Why do so many people reject creation in favor of evolution, despite the complexity of dna?

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:29 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
Everything is complex until it is fully understood. And no thing is fully understood.
Evolution is a scientific term for critereal-progression.
Creation implies conscious design.
Neither can be proven, but evolution does occur.
Do you ever read what you write? or is your style just one big train of (assumed)consciousness?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 07:10 pm
@mark noble,
You can define religion any way you like, but most of us go by the dictionary definition.
Quote:

re·li·gion
/rəˈlijən/
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms:
faith, belief, worship, creed, sect, ... more
Harry Blake

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 09:41 pm
@Starwonder,
Asked- "Why do so many people reject creation in favor of evolution, despite the complexity of dna?
-------------------------------------

Because they're atheists..Smile
But in fairness to them, they rightly point out that we can see evolution going on in the animal kingdom (natural selection/survival of the fittest).
But that only partly explains evolution, as Christians can see a guiding hand behind it as God keeps it on track over the millennia.
Senator John McCain sums up that view nicely-
"I believe in evolution, but when I hike the Grand Canyon at sunset I see the hand of God there also"
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 09:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Just aks yourself: Which side has evidence?

The Bible!

There's your evidence right there sir!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:45 pm
@Briancrc,
Quote:
Do you think what you do despite your experiences or because of them?
That too, is your choice.

Ideally, what you experience is because of what you think.
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 04:36 am
@Harry Blake,
That is simple-minded tripe. Not everyone who accepts that evolution occurs, and that it is the best explanation for the diversity of life on this planet is an atheist. Furthermore, your bigotry is showing--do you allege that, among theists, only christians can see "the hand of god?" Anyone who sees the "hand of god" in anything does so because that is what they want to believe, and not because they have any evidence for a god or gods. I guarantee you that anyone who had irrefutable evidence of god would be the most famous person in history.
Briancrc

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 05:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Ideally, what you experience is because of what you think.

It probably is an ideal, but we go through many years experiencing things not of our choosing: the primary language spoken in our culture, the lessons taught in primary and secondary school, and on and on. Your personal experiences lead to what and why you think what you do.
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 05:30 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
what you experience is because of what you think
I can actually believe you believe that.

"falsifiability nd "falsification" are two tools that address how "What we think" may or may not deliver what we experience.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
What dictionary is that?
So - To do something 'religiously' (according to your dictionary) means - Apply a deitic-construct to routinal procedures/undertakings?
I'll stick with my interpretation, thanks. Oed's too.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:17 am
@Harry Blake,
What's an 'atheist', Harry?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:27 am
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
"I believe in evolution, but when I hike the Grand Canyon at sunset I see the hand of God there also"
Yeh but why stop there?
I hope youd ask yourself the follow-on question of
"Gee I wonder how God did this"?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:47 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:

Leadfoot Quote:
"Ideally, what you experience is because of what you think."

It probably is an ideal, but we go through many years experiencing things not of our choosing: the primary language spoken in our culture, the lessons taught in primary and secondary school, and on and on. Your personal experiences lead to what and why you think what you do.
That would be true only if you thought I meant that we chose what we experience. It wasn't. Farmer made the same erroneous assumption.

Also wrong is the idea that those experiences determine what you think. Here choice is a factor.
You choose what to think about those experiences.

Briancrc

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:51 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Here choice is a factor.
You choose what to think about those experiences

So when we have a misunderstanding and I think you have my position wrong I can presume that you chose to misunderstand it?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 07:04 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:
So when we have a misunderstanding and I think you have my position wrong I can presume that you chose to misunderstand it?
There are other threads for word games. I wasn't playing them.

So if I misunderstood you, just point out what it was.
Briancrc

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:06 am
@Leadfoot,
It's not a word game. It's an exploration of your position. In the continuum of creation you have asserted that you choose to think what you think, and that your thoughts create your experiences. Whatever the experience, you choose what you wish to think about it.

If you choose all your thoughts (create them) then doesn't it stand to reason that you would be choosing to misunderstand me when I feel that you have my position wrong? If you choose to understand me when I feel you have my position right, then isn't it only fair to say that you choose to get it wrong when you do?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:27 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:
you have asserted that you choose to think what you think, and that your thoughts create your experiences.
What I actually said is "what you experience is because of what you think", not 'caused by what you think'. Your experiences are affected by what you think but the experiences themselves are determined by others. (or at least many of them)

Quote:
Whatever the experience, you choose what you wish to think about it.
That part you got exactly right.
Quote:
isn't it only fair to say that you choose to get it wrong when you do?
I can't say whether it is fair or not without knowing what it is you think I got wrong.
Briancrc

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:00 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I can't say whether it is fair or not without knowing what it is you think I got wrong

It's hypothetical. You probably wouldn't claim to never have had a misunderstanding. When you did have one, would you have declared that you chose to misunderstand?

Quote:
Your experiences are affected by what you think but the experiences themselves are determined by others. (or at least many of them)

How does a thought "affect" an experience? The experience already happened. The thought cannot alter the past. It must be that the experience effects the thought. How would one come to develop "thoughts" (which are just private language) about experiences they have not had? Go back in your own history...when would this have started? At conception? You began saying to your pre-verbal self, "self, I really like this nipple I'm sucking on right now?". Is that how this all got started? Or was it without any " thought" at all?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:30 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:
It's hypothetical. You probably wouldn't claim to never have had a misunderstanding. When you did have one, would you have declared that you chose to misunderstand?
Well, hypothetically, it's possible to choose to misunderstand, but I've never heard anyone admit it. Is that what you choose to think I've done?

Quote:
How does a thought "affect" an experience? The experience already happened. The thought cannot alter the past. It must be that the experience effects the thought.
Did I specify past experiences? No, I did not.

Quote:
How would one come to develop "thoughts" (which are just private language) about experiences they have not had?
You're serious about that? You never have? I feel bad for you.

Quote:
Go back in your own history...when would this have started? At conception? You began saying to your pre-verbal self, "self, I really like this nipple I'm sucking on right now?". Is that how this all got started? Or was it without any " thought" at all?
Mine started at around age 6. Honest, I don't remember a thing before that. I don't know why. I do remember thinking a lot about building an airplane around that time. Those thoughts profoundly affected my future and my eventual choice of airplanes to build. But not nearly as much as my thoughts about 'where 'all this' came from' at about the same age, maybe as much as a year later.

Edit: My daydreaming about airplanes affected events more immediate as well. I flunked second grade.
mark noble

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Just, out of curiousity, lead - Are you and Briancrc the same person, having a generative chat between yourself?
Not sure if (Sorry, if off topic) either/one of you are "NT"-inclined, but (Get 2 NT's) and read Matt where Mark (allegedly-primary) starts.
Guess early RC/HRE just read Mark - And filled in the gaps.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:00 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Just, out of curiousity, lead - Are you and Briancrc the same person, having a generative chat between yourself?
Not sure if (Sorry, if off topic) either/one of you are "NT"-inclined,
Neither of us is the other's sock puppet and I'm pretty sure Briancrc would consider that an insult.

Have read the NT but not sure of your reference (I never memorize book, chapter or verse). I'm all about the story and whether it fits or not. Only reference that seems relevant to the current discussion with Bri is the one that says 'the steps of a righteous man are ordered by the lord'. Lots of ways to read that but only one that fits.
0 Replies