Not sure how to react to certain jokes with friends

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2016 03:56 pm
I don't know how to react to some of the jokes that my certain person says, like if my friend makes a (I don't know how to explain it well) sexual-ish joke then I don't know how to respond so I just kinda laugh. Here's an example (I'm a girl and so is my friend): My friend was talking and someone said that they would back her up and they would back the person she was having a text argument up into a locker. And my friend made a joke and said "I'd back you up" but she made hinty eyebrows just to the phrase because it was funny and was like "jk but I'd back KC up. (me)" and made hinty eyebrows. She does this a lot with different things (and if you don't know who the "friend" is, she is an old crush and she is in my other posts too). And I didn't know what to say like I knew she was kidding and I thought it was funny but what am I supposed to say to that? Like jokingly go with it and be like yup *hinty eyebrows* or just laugh or say the same for her. I kinda want to admit it and go with it but I feel like that wouldn't end well and would be awkward so I just laugh as she stares at me for a response. I need to figure it out cause I hate that awkwardness and want to say something so the conversation doesn't just drop.

Unknown17

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 08:00 pm
@Unknown17,
I just want to know what someone would normally say or do, something friendly, funny or goofy. I'm awkward and never know how to respond to anyone of my friends saying something like that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 08:25 pm
@Unknown17,
Don't struggle so much in how you react. Be yourself.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 08:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Anyway, the jokes you laugh at tells a lot about who you are. Don't be too quick to laugh at everything you perceive to be a joke.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 08:47 pm
@roger,
Heck. To be honest, most goes way over my grey matter, and I miss 80% of them. That's the penalty I pay for working as an Accountant during my working years. Black and white, and very few grays.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 09:10 pm
@Unknown17,
Let's back up a little. I'm sure I'm much older than you are, but even when I was miles younger, I couldn't laugh when I wasn't sure what others were talking about. "Hinty eyebrows" have been around for centuries, Groucho Marx became famous for his 'hinty eyebrows' and eye rolls. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just say "what are you trying to say?".

No one wants to be a buzz kill, but with all the silly hinty eyebrows sometimes rumors are started that have no basis in reality. Think about this, if another group of young people were mentioning you "with chuckles and hinty eyebrows" how would you feel? A tad embarrassed about ???? that you don't understand? Respect yourself and respect others. Don't join in on irresponsible twaddle about others, it's unbecoming. Stay strong and honest.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 09:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Good advise; stay strong and honest.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 11:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
thank you for the vote of confidence. Let's be good to each other. Jerks don't know how to be good to others, and that's why others shrink from them. Life is short, and death is forever....be a good person before you die.
0 Replies

Unknown17

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 05:45 pm
@roger,
Thank you for replying, I know that's it's been a while since I posted it but I was wondering if you could expand and explain on what you mean.
roger

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 05:56 pm
@Unknown17,
Here's the simplest example I can come up with. If you perceive something to be a joke, and laugh without understanding the real meaning, people watching might immediately identify you as a racist, sexist, or anything else.
0 Replies