SO youre a "RNA world" fan ??

I like the "RESPIRATION FIRST WORLD"
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

SO youre a "RNA world" fan ??

I like the "RESPIRATION FIRST WORLD"

Naw, can't say that I am, Farmer. I aint a "fan" of nuthin. I don't know enough about it to even make an informed choice.

But, again, I think you are failing to distinguish the specific content of Woese's essay from the general point he is trying to make. I'm citing it for the general point, not to endorse any particular views about particular issues.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:47 am
@FBM,
Quote:

Leadfoot Quote:
..."I don't see any exceptions in the universe unless I take 'biology as natural' as an act of faith and I seem incapable of doing that with anything."

a) There's a shitload of evidence to support the "biology as natural" stance, so it's not even an issue of faith. Once you have abundant, unequivocal evidence, you have knowledge, the mortal enemy of Abrahamic faith.

We can't tackle the whole range of 'biology' at once so I'm limiting the discussion to the subject of the thread OP, that of the ORIGIN of information in DNA, not how it was modified or built upon over time (evolution) but information required for the first self reproducing organism capable of passing on its characteristics which is the thing that makes evolution possible. The "shitload of evidence" for that first organism, by science's own admission, is exactly - Zero. 'It has been lost in the past' as they say.

When I say I am incapable of accepting anything on 'faith' I am using your conception of the term in order to make communication between us possible, that conception being 'something you accept with no evidence whatsoever', if I understand you properly. That would more accurately be called 'blind faith'.

Of course we all have faith in the true sense of the word. I have faith, based on my past experience and understanding of the principles of electricity that when I turn on the wall switch in my room, electrons will flow through the filament in the bulb on the ceiling and light will come from it. This in spite of the fact that no one has ever seen an electron.

Quote:
"Without faith it is impossible to please [God], for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

I try to avoid using scripture to prove anything but if you wanted I could show you many scriptures recommending 'reason' as a path to seek God and gain that faith that pleases him.
I like this particular one you quoted because it contains a sure test to see if that faith is justified. The rewards have been beyond description, or 'more than I can hold' as another scripture says.

Quote:
b) Show us how your belief in an undetectable divine creator not an act of faith. That is, show us the abundant, unequivocal evidence that you've accessed in order to take your god-claim out of the realm of faith and into the realm of knowledge, and on a scale comparable to the claims made in the field of biology. Show us your god in a way that's comparable to what's shown in biology.

Hopefully my answer to a) explained the issue of 'faith' and how the term is misunderstood. Over this and other threads I have tried to say how I have taken my beliefs from the realm of blind faith to that of knowledge though not to your satisfaction. That's not surprising since I don't think second hand experience is good enough for anyone. The reward of satisfaction is reserved for "Those who diligently seek him".
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:48 am
@layman,
so yu just collect electronic billboards and then post em when you wanna sound smart?

OK then, you tell me what point you were trying to massage. I asked tha of you when you were done with yer posting and all I get is posing.

Cmon.

I can start posting about how philosophers are of "limited skills", but that would be redundant.
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:53 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

OK then, you tell me what point you were trying to massage. I asked tha of you when you were done with yer posting and all I get is posing.

I gave response to your question. I wasn't "posing."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:55 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I can start posting about how philosophers are of "limited skills", but that would be redundant.

I could starting posting about how geologists are of "unlimited skills," too, but that would be a lie, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:59 am
@farmerman,
Prior to that, in response to a similar question from Ros, I summarized my position as follows:

Quote:
Put another way, I just don't think that a strictly materialistic, mechanistic, reductionistic, deterministic explanation for life is sufficient. There must be some type of "natural laws" which guide this process.

I actually spammed the **** from Woese to elaborate on this answer.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:20 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Leadfoot Quote:
..."I don't see any exceptions in the universe unless I take 'biology as natural' as an act of faith and I seem incapable of doing that with anything."

a) There's a shitload of evidence to support the "biology as natural" stance, so it's not even an issue of faith. Once you have abundant, unequivocal evidence, you have knowledge, the mortal enemy of Abrahamic faith.

We can't tackle the whole range of 'biology' at once so I'm limiting the discussion to the subject of the thread OP, that of the ORIGIN of information in DNA, not how it was modified or built upon over time (evolution) but information required for the first self reproducing organism capable of passing on its characteristics which is the thing that makes evolution possible. The "shitload of evidence" for that first organism, by science's own admission, is exactly - Zero. 'It has been lost in the past' as they say.

And here we go with another spinning strawman. I challenge you to find anywhere where I said anything about a shitload of evidence for the first organism.

Quote:
When I say I am incapable of accepting anything on 'faith' I am using your conception of the term in order to make communication between us possible, that conception being 'something you accept with no evidence whatsoever', if I understand you properly. That would more accurately be called 'blind faith'.

If you're using my conception of the term, then you are precisely capable of accepting on faith. The only significant difference between faith and blind faith is that "blind" is used as an intensifier.

Quote:
Of course we all have faith in the true sense of the word.

Only if "true" means your own.

Quote:
I have faith, based on my past experience and understanding of the principles of electricity that when I turn on the wall switch in my room, electrons will flow through the filament in the bulb on the ceiling and light will come from it. This in spite of the fact that no one has ever seen an electron.

This is quibbling over semantics. The word "faith" can be applied to so many non-overlapping contexts that using it to equate a reasonable expectation for a light to come on with faith in an invisible, undetectable guy-in-the-sky is just dishonest rhetoric.

