No idea what to do with my life!

Pecky

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 05:45 am
I consider myself to be a deep and intelligent person. I have much greater logical sense than most people and therefor I am good in debates and understanding logic without putting feeling into it and having them mess up my opinions. I’m good at writing and always get a perfect or close to a perfect score for essays and such things at school. When I start writing I completely lose myself in it and before I know it I’m far over the length requirement of the paper. I’m also good at making up stories. I have a really good memory and like learning about almost everything and therefor I’m filled with random information. I’m good with most technology and I’m filled up with knowledge about how to do almost anything I want while I’m behind the computer screen. I don’t take my opinions on anything lightly and therefor research a lot of random stuff to make up my opinions on them. I have very strong opinions on a lot of things that most people don’t care about. I love debating about tons of stuff with people that can keep up with me as long as there no feeling are involved and I hate when people take stuff overly personally. I love nothing more than to be disproven and to see new sides of things that I have not seen before. I don’t like mixing feeling with things where they shouldn’t be and hate having a boss who I am supposed to boot lick and show how much work I have done just for him to see me taking a break once and labeling me as a lazy guy for the rest of forever. I’m not very good with stuff that involves a lot of feeling and I’m completely handicapped in some things involving stuff that has no logic to them. I have no idea what to do with my life. Become a writer, programmer, lawyer, scientist, or a historian? I have no idea. I have very high expectations of myself and I’m very detriment to become wealthy. I will be finishing high school in about half a year btw. Any ideas?

Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 05:53 am
@Pecky,
Quote:
I’m good at writing ...

Really.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 05:55 am
One idea is that conceit is not a good trait for getting along with others, and you will have to get along with others if you wish to become wealthy. Rather than "detriment," i suspect, Einstein, that you meant that you are determined to become wealthy. It sounds as though you have, or believe that you have, the skills to become a writer. In that case, it is even more important that you drop your conceits about your intellectual prowess, and buckle down to writing in a coherent and directed manner. Even if you fill reams and reams with your writing, you're not going to get it published by sitting around congratulating yourself on the excellence of your understanding. You will likely get one rejection notice after another until you finally get your work published. You will have to be able to deal with that. Once you do get your work published, you will not get wealthy from writing unless you can consistently produce work which is both interesting and readable. You will face an uphill battle if you begin by assuming that what you write is golden and anyone who doesn't agree is stupid.

So my advice is that your first task is to develop humility.
jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 08:01 am
@Setanta,
Plus you won't get a second publishing gig unless you sell books and/or show the publishing community how easy you are to work with.

That does not mean you throw a tantrum about every syllable until you get your way.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 08:34 am
Wow - EVERY sentence you wrote began with the word "I"!

To reduce your elevated ego, I suggest you volunteer at your local hospital or homeless center. While you seem to be very bright, I wonder if you are able to learn compassion and empathy.

There's lots of learning for you to do but healthy humility must come first.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 12:12 am
@Pecky,
Shouldn't what you do with your life have something to do with what you're interested in. From what you've written, it seems that your interests are yourself and making money. And you want to avoid emotions. It's not possible for others to choose a career for you.

What does "I'm very detriment to become wealthy" mean?
0 Replies

confusedaf

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:28 am
@Pecky,
I think what everybody else is saying is right. You need to stop being so conceited. I am not trying to be mean, I'm just telling you the truth. In life, people skills are very essential. Just because you're a a genius or something, it doesn't mean people are going to bow down to you. You need to be a little more humble. Also, you will most definitely find people smarter and better than you. You need to be able to accept that. Money is not the most important thing in life. Sure, it's important, but there are many things more important. Don't lose sight of what matters most. I hope you figure out what you want to do and I hope it works out for you.
0 Replies

MadHouse

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:48 pm
@Pecky,
Hi Pecky,
Although you are very talented, you must realize where that ability came from, your Creator. If you have no idea what to do with your life Ecclesiastes 12:1 says, Remember your Grand Creator in the days of your youth. At the end of chapter 12, it says to fear the true God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. So take the time while you are young to learn about your Creator, then use your life to bring glory and honor to him and not yourself. Only then will you have a satisfying life.
0 Replies