?

Can it be said that Bahaism to Islam is just about the same as New Testament to Old Testament?

I happen to live near Acre and Haifa where Bahaullah spent his last years...
0 Replies
 
RonPrice
 
  1  
Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:18 am
Thanks to Galilite
Yes, that's a good analogy. I've often used it myself over the years. Yes, again, I am a Baha'i. I first became associated with it in 1953 when my mother joined this new world Faith. Thanks for writing. I've only been to Israel once in my life.-Ron Price Arrow
0 Replies
 
Sign Related
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 03:11 pm
Re: Which Religion is the One True Religion?
extra medium wrote:
Greetings. I am a blank slate.

I am trying to decide which religion to follow. I am willing to listen to reason.

I respectfully submit some questions:
Why do you believe in your religion or your way of life? Why are you so convinced your way is the right way? Is it because you happened to be born into it? Did you examine all the possibilities, and come to the conclusion this path is best for you? Did you read some book and decide it must be true? Did you have a vision? Were you visited by a supernatural being? Was your path the most convenient way out? Did you get tired of searching? Social/family pressure? Fear? Or?

I was raised with no particular religious training or leaning. While that is good on one hand, on the other hand it puts me into this world as somewhat of a blank slate when it comes to religion. Like being at a junction. There are 100+ paths to take, and over half of them seem equally attractive in their own way. Why is your particular path any "better" than the hundreds of other paths, to a blank slate traveler standing at the junction?

It seems almost like a fabrication, a strange falsehood, a crap shoot, that folks sort of arbitrarily choose one path and say "Yep, this is it, and I bet my soul on it."

But, I may be wrong. I almost wish someone could give a compelling argument without quoting scriptures or saying "just believe because S/He said it is so" too often.I am willing to listen to a well reasoned argument as to why your religion or way of life is The Way.

It seems many of the paths are all fairly equal in their advantages, disadvantages, morality, practicality, various claims to being true, odds of being true, etc.

Why should I follow your religion (or way of life)? Why is it the one true religion?

Why should I bet my eternal soul that your religion is the one true religion?

Will everyone go to hell, or stay in a lesser place, if they don't follow your religion?

Can you convince anyone of the truth of your religion? Can you convince yourself?


None are true. So why want to follow? Hell, be a leader, not a follower.
0 Replies
 
swimman
 
  1  
Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:53 am
hey
i think that there is either no god or there are hundreds of goddes and goddesses becuase how could he be the only one out there you know. thats what i believe
0 Replies
 
TonyO
 
  1  
Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:34 pm
Re: Which Religion is the One True Religion?
Hello medium,

I am rather new here and this may be an old thread but it did catch my eye so I sought to repsond.


you wrote:
Quote:
I am trying to decide which religion to follow. I am willing to listen to reason.


This is a great place to start. Reason means, hopefully, that you will seek Truth.

you wrote:

Quote:
I respectfully submit some questions:
Why do you believe in your religion or your way of life?


I believe that God is the Uncaused Cause. That Jesus is God in the flesh, that He died, was resurrected and on the 3rd day raised from the dead and in His finished work upon the cross one can be saved from sin and seperation from God. I believe this because it is objective.

You wrote:
Quote:
Why are you so convinced your way is the right way?


Because by its very nature Truth is exclusive. It weeds out error. Truth is not "all inclusive". Meaning that not all truth claims can be true.

You wrote:
Quote:
Did you examine all the possibilities, and come to the conclusion this path is best for you? Did you read some book and decide it must be true?


It was not I who looked or sought but rather the Lord sought and called me.

you wrote:
Quote:
There are 100+ paths to take, and over half of them seem equally attractive in their own way. Why is your particular path any "better" than the hundreds of other paths, to a blank slate traveler standing at the junction?


Many claim to know of a way. Jesus said "I am the way" (John 14:6) Test the claims.

You wrote:
Quote:
Why should I follow your religion (or way of life)? Why is it the one true religion?


Well following Christ is not a religion in so much as it is a transformation in ones life. Religion, true religion according to Scripture is the remembering of widows and the visiting of orphans. Christianity, while it encourages all that, is not a "I need to do good deeds to please God" or based on rituals designed to make people "feel" good about themselves but rather God seeks a personal relationship with His creation. An intimate fellowship.

you wrote:
Quote:
Why should I bet my eternal soul that your religion is the one true religion?


