The A2K "Road to the Super Bowl" Game -- 2016 Edition

CowDoc

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 01:03 pm
@Ragman,
Did you see the new Nationwide jingle this morning? It's a picture of Peyton in the whirlpool singing "I just kicked Tom Brady's ass!"
Ragman

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 01:23 pm
@CowDoc,
Not yet, but that's why they invented the mute button on remotes.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 03:36 pm
@Ragman,
Cam has been giving touchdown footballs away since he joined the NFL. The Charlotte Observer tracked down a bunch of the kids a couple of years ago and did an article on the custom.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/fcvui8/picture49869430/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/CAM_AND_KIDS_01.JPG
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 03:40 pm
@engineer,
I like him more and more..
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:07 am
I've been a Panther fan since the franchise came into being. (Prior to that I had been a lifelong BALTIMORE Colts fan until they left Baltimore.) It is funny how things work out. When Newton was drafted, I thought the Panthers had screwed up. Some of the controversies involving him or his family made me nervous. I had a friend who prior to the draft swore that if they drafted Newton he would no longer root for them (and for the most part he does not.)

But I've got to admit that Newton has won me over. I love the fact that he simply seems to love playing the game and loves having fun doing so. That seems to be missing from most of the pro players today. They mostly seem so serious and treat things like a business and a profession (it is, of course, but can't you have a bit of fun at your profession?) The giving away of footballs after a touchdown is simply an extension of his enjoyment and wanting to see children enjoy the game like he does. And I love it. I love seeing the excitement on each child's face when a ball is handed to them. Makes me smile every time. Yes, he may turn some people off at times with his enthusiasm and the way he expresses it, but so what. I love seeing it and wish a few more players would act as though they are having fun playing the game.

Should be a good Super Bowl no matter which team wins. (Go Panthers!!)
engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 10:14 am
@CoastalRat,
I've been reading up on Newton, mostly because he has been generating a lot of buzz here in N. Carolina for both his on field exploits and the reaction it produces. There were some very interesting editorials five years ago about how terrible Newton was, how Carolina was making a big mistake. This Mea Culpa pretty much captures it. This guy links to his earlier editorial against Newton. It is an interesting read. Even now, the Charlotte Observer gets editorials about Newton being a "bad influence", etc.
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:06 am
@engineer,
Good article. Expressed how I felt when he was drafted and how I now feel about Newton. Carolina and the NFL have a real jewel.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:33 am
I could be wrong, but Panthers with Cam at the helm look like a team of destiny. Predicting a good old-fashioned arse-kicking. Sorry, Peyton.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:53 am
@Ragman,
I picked the Panthers, but now I'm hoping the Broncos somehow win.
Ragman

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 12:02 pm
@ossobuco,
My love of a Hollywood ending to his legacy would love to see Peyton go out as winner of SB; however, that Panthers team that demolished a very good AZ team, was ve-r-r-r-y convincing.

OTOH, that Broncos team, and that crushing defense that made Pats and Brady look sick, was pretty convincing, too.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 12:49 pm
@ossobuco,
If the Broncos win, Archie will no longer have to tell Eli to put the rings away at holiday dinners.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 06:45 am
I really hate this two-week wait for the Super Bowl.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 06:57 am
@George,

me too -- especially bcos the wrong team is representing the AFC ...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 02:11 pm
I know I am uttering heresy, but I'd like to see Peyton win it.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 04:41 pm
@George,
They both deserve the win....a shame that only one of them can get it.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 08:49 am
@CowDoc,
Key & Peele will provide live commentary during the Super Bowl
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 12:18 pm
@CowDoc,
CowDoc wrote:

They both deserve the win....a shame that only one of them can get it.

Both deserve based on what? For Manning it would have to be a lifetime achievement award since his performance this year has not been all that stellar. This site puts Manning in the bottom tier of the league. USA Today gave Manning a little more credit in the list of playoff quarterbacks, but he still didn't make the top half. Newton on the other hand is in the top three of just about every list. If you are looking at who deserves it for the 2015/2016 season, I think it is hands down Newton though if Manning wins it as a farewell present it wouldn't break my heart.
CowDoc

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 01:48 pm
@engineer,
Precisely - Cam is on the way up, and you would expect him to have more chances. However, we all thought the same thing about Dan Marino. For Peyton, it would be the crowning achievement of a legendary career. We're definitely on the same page.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 01:54 pm
The Browns are about to release Johnny Manziel. This is seriously bad news, because the Texans are quarterback shopping. Oh, please don't even talk to him.
George

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 02:42 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
. . . though if Manning wins it as a farewell present it wouldn't break my
heart.
Yep. Win his last one then go out on top.
0 Replies