DNA, Where did the code come from?

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 02:51 am
@Leadfoot,
So-called "intelligent design" is a proposition for which there is no evidence. Therefore, anyone who does not accept it the proposition can hardly be called an "anti-ID fanatic." B y the way, Frank was, far from being an "anti-ID fanatic," constantly ranting his line that if a god were possible, then "intelligent design" were possible. Of course, were we all suddenly infected with honesty (which i don't expect from the theists), we'd all acknowledge that were so-called intelligent design a reality, there would have to be said intelligence. Being honest, we'd have to acknowledge that the whole thing is a scam for theistic creation under false colors, given that they will never describe or posjit the designer.
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 03:59 am
The following excerpts, relating to the concepts of empirical evidence, etc., come from a 1982 article, entitled "Dogma and Doubt," by R. H. Brady published in Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. This is a very thoughtful article, mainly philosophical in nature, and probably of little interest to most here. Even so:

Quote:
When a theory becomes part of the common working knowledge of an entire community it becomes the context within which that community understands the world...Specifically, I mean the belief that random variation can, when subjected to selective pressure for long periods of time, culminate in new forms, and that it therefore provides an explanation for the origins of morphological diversity, adaptation, and when extended as far as Darwin proposed, speciation.

Theories become empirical by seeking empirical support...The target of the critics... has been... [one] of submitting them, and the general theory behind them, to empirical test. The critics imply that we simply do not know enough about the organic realm to understand what would bring our hypotheses into question.... A test is of no value if it cannot call the theory being tested into question.

But when we come to Darwin's theory the real point of his warning about the difficulties inherent in identifying fitness emerge. Darwin did not put forward a comprehensive theory of the organism. He had, in fact, no way of summing the effect of traits. Nor have we, until we have a theory of the total organism...until the organism is reduced to a determinate system, we have not the knowledge to mount a good test of optimalization theory—that is, we cannot question it. If that is so, it follows that the theory has no empirical support.

A theory may be accepted for more than one reason. It may be judged, for example, to be better supported than its competitors, and therefore be acceptable if no serious objections are known. It may, on the other hand, be believed, which is an entirely different matter.

If our aim is empirical investigation, any belief that can set up shop as 'knowledge' is always a fatal possession, for it undermines the basic project. The biologist who 'knows' that any differential can lead to new types is admitting that no empirical support is sought or needed for that proposition, which thereby becomes an a priori truth.

Whatever we actually believe we take to be identical with reality, and therefore not part of hypothesis that stands in need of support. Those who believe the Darwinian theory apply it, or parts of it, to their observations as a known parameter. Their results are artifacts of their belief, but this fact can hardly be visible to them until they are willing to question what they have previously taken for granted.

Theories, qua theories, simply cannot be given predictive credit for everything they agree with...We are speaking here, of course, of theories as postulations whose relation to the world is yet to be determined.

Once we are convinced that we know that relation, however, and that the theory in question is true, we may indeed assign it complete responsibility for the canon, discarding all other explanations, for it is now identified with reality....Once we have become convinced by our theory, for whatever reason, artifacts of that belief are bound to emerge, for we see the world in the context of our belief.

If we are in the position of saying "Since we now know the theory is correct, what follows?", the item under investigation here is not the world of experience, but the theory, for experience no longer has the power to question that belief. The addition of empirical evidence at this point changes nothing, because whatever evidence we include will be interpreted by our theory, producing such artifacts as the illusory 'confirmation' and 'correction' above. There should be no confusion about this. A firm conviction precludes any possibility of learning from experience—learning, that is, about the relation of the idea to evidence, or to empirical support.

At the moment, the critics of Darwinian theory are turning in rather profitable work for those interested in empirical investigation. They are clearing the ground for new questions, new investigations—questions which could not be heard in a dogmatic context because their area of inquiry was preempted by the Darwinian answer. While that answer was believed, there was nothing to inquire about.

http://natureinstitute.org/txt/rb/dogma/dogmadoubt.htm

There's much more to the article, if anyone is interested, but that conveys some of the flavor of it.

As I read him, he's basically saying that you can't test what you already know to be true. And, of course, if you already know it is true, there is no need to test it. You just assert it. LOUDLY and repeatedly. Then you're in bidnizz, sho nuff.
Quote:

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." (Samuel Clemens)

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:25 am
@layman,
sounds a bit like
"we definitely know something is not true but we do not have any evidence at this moment, with which to support this knowledge".

Sheer luck at opportune moments in time sorta forces us to redefine "Sheer luck"

layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:27 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

sounds a bit like
"we definitely know something is not true but we do not have any evidence at this moment, with which to support this knowledge".

