Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 04:32 pm
Piffka

What usually happens in Oz is that films are released on video after having done the cinema showings. Maybe it's the same in the US but they get released a bit earlier?

I really enjoyed Bend It Like Beckam, too! Love those *little* British films that were often made for television. And I loved the ending of Bend It ... When the father finally acknowledged his daughter's dream & gave her his blessing to go for it! (Tho I suspect a rather romantic version of reality, but what the heck ..?)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:08 pm
I think you're right, though some here go straight to video. Did you get to see the cooking lesson by the director of Bend It Like Beckham?

Are you familiar with Canadian films? There are some good ones... we just saw Running Man, (I think that's what it was called) -- about the Inuit. Very authentic from what we remembered of our time in the Arctic, but not the most pleasant film to watch. Medicine River which is filmed by Canadians in Canada is one of my favorites -- it's 10 years old or more though. The Canadians have such good-natured films; they are easy to watch.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:12 pm
Piffka

No, I didn't see the cooking lesson. Damn, I love cooking demonstrations mote than I enjoy cooking! Laughing

I'm not very familiar with Canadian films, sorry. I'm trying to remember the name of one, but it escapes me. A pity, but I don't think they feature much in video collections here. They sound just my type of film!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:22 pm
Yep, they're my type and I think they're good, those Canadians. Did anybody mention Pow-Wow Highway? That's another good native American film. I think it was Sherman Alexie's screenplay or at least taken from one of his books. I like independent films. Another film we liked was The Kid Stays in the Picture -- it started a little slow and annoying but it turned out to be very interesting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:24 pm
Piffka

You've convinced me! I'm going to check out my *art video* place and ask about some of the films you've mentioned. I might get lucky! Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:25 pm
A film based on the Jesuit missionaries in Quebec in the 17th century is Black Robe. It is not a romanticized account like Dances with Wolves, and deals with the failures of Christian missionizing there. It is an outstanding film.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:28 pm
Thanks for that, InfraBlue. Will add that to the list!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:27 pm
If you can find "Atanarjuat the Fast Runner" - grab it. An incredible film.

Quote:
"Atanarjuat the Fast Runner" is the first-ever screenplay written in the Inuit language, Inuktitut -- and the first time's a charm. Shot on DV -- and looking terrific due to the exceptional light so near the North Pole -- pic captures an epic story rife with rivalries, evil spirits, sex, violence, native ingenuity, harsh elements and humor, that clocks in at an epic length. But any viewer who's grabbed by the first reel is more than likely to be captivated by the full enterprise. Made by a 90% Inuit crew, thousand-year-old tale of festering evil on the frozen tundra should find a warm welcome worldwide, particularly on the fest circuit.
Inuit storytelling -- an oral tradition active for four millennia -- is one of the world's oldest living art forms, with a method of written transcription introduced only in the last few decades. This saga of two brothers whose lives are deeply disrupted by evil in the form of an unknown shaman, circa 1000 A.D., has been handed down across generations to illustrate the dangers in a harsh landscape of putting personal desire ahead of the communal good.

from the review at http://www.prairienet.org/ejahiel/atarnarjuat.htm

Check out the website - http://www.atanarjuat.com/

Quote:
Igloolik is a community of 1200 people located on a small island in the north Baffin region of the Canadian Arctic with archeological evidence of 4000 years of continuous habitation. Throughout these millennia, with no written language, untold numbers of nomadic Inuit renewed their culture and traditional knowledge for every generation entirely through storytelling.

Quote:
For countless generations, Igloolik elders have kept the legend of Atanarjuat alive to teach young Inuit the danger of setting personal desire above the needs of the group.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 11:02 am
I really liked the film, but wondered how other people might react. What a gorgeous website! It reminded me how much I loved the music. When we were in Barrow, the third member of our group had an affair with an beautiful girl who looked like Puja, it was uncanny, we both were saying. Beth, did you notice the delicate way that the women handled their ulu's, btw? Women's knives... different from men's.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:38 am
ehBeth wrote:
If you can find "Atanarjuat the Fast Runner" - grab it. An incredible film.

That sounds fascinating ehBeth.
So many good films & so little time to track them down! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:25 pm
msolga<

I have not seen Adaptation, but it seems to me that any film with Chris Cooper can't be all bad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:36 pm
williamhenry

Was he the orchid expert?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:03 pm
msolga wrote:
Was he the orchid expert?

msolga<

Roger Ebert's review of Adaptation which you posted earlier to this thread describes Cooper's character as an "orchid fancier."

So, I guess the answer to your question is, "yes."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:06 pm
I see. About the most interesting person in the film.
Just hadn't heard of him before, williamhenry.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:56 am
I'll second that on "Fast Runner," Msolga. (As far as I remember, that is the title here.) Also the rabbit fence film. There are some terrific suggestions in this thread!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:33 pm
Tartarin wrote:
I'll second that on "Fast Runner," Msolga. (As far as I remember, that is the title here.) Also the rabbit fence film. There are some terrific suggestions in this thread!

Then Fast Runner is a must see! As soon as I finish these blasted reports & have some time ......
I loved Rabbit Proof Fence, too, Tartarin! Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:16 am
"Adaptation" is a difficult film to get into with all the sub-text going on. I know I had to watch it twice to absorb what was going on.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:49 pm
LightWizard

I'll give it some time, then watch it again .... when I can fully concentrate. Right now I'm writing endless reports. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 04:28 am
Friday night & another video ... Donnie Darko this time. To tell the truth I don't quite know what to make of it. Great atmosphere, interesting situations, very watch-able. Do any of you have some thoughts about the *meaning", though. I'm stumped.
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:33 pm
I have not read all of the posts to this topic. Last weekend we saw "Monsoon Wedding" on dvd and really enjoyed it. Good story and very exotic. Smile
0 Replies