The Supreme Court vacancy, a minefield for Republicans

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 05:29 pm
@oralloy,
And yet another person who doesn't understand the tu quoque fallacy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 05:36 pm
@oralloy,
It's not about blocking. The GOP didn't want Obama to nominate a replacement for Scalia.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 05:57 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Probably so. I've never even heard of it, so it stands to reason that I don't know what it is.

Still, since the Left blocked John Bolton's nomination to be UN ambassador, I think it is fine for the Right to block Mr. Obama's nominee to the Supreme Court.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 06:09 pm
@oralloy,
You ignored my post. The GOP didn't want Obama to nominate a justice to replace Scalia. It's the president's duty. They wanted to wait until the next election.
revelette2

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 07:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
Oralloy has an extreme tunnel vision problem, ignoring facts which veers his viewpoint in any way is pretty much par for the course. I usually try to avoid making personal comments (not successful too much) but I just find having any kind of dialogue so frustrating with him I have avoided it lately.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 10:07 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Why is that whenever I bring up something that Obama has done and then someone of the liberal persuasion jumps in with a "But Bush did it too!!!" you and Setanta aren't jumping in with all the quoque talk? (See what I did there? hehe)

maxdancona

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 10:28 am
@McGentrix,
This "tu quoque" BS is really tedious to wade through. No one cares.

This is just sciolism with no import to any real life topic.
0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 10:35 am
@revelette2,
You seem to be missing the point that this election is not about Trump it's about Hillary Clinton front and center.
A few days after July 4th campaign advertisements will flood the airwaves.

First up will be Kate Quigley Her brother was killed in Benghazi

"Hillary lied to us and told us a 'video' was the reason my brother died. At the same time she e-mailed her daughter that it was a terrorist attack and they were trying to figure out how to 'frame it' She lied again when she told the committee she never talked to us at all" Then championed that lie by saying she was 'not as honest as I should have been"under oath.

Next up Charles Woods:
"Hillary lied to us and told us a 'video' was the reason my son died.At the same time she e-mailed her daughter that it was a terrorist attack and they were trying to figure out how to 'frame it' She lied again when she told the committee she never talked to us at all" Then championed that lie by saying she was 'not as honest as I should have been"under oath.

Pat Smith, and uncle, Michael Ingmire of Sean Smith who died.

"Hillary lied to us and told us a 'video' was the reason my son died.At the same time she e-mailed her daughter that it was a terrorist attack and they were trying to figure out how to 'frame it' She lied again when she told the committee she never talked to us at all" Then championed that lie by saying she was 'not as honest as she should have been"under oath.

There are six more who will tell the voters the same thing-highlighting that she admitted to lying under oath to the subcommittee. It will be interesting how they frame these e-mails

When Ma and Paw America get a sniff of this and then saturated by it-it could run 20 times a day for 5 months who ever is running against her will not matter.
You see the left media CBS ABC CNN MSNBC can blow this off just by not showing it-however they must show these political ads now-it's the law and they bring in untold millions.
How can the 'Clinton machine' respond to these ads-Grieving family members tearfully telling the nation that the democrat nominee lied to them twice-and then admitting the democrat nominee lied under oath.

It is just not going to matter all the junk that is brought in to slant Trump-and anything he stands for. Trump is not stupid-people have already stated that the adds have already been taped-I don't know about that however if they are ran over and over the Clinton machine has little, or nothing, to counter them.

This will be Willy Horton to the nth degree.
parados

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 10:50 am
@spooky24,
When do we get the parents telling us to stop politicizing the death of their son? Oh.. wait.. You could care less about those who really cared about the people that died. You prefer to use the dead for political props.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:36 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Dow Chemical just settled a suit saying Scalia's death made it unlikely they could win on appeal, so it is having an effect.

and let's add

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/03/supreme-court-lifts-stay-louisiana

Quote:
Earlier this week, the Supreme Court heard arguments in the case of the Texas abortion law (SB2) which effectively shuttered abortion clinics across the state.

In the transcript, the lady justices were fierce during argument, pointing out the hypocrisy of suggesting women could leave the state to go to clinics which weren't burdened with the same restrictions as Texas clinics.

Still, with an even number of Justices on the Court, it was possible that this could be one of those split decisions that left all of the Circuit Court decisions in place, even if in conflict with one another.

Today, the Supreme Court lifted a stay which allows Louisiana clinics to remain open, pending resolution of the same issues as the Texas challenges winding their way through the courts.

ThinkProgress:

The Supreme Court handed down a brief order Monday allowing four Louisiana abortion clinics to reopen after they were closed due to a recent decision by a conservative federal appeals court.

Last week, an especially conservative panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit handed down an “emergency” decision permitting an anti-abortion Louisiana law to go into effect. Under this law, physicians cannot perform abortions unless they have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital — an increasingly common requirement masterminded by an anti-abortion group that drafts model bills for state legislatures. A challenge to a similar Texas law is currently pending before the justices.

The Supreme Court’s order temporarily suspends the Louisiana law, effectively preventing the Fifth Circuit’s Wednesday decision from taking effect. Only Justice Clarence Thomas explicitly dissented from the Court’s order.

The order itself follows logic. The Texas case is pending, and the Louisiana case centers on the very same issues. There's no logical reason to allow a law to go into effect that might be struck down in another case.

