DNA, Where did the code come from?

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 08:00 am
@Setanta,
Don't know about you, but I was thinking of my A2K friends FBM, Frank and now Farmer.

But please elaborate on the specifics of why it's BS..
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 08:43 am
@layman,
Quote:

If you agree, Farmer, than why do you think everyone who doesn't adopt your panadaptionist neo-Darwinian theories is a creationist, I wonder
Youre being disingenuous . I dont accuse everyone, just those that use such an argument to assert that a great schism in science is occuring (thus making a default to GAWDIDIT sound reasonable).

Aryou being purposely obtuse?
parados

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:05 am
@layman,
Let me quote it further layman when Moran talks about you.

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of doubletalk you expect from IDiots.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Youre being disingenuous . I dont accuse everyone, just those that use such an argument to assert that a great schism in science is occuring (thus making a default to GAWDIDIT sound reasonable).

Heh, there ya go again, Farmer. Back to God. How did God get into this?

What you have strongly objected to, from the first time we discussed such matters, was any suggestion that natural selection had lost it's former place in evolutionary theory. That says nothing about God, ID, or any of the other great leaps you make in your conclusions.

It does, however, reflect current evolutionary theory.
parados

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:15 am
@layman,
When someone asserts that something didn't happen naturally then there is only one other choice, the supernatural.
layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:21 am
@parados,
Got any more insightful tautologies to share, there, eh, Parry?
parados

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:24 am
@layman,
And you still didn't understand it.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Don't know about you, but I was thinking of my A2K friends FBM, Frank and now Farmer.

But please elaborate on the specifics of why it's BS..

And he's another one, no doubt, eh, Leddy, but don't EVER expect him to admit it. He got his self a big-ass dose of Irish Catholicism as young'un, ya can bet on that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 11:09 am
@layman,
Quote:
It does, however, reflect current evolutionary theory
I think you need to get off a horse . Youve got the seeds of Frankie running your thoughts

"I may not always be right but Im never wrong"

summarizes you Frankie and Pb.
IGNORE what you dont understand and embellish what isnt necessarily so.

layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 11:51 am
@farmerman,
Ever hear of the Panda's Thumb website, Farmer? The one where creationists debate darwinists, ya know?
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 03:01 pm
@layman,
Thats one of the old timers, started under Gould I believe. Theres pharyngula, Sandwalk, Talk Origins archive, Bionet, GSA news, NCSE, and several other , more associated with Universities .

Which ones do you not like?
layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Thats one of the old timers, started under Gould I believe. Theres pharyngula, Sandwalk, Talk Origins archive, Bionet, GSA news, NCSE, and several other , more associated with Universities .

Which ones do you not like?

Actually PZ Myers started (with others) Panda's Thumb. I don't like any of them. They're all completely worthless. The whole thing is a waste of time on both sides--Christians and darwinists. All polemics and categorical assertion, no debate, nothing of interest:

Quote:
“Disputes between men pertinaciously obstinate in their principles are the most irksome. The same blind adherence to their own arguments is to be expected in both; the same contempt of their antagonists; and the same passionate vehemence in enforcing sophistry and falsehood; and, as reasoning is not the source from whence either disputant derives his tenets, it is in vain to expect that any logic, which speaks not to the affections, will ever engage him to embrace sounder principles.” (David Hume)

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:57 pm
@layman,
Maybe then he must hqve based it upon Gould's book of the same name

Quote:
I don't like any of them
but most of your clips come from ID "softened" blogs . You usually leave a trail a mile wide. How can you fake that you "dislike" anyof them yet rely op their truth??

If you look att both sides and try to understand how one side got it wrong and then see whether theres a wqy to solidify that point, then youll stop being just a pghilosopher and can qctually "DO" something. Rolling Eyes

Talk origins is mostly evidence as is NCSE .Even "Evolution" from Discovery really tries to present what it feels is evidence (They mostly fail by disputing simple concepts like thermo and surface chemistry)

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 08:07 pm
@farmerman,
here:http://faculty.washington.edu/lynnhank/Gould.pdf I wonder whether PZ gave SJ some credit for being the one to popularize the phrase
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 10:07 pm
@farmerman,
A point Shapiro made, and I thought he made it well, was that the Darwin/creation debate was a "dialogue of the deaf," and a false dichotomy. Both sides treat it like it's one or the other.

The creationists/IDers do not really attack "evolution." They attack Neo-Darwinism, which is kinda like shootin fish in a barrel. It's just as dogmatic as any religion and it's an easy target. They had a number of valid criticisms, and pretended that if they could defeat that particular theory they would thereby prove their own. Fraid not. Likewise, darwinists showing the absurdities of creationism does NOT prove that Darwinian theory is correct.

It aint "either one or the other" as all those disputants seems to think.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 11:19 pm
Where is this leading?:

Quote:
Most biologists, I suspect, will happily own up to the fact that they think of the organism as engaged in strikingly directed and meaningful activity. The lion stalking the gazelle, the bird building a nest, the larva spinning a cocoon, the rose flowering, the cell dividing and differentiating, the organism maintaining its own way of being amid the perturbations of its environment — they all reflect a kind of intentional pursuit we would never attribute to dust, rocks, ocean waves, or clouds.

Biologists, that is, will acknowledge that, at molecular and higher levels, they see almost nothing but an effective employment of a thousand interwoven means to achieve a thousand interwoven ends — all in an almost incomprehensibly organized, coordinated, and integrated fashion expressing the striving of the organism as a whole. The organism, they will say, as it develops from embryo to adult — as it socializes, eats, plays, fights, heals its wounds, communicates, and reproduces — is the most concertedly purposeful entity we could possibly imagine. It does not merely exist in accord with the laws of physics and chemistry; rather, it is telling the meaningful story of its own life.

