Leaks in City Water Pipes

gollum

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 12:28 pm
I read that many water pipes in major cities have so many leaks that millions of gallons of water is lost before reaching the end-user.

Where does the water go? Presumably down into the earth. Are there vast underground reservoirs with all the lost water? Or does the water get back to the earth's surface? How?

parados

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 12:45 pm
@gollum,
The millions of gallons can't begin to compare to the quadrillions of gallons that fall from the sky every year and soak into the ground.

Think for a moment about where that water goes.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 01:42 pm
@gollum,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 02:26 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

The millions of gallons can't begin to compare to the quadrillions of gallons that fall from the sky every year and soak into the ground.

Think for a moment about where that water goes.

I hear that Hell has a really decent water recapture system to feed their gravity showers and keep their toilets flushing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 07:57 pm
@gollum,
It goes to the water table to grow the vege table
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:24 pm
@neologist,
12 inches of rain will make about 1/3 of a million gallons of water per acre
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:29 pm
@farmerman,
My township in PA gets about 48 inches of rain a year. My township is about 9000 acres, So in an average year we get about 10 BILLION gallons of water falling as rain on our rural township.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:30 pm
@farmerman,
How d'ya like that fer yer vege table?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:31 pm
@gollum,
most rainfall is either transpired or it makes its way as unsaturated flow or saturated flow back into streams. Most streams dry weather flow is ground water dicharge.
0 Replies

kaitlinjhon

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 03:27 am
While its go down, it makes sand healthier for seeding.Proper Plumbing and Water storage both can give you fruitful results to stop wastage of water, And makes sure to deliver it properly to end users.
0 Replies