English to Latin translation

telboy

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:54 am
Can anyone translate this for me?
That's the way we've always done it.

It's one of those things I want to put above my desk to remind me why NOT to listen to people who don't know what they want.
0 Replies

computer user

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:17 pm
Thank you very much
0 Replies

Deranged Wacko

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:00 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the verb have to agree with the noun in declension, case, and gender?
0 Replies

epifone

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:58 am
Please help me translate this phrase
Can someone please help me translate this phrase into Latin:

"To Love and to Cherish"

thanks a bunch
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:14 am
Amare ac fovere
0 Replies

gulch

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:30 am
Can anybody provide a Latin translation for "We Deliver", for use in a motto?

Thanks.
0 Replies

witch

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:09 pm
can anyone provide a Latin translation for the phrase "Many paths, one destination"?

Thank you.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:25 pm
"We Deliver"

Portamus

"Many paths, one destination"

Multae viae, una destina
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:35 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the verb have to agree with the noun in declension, case, and gender?

If you mean the noun, acting as a subject, yes. However, verbs are conjugated and not declensed. Verbs do not have gender or case, but the verb should agree with the subject in terms of first, second or third person, and single/plural. You can have a noun acting as an object with different person or numbers/amount, as in "Libros scribet." (He writes books). Note that the verb is singular, but the object can be plural. Also note that in Latin, pronouns acting as the subject are not required, since the verb indicates the subject's person and number. Conjugations, however, do not indicate gender.
0 Replies

epifone

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
Thanks a bunch, much appreciation!
Lucifer wrote:
Amare ac fovere
0 Replies

purrplepeace

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:39 am
English to Latin Translation of a Shakespeare quote
I posted this in a previous thread before I saw this one.

I need a translation of "Life's but a walking shadow... full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." I would greatly appreciate any help with this.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:06 pm
Isn't that from Hamlet?
0 Replies

Leleni

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:20 pm
Translation Please!
Can someone please translate "One Girl, many pursuits" into Latin? I need it by 9:00 tonight!

Lel
0 Replies

Ultima

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 03:10 am
I'm looking for a two word phrase meaning something like high morals ...could it be aetherius moralis...or moralis aetheria? ...I'm not very good with putting latin into phrases =(
0 Replies

purrplepeace

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:37 am
Lucifer wrote:
Isn't that from Hamlet?

It's from macbeth... I think.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
purrplepeace wrote:
Lucifer wrote:
Isn't that from Hamlet?

It's from macbeth... I think.
Now that I think of it, it was from Macbeth.

As for aetherius moralis, I think "alta, altus, altum" is high, so altus moralis should work.
0 Replies

Ultima

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 12:39 pm
Thanks for the feedback Lucifer...A thing I've learnt since my last post is that moralis is an adjective (and "mores" is the noun form, the sound of which I dislike). So I'm thinking maybe "visio moralis" as in moral views, which would be gramatically correct....I think?
0 Replies

tulip

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:29 pm
will someone please translate the phrase "I dry my own tears" into latin for me. thank you in advance Very Happy
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:11 pm
My dictionary says "visio" is vision. Do you mean "visum"? I think that word is closer to the meaning you're looking for. However, both of these are nouns and they should work. Are you just using it as a phrase or is it part of a bigger phrase or sentence? If you're using it as an object, possesive, indirect object, etc. then you need another case of the word. (ie, visum is also visi, viso, visa, visis).
0 Replies

Ultima

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 02:10 am
Interesting, moral vision would work fine as well...It's just that an online dictionary states

visio -onis f. [seeing , view; appearance; notion, idea].

(http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latin.htm)
which is where my source was. Is this wrong? I'm not looking for an exact translation, just one that gives the general idea, is gramatically correct and sounds good on the tongue. It's for an email address =)

As for "I dry my own tears", would it be something like
"ego siccus meus own lacrima" ... although I'm sure that's not gramatically correct and I'm unsure about "own", you might use "proprius" meaning "one's own"
0 Replies