And then they will take it all back.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/evolution-and-the-illusion-of-randomness
layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 11:23 pm
@layman,
Quote:
What we see through the microscope is what we see with our unaided eyes: life comes from life. Living cells, with all their displays of agency, come from other living cells. Open any journal of any sub-sub-subdiscipline of biology, and you will immediately be overwhelmed by suggestions of agency even at the lowest levels. Molecules, we are told to a fault, are bent on regulating, signaling, stimulating, responding, controlling, assisting, suppressing, healing, repairing, sensing, coordinating — and all in a way that can be understood only contextually. There is nothing at any level of observation, whether above or below macromolecules, that is not caught up in the meaningful life of the organism as a whole.
layman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 11:32 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Such, then, is the living reality that Dawkins refers to as the “appearance of design” or the “illusion of design and planning.” It is also what Dennett has in mind when he writes, “All the Design in the universe can be explained as the product of a process that is ultimately bereft of intelligence, in other words an algorithmic process that weds randomness and selection to produce ... all the intelligence that exists.”

So, "design" is mere illusory appearance, they say, and the universe is "bereft of intelligence." What does this particular author think about "design?"

Quote:
Dawkins and Dennett sometimes seem fixated upon design, presumably as a result of their severely constraining preoccupation with religion and with the “creationism” or “intelligent design” promulgated by some religious folks. Although the word has its legitimate uses, you will not find me speaking of design, simply because — as I’ve made abundantly clear in previous articles — organisms cannot be understood as having been designed, machine-like, whether by an engineer-God or a Blind Watchmaker elevated to god-like status. If organisms participate in a higher life, it is a participation that works from within — at a deep level the ancients recognized as that of the logos informing all things. It is a sharing of the springs of life and being, not a mere receptivity to some sort of external mechanical tinkering modeled anthropocentrically on human engineering.

I'm sure that everything this author says is completely incomprehensible to those who take "naturalism" to be an indubitable principle of ontological metaphysics. Their fundamental assumption prevent comprehension of such outlooks.
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:03 am
@layman,
Quote:
One answer will occur immediately to anyone properly educated in conventional evolutionary theory: random mutation...

As for genetic mutations specifically, the crucial point was already made by Oxford University biophysicist Norman D. Cook in 1977: “Biological intervention through enzymes and enzyme systems is the principal mechanism of in vivo mutation.” Biologists commonly interpret such mutations as random errors in vital processes such as DNA replication, but “if ... changes in the genetic material are indeed mediated by other cellular molecules, then the idea of ‘randomness’ lacks all but the most trivial descriptive meaning, referring only to our knowledge of the mutation event.”[8].

Furthermore, as British radiologist B. A. Bridges pointed out: even studies of radiation-induced mutation in bacteria have shown that cellular repair systems are “necessary for nearly all of the mutagenic effect of ultraviolet and around 90 percent of that of ionizing radiation.”

We are no longer free to imagine that evolution waits around for “accidents” to knock genes askew so as to provide new material for natural selection to work on. The genome of every organism is actively and insistently remodeled as an expression of its context. Genetic sequences get rewritten, reshuffled, duplicated, turned backward, “invented” from scratch, and otherwise revised in a way that prominently advertises the organism’s accomplished skill in matters of genomic change. The illustrations of this skill are so extensive in the contemporary literature that there is no way to review it adequately here.

This article is quite long, and is only one in a series of four by this author, Stephen L. Talbott. If you care to ask who he is, you could look here (and elsewhere, of course). http://www.thethirdwayofevolution.com/people/view/stephen-talbott
Among other things, he is a contributor to that website, entitled: "The Third Way--Evolution in the era of genomics and epigenomics."

The "third way" phrase is presumably borrowed from James Shapiro, the molecular biologist from the University of Chicago who advocated taking a (third) view of evolution, i.e., something beyond the false dichotomy of "either ID/Creationism or neo-darwinsim). You can see that if you look at the "rationale" tab at the website, and under the "people" tab, you can see some of the prominent evolutionary theorists who contribute to it.

In part it says there:

Quote:
Most of the scientists referenced on this web site have come to a wide range of conclusions about different aspects of evolutionary change. Many see evolution as a complex process with distinct mechanisms and stages rather than a phenomenon explainable by a small number of principles. The divergences and multiplicity of ideas, opinions and theories on this website are necessary since many fields of evolutionary biology remain relatively unexplored.

The Third Way web site provides a vehicle for new voices to be heard in evolution debates. It will be a forum for accessing empirical data on areas that have been glossed over by Neo-Darwinian viewpoints. The goal is to focus attention on the molecular and cellular processes which produce novelty without divine interventions or sheer luck.

Those who already "know" all the answers to evolution (i.e., Neo-Darwinists) will have no desire to look at websites such as this. Those with more eclectic tastes may find it interesting, however.

They reject BOTH divine intervention and "sheer luck," and much scientific research is cited there.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 02:06 am
@layman,
Quote:
It is also what Dennett has in mind when he writes, “All the Design in the universe can be explained as the product of a process that is ultimately bereft of intelligence, in other words an algorithmic process that weds randomness and selection to produce ... all the intelligence that exists.”

A fine conglomeration of words of sweeping universal import, yet utterly devoid of any explicatory value, eh?

This is not a statement of empirical science. It is a recitation of a metaphysical dogma.

But, I suppose Farmer would call it "evidence," ya know? Such claims are self-proving. Self-evident. Not in doubt. Beyond question, eh?
0 Replies