Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:21 pm
I liked his (Kubrick's) Paths of Glory too - I hadn't even heard of it until his death, it was mentioned in most of his obits. Then again, I think it was about then that it was reissued on video.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 04:15 pm
Also get Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and watch for a great supporting role by Agnes Moorehead (who was on TV in Bewitched).
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 04:25 pm
From The Hip (1987) with Judd Nelson, Elizabeth Perkins and John Hurt.

Clue (1985)
http://www.cluedofan.com/movie/movie.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
One of my faves: Never Cry Wolf.

Charles Martin Smith, amongst other flicks, was in American Graffiti. He also directed the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 05:10 pm
A great unheralded River Phoenix movie, Running on Empty.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 05:26 pm
WH,
...Speaking of timeless, political satire; how about, Peter Sellers' "The Mouse That Roared"? The idea of a country's path to prosperity, being to lose a war to the United States, is forever fresh!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 06:18 pm
Great choice, and reminds me of Peter Sellers in Being There.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 06:57 pm
Any film with the late Peter Sellers is fun to watch more than twice.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 07:15 pm
Very enjoyable to see outtakes from Being There in its titles at the end of the movie. I must have missed them or forgotten about them over the years. I really miss Sellers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:44 am
Yeah ... & Spike Milligan, too!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:13 am
I just watched (a previously unknown) Altman film on video ...Cookie's Fortune.
A rather innocent film, with a few surprising twists & turns. Very gentle & easy going .. Not sure what to think of it.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:19 am
That was my kind of movie - quiet little Altman movie. Someone reminded elsewhere about The Winslow Boy. You might try that if you haven't seen it. Love that Rebecca Pidgeon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:24 am
LarryBS

Now that title rings a bell ... Where did I hear it? Maybe I saw it on TV a while back? Will check it out. Thanks

I really enjoyed the play in Cookie's fortune. Very funny.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:33 am
Three others just popped into my head - another Altman, Dr. T and the Women, I enjoyed it but many didn't - State and Main and The Spanish Prisoner, both David Mamet films. He's very sharp, I loved those two movies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:44 am
I must look up David Mamet on the Internet. You know, I've never heard of him Embarrassed Sounds interesting.

Yes, I think I'll check out more Altman. Tonight's experience wasn't at all what I expected. I haven't seen Dr T ... so that could be my next one.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:58 am
Mamet is a playwright, which is his strength, but he has been directing films lately too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 06:04 am
They're probably not on video yet?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:01 am
Yes they are, they are 3 to 5 years old.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:52 pm
I thought Dr. T was brilliant in understated way. All those stars, and nothing was forced, everything just played out naturally. State & Main, was pretty good too.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:10 pm
"DR. T and the Women" is another extremely good Richard Gere performance which he proved he could do once again in "Chicago."

As far as Altman, "Gosford Park" is a beautiful twist on old Agatha Christie murder mysteries and Merchant Ivory films. The satirical aspects of it aren't thrown in your face, even the upstairs/downstairs social commentary is subtle as Altman keeps one absorbed in the story and characters.
0 Replies