But there might still be a glimmer of some handwriting on the wall there. With Justice Thomas as the sole dissent, it could be that they've already voted on the Texas case and found a majority that says it goes too far.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:45 pm
@ehBeth,
the three female justices upend the Supreme Court’s balance of power.

Quote:
if you count Justice Stephen Breyer as one of history’s great feminists—and I do—then you can view the arguments in this term’s landmark abortion case, Whole Woman’s Health v Hellerstedt, as creating a neat 4–4 split. On one side, you have a group of testy male justices needling a female lawyer for Texas clinics about whether it was even appropriate for them to hear this appeal. On the other, you’ve got four absolutely smoking hot feminists pounding on Texas’ solicitor general for passing abortion regulations that have no plausible health purpose and also seem pretty stupid.

It felt as if, for the first time in history, the gender playing field at the high court was finally leveled, and as a consequence the court’s female justices were emboldened to just ignore the rules. Time limits were flouted to such a degree that Chief Justice John Roberts pretty much gave up enforcing them. I counted two instances in which Roberts tried to get advocates to wrap up as Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor simply blew past him with more questions. There was something wonderful and symbolic about Roberts losing almost complete control over the court’s indignant women, who are just not inclined to play nice anymore.

The case involves a crucial constitutional challenge to two provisions in Texas’ HB 2, the state’s omnibus abortion bill from 2013. The first requires doctors to obtain admitting privileges from a hospital 30 miles from the clinic where they perform abortions; the second requires abortion clinics to be elaborately retrofitted to comply with building regulations that would make them “ambulatory surgical centers.”

If these provisions go into full effect, Texas would see a 75 percent reduction in the number of clinics serving 5.4 million women of childbearing age.

The constitutional question is whether having 10 clinics to serve all these women, including many who would live 200 miles away from the nearest facility, represents an “undue burden” on the right to abortion deemed impermissible after the Casey decision.

Each of the female justices takes a whacking stick to the very notion that abortion—one of the safest procedures on record—requires rural women to haul ass across land masses larger than the whole state of California in order to take a pill, in the presence of a doctor, in a surgical theater.

Quote:
Looming over most of the morning, of course, is Justice Scalia, who is three times larger in his absence than even his outsize presence used to be. Scalia, recall, once referred to clinics in an opinion announcement as “abortion mills.” Justice Alito seems exhausted trying to play both his own part, and Scalia’s, and Justice Clarence Thomas, silent today, chatters and laughs with Breyer. One senses that the chief justice, two weeks into this new post-Scalia era, is worn out just trying to keep the women at bay. And with today’s facts in hand, the pugilistic culture warrior Scalia would have been incomparable. Without him on the bench, the court’s conservative wing is reduced to demanding more and more proof that the closure of 11 clinics on the day HB 2 passed was really a result of the law. This is, as Scalia would never say, weak applesauce.

If the case is sent back to Texas on remand, we will play this out again in a few years with nine justices. But it’s hard to imagine President Obama conjuring up, from even the darkest, most devious underground lab, a new justice who would be half as fierce as the four-car train of whoop ass we saw today.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 06:09 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Oralloy has an extreme tunnel vision problem, ignoring facts which veers his viewpoint in any way is pretty much par for the course.

I sometimes discount facts that are interesting trivia but are not terribly relevant to the subject that is being discussed.

But I habitually address facts that are relevant to the issue under consideration.

Can you point out any case where I've ignored a fact that was actually relevant to what was being discussed?

revelette2 wrote:
I usually try to avoid making personal comments (not successful too much) but I just find having any kind of dialogue so frustrating with him I have avoided it lately.

It shouldn't be frustrating unless one is unhappy with the state of reality.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 06:38 pm
@McGentrix,
Yeah . . . ha ha . . . what a comedian (don't give up your day job). I rarely come into political threads because of the concentrated blind stupidity which flies back and forth (such as yours here). This, however, is an important subject, not like the latest presidential circus. At first, there was an interesting discussion going on, and then the conservative whiners showed up. I quickly got tired of their BS, so i decided to comment on it.

See what i did there?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 09:54 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Why is that whenever I bring up something that Obama has done and then someone of the liberal persuasion jumps in with a "But Bush did it too!!!" you and Setanta aren't jumping in with all the quoque talk? (See what I did there? hehe)

You know, logic isn't some proprietary system that Setanta and I cobbled together in our garage over a long weekend. It's available for everyone to use. I recommend you try it sometime.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
No.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
You know, logic isn't some proprietary system that Setanta and I cobbled together in our garage over a long weekend.

That's not what you told me! LOL

The devil made me say it.
0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:39 am
@spooky24,
This is my tenth presidential election-I know how powerful TV is in the few months before the election-everything that has been debated up until July will be totally worthless.
Obliviously, you know nothing about Benghazi and the political tragedy that it became and the fact that people in government service who died were the victim of political tomfoolery.
parados

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 09:23 am
@spooky24,
Obviously you know nothing about the investigations of Benghazi and the final reports on it that dispute what you are proposing the GOP run on TV.

Preaching to the choir on Benghazi may seem like a good idea to you because you are part of the out of tune choir but it will turn off most people that bother to look for the truth or listen to actual news sources or check out factcheck sources.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/11/21/benghazi.report.pdf
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:22 pm
@parados,
Pard, when are those mines going to start blowing up republicans? I cant hold my breath much longer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:26 pm
@parados,
Racial bigots don't care for facts. They're immune to ethics and honesty. I bet none of them have ever done any research to seek the truth. Ignorance is devine.
0 Replies