Is it possible I'll see my soul mate again?

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:07 pm
I met this girl on a plane ride back to where we live (well where I live and she goes to school). Unfortunately I didn't get her number, but we talked for an hour on the plane and we had a heck of a lot in common. We seemed to hit off and she seemed to have a good time talking. We live in a medium size town--basically there's 2 places to go--the downtown where the organic and local shops are, and the main route strip where the walmart, kohl's, lowe's, those types of stores--and then there's the huge Ive League school. Do people believe in fate, like should I keep hoping for her to magically cross paths again one day?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:21 pm
@mlssufan01,
Magically? no

I do think there's a chance you could meet her if you think about the things you have in common. i.e. if you are both interested in art, you're more likely to meet her at a gallery opening than at a football game. If you're both tea drinkers, you're more likely to meet at a specialty tea shop than in a diner. that sort of thing.

The problem is that if she is in school, she'll likely be limited in the amount of off-campus time she'll have/take.

I recall that when I went to university the first time, I barely left campus for any reason other than shopping runs. I socialized on campus, went to campus pubs, went to various churches and temples connected to the university and only went to shows/concerts at the campus theatre/arena.

__

Separately, unless she's a grad student or mature student, she'll likely find you a bit old (as I recall - you are in your early 30's - that's a stretch for someone in the 17 - 22 age range).
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:22 pm
@mlssufan01,
and really

soul mate?

after a one hour conversation

that makes me cringe

I can understand that you think you met someone you'd like to see again, maybe even date in the future, but soul mate?

yuck
mlssufan01

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:23 pm
@ehBeth,
she is a grad student--she is in her 3rd year of grad school, so probably around 26 or 27 maybe, and I'm 32...so age is not a big concern to me.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:27 pm
@mlssufan01,
right - as a grad student, closer in age

so think about the things you talked about - where is she likely to go if she leaves campus?

do you have any friends at that university? anyone who has access to the grad club/grad student pub, that sort of thing
mlssufan01

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:34 pm
@ehBeth,
I have a friend who runs a diversity program there--he doesn't know her, and another friend in a completely different program/major, but I'm not affiliated with this school, other than my landlord works there. She had a cat on the flight, so probably shops at petsmart (at least the pet sections of walmart or something), and we're both into languages, mainly Spanish--I do have Latin American friends that often attend salsa dancing at the school..that's about my only reason to ever go there.

And we talked about where we've traveled, and where we'd like to travel, what languages we're interested in--that really doesn't help the narrowing process.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:56 pm
I don't guess he liked the answers the first time around.

http://able2know.org/topic/308417-1#post-6108631
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:05 pm
@roger,
naaaah

he's moved on from emailing, which is a good thing

___

if he knows the department she's in, he could go to any public lectures by that group - she might be there

she'll either be happy to see him, or make it obvious that she's not into him
mlssufan01

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:11 pm
@ehBeth,
I still think that's up there on the stalking level, maybe even more so than the emailing. I guess this post was more to see if anybody had ever randomly came across a "soul mate" or "potential significant other" after thinking they lost their chance. If that makes sense. Although, certain events might hold interest for me..for example if a Latin American band came into town, I'd be into that, and if I happened to see her it would be a bonus. I just don't want to intentionally go to like, something I have no business being at.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Never have I agreed with you more, re the soul mate stuff.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Who would want to be in love with a self replica?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:43 pm
@mlssufan01,
I would not pin any hopes for a future because of a chance meeting on a plane. People either like to talk or they don't want to talk, and chatting with someone with similar interests can be a great way of passing the time.
0 Replies

mlssufan01

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:44 pm
@ossobuco,
we're not EXACTLY the same. I actually like learning languages, and dabble a little bit in the history of all languages, she's more into the differentiations of cultures and reasons for variations of speech--which is a very big theme among Spanish-speaking countries--as such, is her focus. Thus, it gives us room to talk about common interests without getting bored about something we both already know.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 12:41 am
@mlssufan01,
You really can't tell that much in one hour. I once sat next to a guy on a four hour bus strip when I was a student and had a pretty similar experience but when we met up again it wasn't the same at all. I can't even remember his name now.

I don't believe in 'soul mates' and 'fate'. Here's a pretty good summary of the matter:

0 Replies