WHY Did Hillary Clinton Once Call African American Kids "Super-Predators"?

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:25 am
@BillRM,
Meaningless response. Hillary Clinton clapped and nodded as a woman said there's a special place in hell for women who don't support other women. Hillary Clinton has tried vociferously to whip up a gender war.

It's has backfired on her, and made feminism seem as shady as she is.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:02 am
@Lash,
Sure she had try to get a gender war going as to do so would make a lot of sense for her.

Sorry wrong person and wrong party for that matter but what the hell if you can not support your candidate on his merit making up nonsense about his opponent is the next best thing to do.

Next you are reminding me a lot of Ann Coulter and her nonsense so tell me once more that you are supporting ‎Bernie Sanders instead of Trump as you would seem to fit in with him far more then with Sanders.

DrewDad

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Politics as usual... crabs in a pot.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:11 am
@edgarblythe,
I had reread your skillful posting of attacking and looking down on Hillary and her supporters for being a woman while trying to avoid being charge with being a male sextist.

Too bad it did not come off but it was a good try.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:13 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

http://www.thenation.com/article/hillary-clinton-does-not-deserve-black-peoples-votes/
In her support for the 1994 crime bill, for example, she used racially coded rhetoric to cast black children as animals. “They are not just gangs of kids anymore,” she said. “They are often the kinds of kids that are called ‘super-predators.’ No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel.”

Seems to me you're taking the word of the author that this was coded racism. She sees it as code, then says it's code, and then you believe it, and then you spread it.

Maybe she meant "psychopaths." That's how I read it. Psychopaths are considered "super predators" and have no conscience and no empathy.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:17 am
@DrewDad,
Every politician of that era wanted to be "tough on crime." Most people I knew then were "tough on crime." Nobody really talked about the social cost of being that way; that's the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. And now that we know the cost, things are starting to change.

"You supported a policy and it turn out to be a bad policy" is really an attack you can only launch against successful politicians. Folks who don't get elected, or who's policies don't get implemented, can't be attacked that way.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:27 am
@DrewDad,
No DrewDad.

I am guessing that you lived through the 1990s in the US. Do you remember the Central Park 5 case?

The public outcry was that young Black youths (and yes, everyone knew they were Black) were running around raping white women. This has been a part of American racist mythology since before the civil war.

When Hillary Clinton used the word "super-predator", everyone knew exactly what she was talking about. Her support of a bad policy is one thing. Her use of a racial charged term to gain public political support for a bad policy is another.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:28 am
But she continued to support this mistake until it hurt her in this election. Then she quit taking prison for profit money. A poll driven, not ethical, choice. One more issue where she was on the wrong side. She enthusiastically supported the illegal invasion of Iraq, she praises Henry Kissinger, she is for the TPP trade bill enthusiastically until she sees the issue going to Sanders, she and so on on most issues. She is a weather vane to the polls.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:29 am
@DrewDad,
To dare to criticize even gang killers who mostly end up killing other blacks is on it face racist if the killers also happen to have black skins.

Hell this is true even if it is so bad that the average lifespan of a black male had been reduce by 6 years due to the homicide rate for blacks being so great.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:35 am
@BillRM,
Ad Homs are so much easier than a substantive argument against a specific point, huh?
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:41 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The public outcry was that young Black youths (and yes, everyone knew they were Black) were running around raping white women. This has been a part of American racist mythology since before the civil war.

Do not worry as now it been reverse with white colleges kids running around gang raping poor black women see the Duke players case and the other such charges in recent years.

No more pretty when the color of the skin had been reverse.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:44 am
@Lash,
You are the one that is not attacking the lady on her positions but instead are making up nonsense that she wish to have a gender war.
engineer

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:56 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That is a very telling article I provided a link to. I doubt many Hillary fans will read it all, if they even bother to open it.

I'm not all that much a Hillary fan, but I would probably open it if the quote you posted had anything to do with Hillary Clinton calling African American Kids "Super-Predators". Are you saying that by saying that some gangs have some people in them that have "no conscience, no empathy" that she really meant only the black kids?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 12:07 pm
@engineer,
The article is from The Nation, and it is by Michelle Alexander who is an important African American writer.

It is a well written article if you want to understand her point of view (which is not very flattering of Sanders either). Similar points of view are being expressed by other Black writers.

It would be a shame if you didn't read it on account of what a couple of old White guys said.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 12:59 pm
@BillRM,
There's plenty of explicit evidence that she's attempted to fabricate slights against women by Obama and sanders, and also drag Albright in her machinations.

A lot of evidence.

Your denial is goofy.

My accusations are evidence-based.

BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 02:41 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
A lot of evidence.

I am sure there are hundreds of people creating that evidence 24/7 most getting a pay check from the owner of the fox network and other such low lives.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:08 pm
@BillRM,
You sound like Clintons campaign manager.

Nah. It was her on camera.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:31 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
You sound like Clintons campaign manager

An you had been sounding like a right winger that out to stop Clinton from becoming president not a supporter of Sander.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:39 pm
@BillRM,
Actually, I sound just like a Sanders supporter. You don't get out much.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 05:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think WHY she said it is because absolutely EVERYONE, everywhere was saying it. People believed it was true and were demanding that government be ready for the coming implosion of our culture.

I was reading about super-predator panic a while back after watching a documentary on education where they talked about changes in schooling caused by the panic. In that reading I came across this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/us/politics/killing-on-bus-recalls-superpredator-threat-of-90s.html?_r=0, which I think really shows how it all came about.