God asks you to "bet" nothing. Nor does God ask you to check your mind at the door. He does though say, "Come let us reason together" (Isa. 1:18)

You wrote:
Quote:
Will everyone go to hell, or stay in a lesser place, if they don't follow your religion?


Well it's not "my religion" but rather Gods "offer" to all mankind. As for hell, well yes all who reject God shall be seperated from Him. I take great comfort though knowing that God is fair and just. No one will be in hell by mistake. Jesus stood over Jerusalem and wept over her. He said, "O Jerusalem, how I have longed to gather you under My wings as a hen does her chicks but you were unwilling" (parphrased from Luke 13:34)

you wrote:
Quote:
Can you convince anyone of the truth of your religion? Can you convince yourself?


I can present my case but I cannot convince none. The Holy Spirit convicts those who hear the gospel. As for myself, well again I state that Truth is absolute and can be know and God is the author of that Truth. Man discovers truth, man cannot create Truth.

Morals are absolute. There is a universal moral law, hence there must be a universal moral Lawgiver.

Great questions, hope it gives you something to ponder.

Tony
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:05 pm
Where have I heard all that before?
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
Here's a question:

Does god actually come to you and divinely inspire in you a religious belief, or do you learn it? It seems to me that it's really just about which religious dogma you have handy when you are open to it.

Would a Christian brought up in Alabama still have been guided to that belief if, for instance, that person were brought up in Bangladesh, where over eighty percent of the population is Muslim, and there are no Christians at all?

Why would god stack the deck against some by putting them in a place in the world where the message of the one "true" religion would never get to them?

In my opinion, there is no one "true" religion. In fact, there is no true religion at all.
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:28 pm
Kickycan, you say:
"Why would god stack the deck against some by putting them in a place in the world where the message of the one "true" religion would never get to them?"

I can't image how a fundamentalist Christian can even begin to answer that question. But do be careful that you not attack Christian fundamentalism with a secularism that is equally fundamentalistic. Better, as I see, to ignore it for the absurdity that it is.

Now my bias toward mysticism is also, I must admit, equally "absurd" to the scientific positivist's mind, but only because it is of such a radically different paradigm that it is, from that scientific perspective "not even wrong." Mystical insight is not the product of INSPIRATION in the sense of something having been received from an external source. Mystical realization is more analagous to the aha! experience of a mathematical theortician.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:05 pm
Okay, I suppose it is wrong of me to laugh.
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:27 pm
Osso, it depends, of course, on who you are laughing at.
The question about the one true religion is like asking what is the one poetic view of life?

-edited
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:37 pm
Well, not laughing at, exactly, just laughing.
0 Replies
 
unpopular22
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 06:51 pm
religous values dependent upon environment?
more thoughts to come
0 Replies
 
kickycan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
JLNobody wrote:
But do be careful that you not attack Christian fundamentalism with a secularism that is equally fundamentalistic. Better, as I see, to ignore it for the absurdity that it is.


I try, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Twisted Evil

I see what you're saying though.
0 Replies
 
knowitall
 
  1  
Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:53 pm
There is no one true religion for all religions have a beginning and anything that has a beginning will have an end.
0 Replies
 
islamic hunter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:26 am
my English is not that good but I think all of you will understand me


Mr. medium Said
Quote:


There are 100+ paths to take, and over half of them seem equally attractive in their own way. Why is your particular path any "better" than the hundreds of other paths, to a blank slate traveler standing at the junction?


and that is right there are many religions so let me answer this question :

In any religion to be acceptable it must be sent from good ,but how do we know it's from God, will there are two things


1.The prophet and as you know their are no prophets on the earth now.

So we go to the second thing

2.The book that was sent to us, and as you see there are many books and each one's followers saying that the book they have is the right one.


OK. How can we judge if the book was really giving to us from God...

Will look around you, look at the sky, look at the universe, and look at the world
Look at everywhere even in your self, who created all of this must be a perfect God...

Do you think a perfect God creating the entire world and knowing every thing in it will send us a book that have many mistakes and have conflicts with new science?


As myself, I do not think so.

He will send us a perfect book
0 Replies
 
au1929
 
  1  
Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:54 am
Whose "Book" is the true book? And did it arrive by parcel post or UPS. There are no prophets today nor were there at any other time. Religions are just cults that made good.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 12/03/2021 at 09:00:38