Yeah, Farmer, same thing. It's an article of faith, either way, not a matter of persuasive evidence.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:38 am
@layman,
Quote:
. It's an article of faith, either way, not a matter of persuasive evidence.

Then I say that youve got your eyes purposely averted so it doesnt interfere with your game .
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
. It's an article of faith, either way, not a matter of persuasive evidence.

Then I say that youve got your eyes purposely averted so it doesnt interfere with your game .

You say, eh? What is that supposed to even mean? I don't understand what you're saying.
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:47 am
@layman,
I mean, I could guess at your meaning, I suppose. If I had to guess then I would probably conjecture that you're trying to say something like this:

There is a known TRUTH out there, easy for all to see. The name of that TRUTH is Neo-Darwinism. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge this TRUTH is simply adverting their eyes, deliberately. That's because they have a game they want to the play. The name of that game is creationism.

That about it, Farmer?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:23 am
@layman,
You stated above that the IDers dont argue with EVOLUTION but with neo-Darwinian thinking. You know that is a bullshit stttement. Everything the IDers pose is religiously based and evolution is an anathema to all they stand for.
Were these "arguments" merely about a positional difference between two l "schools of thought" (Neutral theory v adapttions roles) it would be fun to discuss. Unfortunately , (either you are being purposely obtuse to ignore this or you really dont understnd) the role of ID is to ""chip away", mostly by lots of obfuscation, at the various levels of scientific understandings.

You seem to follow that entire ID pathway, wherein you avoid referencing any real evidence, but claim that "both sides are evidential voids".

layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:43 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You stated above that the IDers dont argue with EVOLUTION but with neo-Darwinian thinking. You know that is a bullshit stttement.

Even if all IDer DID reject evolution and claim that all species were created 6000 years ago and have not changed one iota since then (which they don't), they would still just argue against Darwinism. There's no need to do more at all those websites you mentioned. That's the only people they're arguing against, see?

Quote:
Everything the IDers pose is religiously based and evolution is an anathema to all they stand for.

Yeah, and all blacks are lazy, all jews are money-grubbers, etc., eh, Farmer?

I basically agree with the guy I just quoted, but I have no conclusive evidence for it and know of no way to "prove" it. So what? It's the same thing with the claim that all mutations are "random" (although there is substantial credible evidence AGAINST the proposition).

But, for you, there is no doubt, and you somehow think it's been PROVEN. That's where we differ. I don't claim to "know," I just make "best guesses," that's all.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:50 am
@layman,
I'll post this again and make two comments:
layman wrote:
Quote:
Dawkins and Dennett sometimes seem fixated upon design, presumably as a result of their severely constraining preoccupation with religion and with the “creationism” or “intelligent design” promulgated by some religious folks. Although the word has its legitimate uses, you will not find me speaking of design, simply because — as I’ve made abundantly clear in previous articles — organisms cannot be understood as having been designed, machine-like, whether by an engineer-God or a Blind Watchmaker elevated to god-like status. If organisms participate in a higher life, it is a participation that works from within — at a deep level the ancients recognized as that of the logos informing all things. It is a sharing of the springs of life and being, not a mere receptivity to some sort of external mechanical tinkering modeled anthropocentrically on human engineering.

1. If I had written this, I would have said: "Dawkins, Dennett, AND FARMER sometimes seem fixated upon design, presumably as a result of their severely constraining preoccupation with religion and with the “creationism” or “intelligent design” promulgated by some religious folks." Except I would probably put SEVERELY CONSTRAINING in all caps for extra emphasis, ya know?

2. I agree with this guy. It aint even about "design," per se: "organisms cannot be understood as having been designed, machine-like, whether by an engineer-God or a Blind Watchmaker elevated to god-like status."
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:55 am
@layman,
both he and you seem to be the ones that are incorrectly dwelling on "design"

EVolution is not a design, if youve failed to absorb that then youre not reading widely enough
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

both he and you seem to be the ones that are incorrectly dwelling on "design"

EVolution is not a design, if youve failed to absorb that then youre not reading widely enough

Heh.
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:15 am
@farmerman,
I didn't quote it (before now), but among other things, he discusses, at some length, the fact that "fitness" has never been satisfactorily defined by evolutionary theorists, and notes that the task is daunting. He calls fitness "an irretrievably obscure concept." This is not directly on that point, but it does relate to the issue of empirical evidence versus beliefs:

Quote:
To see the frailty of the fitness concept most clearly, look at actual attempts to explain why a given trait renders an animal more (or less) fit in its environment. For example, many biologists have commented on the giraffe’s long neck. A prominent theory, from Darwin on, has been that, in times of drought, a longer neck enabled the giraffe to browse nearer the tops of trees, beyond the reach of other animals. So any heritable changes leading to a longer neck were favored by natural selection, rendering the animal more fit and better able to survive during drought. It sounds eminently reasonable, as such stories usually do.

