DNA, Where did the code come from?

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 09:25 am
@layman,
Quote:
I wonder if any of these devout Neo-Darwinists will ever come to realize that they been played, eh?
That reminds me of one of my whacky ID predictions.

Someday science will uncover enough evidence for ID that even the most devout Neo-Darwinist will say :
"What the **** was I THINKING!"

Or words to that effect...
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:31 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
I wonder if any of these devout Neo-Darwinists will ever come to realize that they been played, eh?
That reminds me of one of my whacky ID predictions.

Someday science will uncover enough evidence for ID that even the most devout Neo-Darwinist will say :

Or words to that effect...

Lynn Margulis, evolutionary theorist extraordinaire, made the same prediction, more or less, eh?:

Quote:
[Margulis] also held a negative view of certain interpretations of Neo-Darwinism that she felt were excessively focused on inter-organismic competition, as she believed that history will ultimately judge them as comprising "a minor twentieth-century religious sect within the sprawling religious persuasion of Anglo-Saxon Biology."

"The neo-Darwinist population-genetics tradition is reminiscent of phrenology, I think, and is a kind of science that can expect exactly the same fate. It will look ridiculous in retrospect, because it is ridiculous."

http://edge.org/conversation/lynn_margulis-lynn-margulis-1938-2011-gaia-is-a-tough-bitch

Phrenology, heh.
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:40 am
@layman,
Quote:
Lynn Margulis, evolutionary theorist extraordinaire,...

There are a number of testimonials to her abilities at that site, including this one, eh?

Quote:
I greatly admire Lynn Margulis's sheer courage and stamina in sticking by the endosymbiosis theory, and carrying it through from being an unorthodoxy to an orthodoxy. I'm referring to the theory that the eukaryotic cell is a symbiotic union of primitive prokaryotic cells. This is one of the great achievements of twentieth-century evolutionary biology, and I greatly admire her for it. (Richard Dawkins)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:59 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Yeh, until that dy e will, I suppose need to muddle on with scientific discoveries that WORK (as RD said). Dont hold your breath because since even the IDer's have no fuckin idea what they are looking for, how do you suppose mere mortal scientists will get up on your cloud?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:21 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
how do you suppose mere mortal scientists will get up on your cloud?
Come fly with me farmerman :-)

“The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious. And why shouldn't it be?--it is the same the angels breathe.” ~Mark Twain
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:22 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there has been a considerable amount of evidence for the ID argument presented, which by the way, you and others have not been able to refute but only say 'it ain't there'. Farmer's charge of 'averting your eyes' comes to mind.

Ive been challenging you and Lamont to actually give us some categories of these ample amounts of data and evidence of which you try to convince Setanta. (I guess Ill hqve to yield to his better memory because I dont recall anything but BS gainsay from you two). Howcome we havent seen any journal articles of all this worldshaking information??

Quote mining of out- of- context statements by random scientists constitutes NOTHING in the way of wvidence. Even Margulis (who is quoted by your other half), Merely helped in the redefinition of the tripartite arrngement of Archean nd Protozoic life (archea /Bacteria/ eukaryota ; the new thing was the free transfer of genomic info among the three).

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Still trying smartssery instead of discussing real evidence eh?
layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ive been challenging you and Lamont to actually give us some categories of these ample amounts of data and evidence of which you try to convince Setanta

Only a fool would try to convince him or you of anything that you didn't already believe, eh, Farmer. Like the man said:

Quote:
Their results are artifacts of their belief, but this fact can hardly be visible to them until they are willing to question what they have previously taken for granted

How about your evidence for "random mutation," eh? I love stories! Can ya tell me one, for bedtime? How did the elephant get his trunk?
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:30 am
@layman,
Quote:
First, taller, longer-necked giraffes, being also heavier than their shorter ancestors, require more food, which counters the advantage of height. Second, the many browsing and grazing antelope species did not go extinct during droughts, “so even without growing taller the giraffe ancestor could have competed on even terms for those lower leaves.” Third, male giraffes are up to a meter taller than females. If the males would be disadvantaged by an inability to reach higher branches of the trees, why are not the females and young disadvantaged? Fourth, it turns out that females often feed “at belly height or below.” And in well-studied populations of east Africa, giraffes often feed at or below shoulder level during the dry season, while the rainy season sees them feeding from the higher branches — a seasonal pattern the exact opposite of the one suggested by the above hypothesis.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:44 am
@layman,
Quote:
First, taller, longer-necked giraffes, being also heavier than their shorter ancestors, require more food, which counters the advantage of height. Second, the many browsing and grazing antelope species did not go extinct during droughts, “so even without growing taller the giraffe ancestor could have competed on even terms for those lower leaves.” Third, male giraffes are up to a meter taller than females. If the males would be disadvantaged by an inability to reach higher branches of the trees, why are not the females and young disadvantaged? Fourth, it turns out that females often feed “at belly height or below.” And in well-studied populations of east Africa, giraffes often feed at or below shoulder level during the dry season, while the rainy season sees them feeding from the higher branches — a seasonal pattern the exact opposite of the one suggested by the above hypothesis.

