Be friends or let him go?

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 03:44 am
I have known this guy for 5 years, we have always got along so well and we recently decided to make it more so we started dating for a few months until he told me he wasnt sure if he was ready for the commitment of a relationship so we decided to stay friends which was so hard but i kept it up and after a couple months he told me that he still loved me but still didnt want the commitment of a relationship so we agreed upon "seeing each other exclusively" which we both acted like we were in a relationship and people generally just thought we were anyway until a couple weeks ago when again he asked if he could have a few weeks to just get his head together and decide for sure on what he wants.

I have told him that he has a few weeks and at the end of it if he decides his still not ready for anything less of a relationship then thats it. Im keeping false hope away the best i can just to brace myself for if he does say his not ready but he still tells me regardless of what happens he still wants me in his life

I moved out of my parents house and a few hours away from family and one friend i have left there, I also work and study everyday except for one which doesnt give me hardly any time to go see them and im not that great at making new friends but i do live near this guy so basically he is the only person i have anymore. Im struggling but just trying to keep myself as busy as possible and forget whats going on at the moment.

So i have a choice of if he says no, do i stay friends with him even though i still love him so its hard and hurts or do I try cut him out of my life as much as possible but then im left completely alone except for the once every few weeks i get to see my family and my friend.

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 05:52 am
@rachael1011,
Him keeping you in his life is keeping you from meeting other people. So is this bullshit nonsense of seeing each other exclusively when you aren't really dating. It's a possessive dick move.

Break away and be your own person. If that means you need to block and avoid him, then do so. Tell your friends you are single but not necessarily looking right now.

In the meantime, put yourself into positions where you will meet people with interests similar to your own. E. g. if you like to exercise, then go to the gym or go running; if you like movies, join a club and start going; if you like tabletop gaming or knitting there are Meetup groups for that; etc. Meet people and be friendly and charming and enjoy yourself. Occupy your time. Don't try to meet a guy. Just have some fun and make friends.

That is, don't stay at home in misery and making this all seem better than it really was. What you had was someone waffly at best who unfairly kept you hanging on.

Make other friends, and have more activities in your life, and you won't want these halfway measures anymore.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 01:31 pm
@rachael1011,
Quote:
he told me that he still loved me but still didnt want the commitment of a relationship so we agreed upon "seeing each other exclusively"
I know I am old, but isn't agreeing to seeing each other exclusively the basic definition of a committed relationship?

He doesn't know what he wants. As Jespah wrote, you are tying yourself and inhibiting yourself from going out and making friends while waiting for him to decide what he wants. Even if you later decide to give him another chance, you need to get out and live life, make friends and be happy. Even if you are in this non-commitment, exclusive relationship, or whatever it is, you need to spread your wings and have other friends. Not doing so leads to you being way too dependent on someone else for your happiness. And then, what happens when he again decides he does not want to be in this non-commitment, exclusive relationship?

Hope all that makes sense. If not, just go back and read what Jespah wrote. I basically agree with her. lol
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 01:37 pm
@rachael1011,
rachael1011 wrote:
I also work and study everyday except for one which doesnt give me hardly any time to go see them and im not that great at making new friends

take the one day a week you do have and get out and enjoy yourself. meet new people - don't worry if they're going to be good friends - just meet other people - try new activities.

time to cut this guy out and get on with your own life as an adult

he can sort himself out
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 01:39 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:
Even if you are in this non-commitment, exclusive relationship, or whatever it is, you need to spread your wings and have other friends. Not doing so leads to you being way too dependent on someone else for your happiness.

this

(which is also what jespah talked about)
0 Replies