Problems arise only when we try to find evidence favoring this hypothesis over others. My colleague Craig Holdrege has summarized what he and others have found, including this:

First, taller, longer-necked giraffes, being also heavier than their shorter ancestors, require more food, which counters the advantage of height. Second, the many browsing and grazing antelope species did not go extinct during droughts, “so even without growing taller the giraffe ancestor could have competed on even terms for those lower leaves.” Third, male giraffes are up to a meter taller than females. If the males would be disadvantaged by an inability to reach higher branches of the trees, why are not the females and young disadvantaged? Fourth, it turns out that females often feed “at belly height or below.” And in well-studied populations of east Africa, giraffes often feed at or below shoulder level during the dry season, while the rainy season sees them feeding from the higher branches — a seasonal pattern the exact opposite of the one suggested by the above hypothesis.
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:29 am
@layman,
Farmer, can you, in your own words (or anyone you want to quote, I don't care) explain why Dawkins and his ilk objected so vociferously to Gould's theory of punctuated equilibrium?

Why "saltation" was objected to by Neo-Darwinists so adamantly that a brilliant theorist like Goldschmidt was demonized as a crazed nutcase?
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 08:31 am
@layman,
It's always nice to know that I have fans who will follow every post I make and send fan mail without reservation, eh? 8 downvotes, within minutes, for quoting an excerpt from an article written by a respected academician. Now that's loyalty and devotion, eh!?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 08:52 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
So-called "intelligent design" is a proposition for which there is no evidence. Therefore, anyone who does not accept it the proposition can hardly be called an "anti-ID fanatic."

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there has been a considerable amount of evidence for the ID argument presented, which by the way, you and others have not been able to refute but only say 'it ain't there'. Farmer's charge of 'averting your eyes' comes to mind.

Quote:
B y the way, Frank was, far from being an "anti-ID fanatic," constantly ranting his line that if a god were possible, then "intelligent design" were possible.

He was 'fanatic' (my term was 'passionate') in his dogmatic insistence that we cannot ever possibly know. That became his new religion after he rejected his previous one. The passion in these 'new religions' was my point.

Quote:
Of course, were we all suddenly infected with honesty (which i don't expect from the theists),

This is the really sad part of the exchanges in this thread. It makes a real dialog impossible. But let me ask: Do you literally believe that every theist is incapable of honesty? I may not agree with you but my guess is that you are being honest in your remarks.

Quote:
[if we were honest] we'd all acknowledge that were so-called intelligent design a reality, there would have to be said intelligence.

Well, yes there would.

Quote:
Being honest, we'd have to acknowledge that the whole thing is a scam for theistic creation under false colors, given that they will never describe or posjit the designer.

I can understand why you would characterize a religion or a church as a scam to wheedle an offering out of you but what do you imagine a forum thread like this could scam you out of, or into?

And if you were interested, I'd be happy to describe or discuss my thoughts/conclusions about the designer, charges of 'off topic' be damned.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 08:59 am
@layman,
I give up, you the champ layman. 8 thumbs down on a post in mere HOURS! Damn!, there ain't even 8 people talk'n here!
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 09:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The passion in these 'new religions' was my point.

Yeah, Frank is a little different, eh? Like the others, the religious fervor and zeal did not disappear--it simply got transferred to a new "cause" or ideology.

But Frank doesn't seem nearly as resentful as some.

Best I can tell, many of these ex-religious atheists are extremely resentful because they think they have been played. Kinda like a kid who finds out that there aint no Santa Claus, except kids forgive and forget.

Frank apparently doesn't feel that he was totally deceived, he was just deceived by the "certainty" that was presented to him with regard for the topic.

Somebody (forget who) once said: "It is much easier to fool a man than it is to convince him he has been fooled."

But, should he ever become convinced, look out! Worse than a woman scorned, I tellya!

I wonder if any of these devout Neo-Darwinists will ever come to realize that they been played, eh?
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 09:11 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
8 thumbs down on a post in mere HOURS!

I wanna see it hit 20, eh? Actually I miscalculated. -8 means 9 downvotes, since the first one only takes it from 1 to 0. But still much less than I'd like to see.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 09:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
And if you were interested, I'd be happy to describe or discuss my thoughts/conclusions about the designer, charges of 'off topic' be damned.

Actually it wouldn't be off-topic, eh, Leddy. It would be one possible answer to the question asked: Where did the information come from?
0 Replies