Sounds more like a recounting of one of Kipling's "Just SO Tales", rather than a scientific discussion attempt. Giraffes are MEGA FAUNAL relicts they adapted by several species to edaphic conditions of a deforesting veld in several continents where their ancestors lived. The "How the giraffe got its neck can be a similar discussion of why the IRISH ELK got its stupidly big antlers, or How the Titanotheres got so big.

There are several overlapping working hypotheses that , although they dont ignore the feeding patterns, they recognize that , geologically, enivironments can change faster than adaptation can catch up. The question remains is'How do the various species of todays giraffes measure up to these environmental challenges? IDers see the world in such simple preciousness. You wanna tweak their cheeks"clever little boys"
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 11:44 am
Quote:
“if ... changes in the genetic material are indeed mediated by other cellular molecules, then the idea of ‘randomness’ lacks all but the most trivial descriptive meaning, referring only to our knowledge of the mutation event.”

What does this mean? Why the reference to "knowledge?"

Let's say I have flipped a coin and have my hand over it. What are your chances of correctly guessing that it's heads or tails? This is a "random" event and your chances are 50-50 right?

But what are the chances that it actually is either heads or tails? 100% to 0%, eh? It's either heads or tails, whether you know it or not. Not being able to predict something makes it appear "random" to us. But that doesn't mean it is random.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:06 pm
@layman,
yes, because evidence has shown that, if you follow Gould's and Eldredges field formations all the way into central New York, there exists a set of intermediate fossil spirifers that appear to dscredit "Punctuated Equilibrium"> PE was a "flvor of the day" for about 10 years until counter evisence began to show up. Gould tried to argue it out but I think he saw his field data was being discredited (No fraud, just lck of time in his and Eldredge's efforts to see that the very formation was not geographically extensive)

PE and "Saltation " are often confused but they are not the same at all. In PE, the ancestral forms must exist along side the derived forms. In saltation its ony old and new forms in the respective rock layers and the time is geologiclly short > In the case of Gould, the intervening time as determined by "missing" strqtigrqphy, was later "Found' as a time strat unit that lay in between G&E's studied layers and represented much of the "missing time"
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:09 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Only a fool would try to convince him or you of anything that you didn't already believe, eh, Farmer. Like the man said:
Smarter way of saying "I have no fuckin idea what Im talking about so Ill just keep quote mining, if thats ok with you"

Whatever floats your boat Lamont
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:44 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Still trying smartssery instead of discussing real evidence eh?
Well at least you can see smartassery, you always turn a blind eye to real evidence.

What's a guy to do?
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
when have you ever presented any evidence ?? Its all been credos and "heres what wed look for" crap.

0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 01:14 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
yes, because evidence has shown that...

Well, Farmer, even assuming that this "evidence" is CONCLUSIVE, that wouldn't answer my question. Dawkins et al did not have that evidence at the time, so their resistance couldn't be based on it.

And I didn't say that PE was saltation, nor was that the question.
parados

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 01:15 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Well at least you can see smartassery, you always turn a blind eye to real evidence.

You mean like your claims that DNA is nothing more than computer code? That evidence?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 01:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
"If it werent for time, everything would happen at once"

I think that you and Lamont are stuck in that mode. Ill await the day when I can actully say that "I was wrong and that ID is for real".

I shall not bet on its eventuality though.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
Good to hear.
No betting required, just stay open to the possibility.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 04:03 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Farmer, can you, in your own words (or anyone you want to quote, I don't care) explain why Dawkins and his ilk objected so vociferously to Gould's theory of punctuated equilibrium?

Why "saltation" was objected to by Neo-Darwinists so adamantly that a brilliant theorist like Goldschmidt was demonized as a crazed nutcase?

There is the question you asked and I answered. If you dont even now what you ask, perhaps you should check into the home for wasted posters.

Who is "ILK"? I think you dont (or wont) understand the issues involved in populational "gradualness" v "Saltationism"

Your dabblings should try to coalesce around some point.