WHY Did Hillary Clinton Once Call African American Kids "Super-Predators"?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:05 pm
@boomerang,
Here's another view to give it some 'balance.'
Hmm, said Richard Eskow. Or words to that effect. Mr. Eskow, a senior fellow with the Campaign for America’s Future, wrote for The Huffington Post two years ago that he knew a group of people who matched those very descriptions(super-predator) They were, he said, the reckless bankers and Wall Street high rollers who almost brought the United States economy to its knees a few years ago.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Tnx for the info.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:51 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think WHY she said it is because absolutely EVERYONE, everywhere was saying it. People believed it was true and were demanding that government be ready for the coming implosion of our culture.

I was reading about super-predator panic a while back after watching a documentary on education where they talked about changes in schooling caused by the panic. In that reading I came across this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/us/politics/killing-on-bus-recalls-superpredator-threat-of-90s.html?_r=0, which I think really shows how it all came about.

That does not explain why she continued to take money from and support the for profit prisons that arose from those decisions, until the polls showed voters were taking notice.
snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 06:57 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Every politician of that era wanted to be "tough on crime." Most people I knew then were "tough on crime." Nobody really talked about the social cost of being that way; that's the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. And now that we know the cost, things are starting to change.

"You supported a policy and it turn out to be a bad policy" is really an attack you can only launch against successful politicians. Folks who don't get elected, or who's policies don't get implemented, can't be attacked that way.

That's exactly correct, DD. EVERY politician at the time considered being "soft on crime" a political third rail, and so EVERY politician had to be "tough on crime". Even Saint Bernie voted for the 1994 Crime Bill.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:03 pm
@snood,
But he did not take money from and continue to support its results into the end of 2015, one being for profit prisons.
snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
His hands are cleaner than Hillary's RE taking big money donations, granted. I just don't concede she's the bad person and bad candidate you hold she is.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:13 pm
@snood,
Understood.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

and vote for someone based on the issues the candidate stands for instead.

And what are those huge policy issue differences again??
maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

or who's policies don't get implemented

And THAT is why I can't vote for Bernie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:34 pm
@maporsche,
They have been posted here and all over the internet countless times. I will not waste time counting them off again. If you don't know after all the posting you have done about it, it is a sign you don't really want to know.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
They have been posted here and all over the internet countless times. I will not waste time counting them off again

LOL
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I usually pay attention to such things since I have a teenager and I try to keep informed. I don't recall anyone suggesting we get "softer" on crime and punishment until Obama's announcement the other day about solitary confinement and the Supreme Court's decision about life sentences for minors.

I have not read about her support for for profit prisons. I have not read about any of the other politicians support or condemnation of for profit prisons. I'd be interested in doing so if you have links.

To me, the privitization of prisons and education have been problematic all along but I've always felt that I was in the minority.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:49 pm
@boomerang,
I look at a little bit differently. I think 'private' schools are okay; many are sponsored by churches, and profit and nonprofit. They should all meet state standards to earn degrees.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:57 pm
@snood,
Bernie Sanders was saying the same things in 1994 that he says now. Hillary was talking about gangs of "super-predators". Bernie said.

Quote:
Mr. Speaker, how do we talk about the very serious crime problem in America without mentioning that we have the highest rate of childhood poverty in the industrialized world, by far, with 22 percent of our children in poverty and 5 million who are hungry today? Do the Members think maybe that might have some relationship to crime? How do we talk about crime when this Congress is prepared, this year, to spend 11 times more for the military than for education; when 21 percent of our kids drop out of high school; when a recent study told us that twice as many young workers now earn poverty wages as 10 years ago; when the gap between the rich and the poor is wider, and when the rate of poverty continues to grow? Do the members think that might have some relationship to crime?

Even in 1994 Bernie was talking about criminal justice reform while Hillary was playing on the fear of Black kids.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Bernie may have some flaws, but compared to Hillary, they're so small, it's invisible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:03 pm
How prisons for profit originated
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/24/us/prisons-for-profit-a-special-report-jail-business-shows-its-weaknesses.html?pagewanted=all

This story shows her waiting til late 2015 to change on the prisons
https://theintercept.com/2015/07/23/private-prison-lobbyists-raising-cash-hillary-clinton/
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
They support what you've been saying about Hillary: she's in it for the $$$$. She's successful at it too! She's an expert at hoodwinking the majority.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Even in 1994 Bernie was talking about criminal justice reform while Hillary was playing on the fear of Black kids.

You mean we should not fear black kids with high power weapons that drive around selling drugs and wh0 by one study had reduce the average lifespan of a black male by 6 years

Yes anyone with a black skin should not get his or her feelings hurt even if they had a habit of using gun fired to settle business disagreements such as between drugs gangs.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
For serious and violence crimes no matter what the color of the skin happen to be of the criminal I had an ever better idea then private prisons of selling their services/labor dirt cheap to third world nations.

Such programs had work just fine in the past for England.

I can just see the TV announcements rob a 7/11 in 75 degrees Miami with a weapon and spend the next five years learning how to weld a section of Ukraine pipeline in -20 degrees weather.

Oh hurt anyone with your gun you get to settle into Ukraine for the rest of your life.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 06:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They were, he said, the reckless bankers and Wall Street high rollers who almost brought the United States economy to its knees a few years ago.

Hmm bankers as super-predators?

Well they could and some bankers did do a lot of harm indeed to the nation and to thousands of individuals but they are unlikely to had killed you or rape your female love ones while they force you to watch them do so.

CI you live in an interesting universe where the killings, torturing raping and so on is the same as finance crimes no matter how large those finance crimes might be.

Thank god to a god that I do not believe in that so call super-predators of any skin color are rare indeed but I bet that you could not get a mother who had a young child killed at a bus stop during a drive by shooting to agree with that comment or to care all that must about bankers for that matter.

You must love your money a great deal or not love your family members all that must or there is a combination of both going on in your soul.
0 Replies