Also, say 'hi' to a hydrogen atom's electron orbital:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/18ontxblfw77lpng.png

Quote:
Quote:
"Without faith it is impossible to please [God], for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

I try to avoid using scripture to prove anything but if you wanted I could show you many scriptures recommending 'reason' as a path to seek God and gain that faith that pleases him.
I like this particular one you quoted because it contains a sure test to see if that faith is justified. The rewards have been beyond description, or 'more than I can hold' as another scripture says.

No faith = pissed off god. Period. If you have knowledge that your god exists, you don't have faith.

Quote:
Quote:
b) Show us how your belief in an undetectable divine creator not an act of faith. That is, show us the abundant, unequivocal evidence that you've accessed in order to take your god-claim out of the realm of faith and into the realm of knowledge, and on a scale comparable to the claims made in the field of biology. Show us your god in a way that's comparable to what's shown in biology.

Hopefully my answer to a) explained the issue of 'faith' and how the term is misunderstood. Over this and other threads I have tried to say how I have taken my beliefs from the realm of blind faith to that of knowledge though not to your satisfaction. That's not surprising since I don't think second hand experience is good enough for anyone. The reward of satisfaction is reserved for "Those who diligently seek him".

Well, that adds nothing to the discussion. We already know that you and other theists like to try to claim to have sufficient evidence, but every time you try to actually present some, it gets shot full of holes that it soundly deserves. You need to present something credible, falsifiable, free of logical fallacies, unequivocal and valid in the logical sense. Otherwise, it's not evidence; it's intense desire clouding reasoning. Anyone genuinely skilled at thorough, critical reasoning would conclude that you haven't shown evidence for anything.
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:24 am
@layman,
In support of a claim (or two) I made earlier:

Quote:
Microbiologist Carl R. Woese today won the $500,000 Crafoord Prize in Biosciences given by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. The annual prize marks accomplishments in scientific fields not covered by the Nobel Prizes in science, which the academy also selects.

Woese received a "genius" research award in 1984 from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. He was elected into the National Academy of Sciences in 1988, and in 1992 was the 12th recipient of microbiology's highest honor, the Leeuwenhoek Medal, given each decade by the Dutch Royal Academy of Science.

In 1977, in collaboration with U. of I. microbiologist Ralph S. Wolfe, Woese overturned one of the major dogmas of biology. Until that time, biologists had taken for granted that all life on Earth belonged to one of two primary lineages, the eukaryotes...

In a June 1998 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Woese proposed a theory of the universal ancestor, based on a genetic annealing model in which lateral gene transfer played a major role. He wrote: "The universal ancestor is not a discrete entity. It is, rather, a diverse community of cells that survives and evolves as a biological unit. This communal ancestor has a physical history but not a genealogical one.

In the same journal in June 2002, Woese refined his theory, arguing that life did not begin with one primordial cell. Instead, he said there were initially at least three simple types of loosely constructed cellular organizations swimming in a pool of genes, evolving in a communal way that aided one another in bootstrapping into the three distinct types of cells by sharing through lateral gene transfer their evolutionary inventions.

https://insideillinois.info/blog/view/6371/212307
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:33 am
@FBM,
You'll have to forgive FBM, eh, Leddy. At one time he had great religious faith. He is now just as devoted to his new faith, scientism. The fervor had just had it's allegiance transferred, that's all.

We all suffer from the misfortune that FMB came across a summary of informal logical fallacies on the internet a few months back. He doesn't always understand them well enough to accurately assess them, but he now always finds some way to drop the name of at least one (often several) in almost every post he makes.

He is just as certain and cocksure that he possesses "the truth" now as he ever was. Like I said, he just changed his articles of faith.

Now he's kinda like a reformed smoker who pretends to be oppressively imposed upon if he imagines that there's any smoke within half a mile of him, ya know?

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:37 am
@layman,
Quote:
Woese proposed a theory of the universal ancestor, based on a genetic annealing model in which lateral gene transfer played a major role. He wrote: "The universal ancestor is not a discrete entity. It is, rather, a diverse community of cells that survives and evolves as a biological unit.

The follow on Sounds even more like what Gupta said.

NOW, you know, the big duty of science is to collect forensic evidence on all this magazine talk. As a closet interested party in this, Id really hope for the Archea clades it fits paleo which posits now that life evidence seems to have been "kicked on" at least 3 separate times and places. (a little bit of oxygen and free radical OH-, ClO- is needed for creation of layered clays from feldpars and micas
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:01 am
@farmerman,
Farmer, in that last post I made spamming parts of Woese's essay, I asked a couple of questions. Have any answers to offer?
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:10 am
@layman,
I think this quote from Bohm is worth spamming again, since it's just dripping with irony, eh?

Quote:
Nearly 40 years ago the physicist-philosopher David Bohm exposed the fundamental flaw in the mechanistic reductionist perspective (5): “It does seem odd… that just when physics is… moving away from mechanism, biology and psychology are moving closer to it. If the trend continues… scientists will be regarding living and intelligent beings as mechanical, while they suppose that inanimate matter is too complex and subtle to fit into the limited categories of mechanism.”

I assume he had Neo-Darwinism and Skinnerian behaviorism in mind when he singled out "biology and psychology." A topsy-turvy worldview, sho nuff:

Quote:
...scientists will be regarding living and intelligent beings as mechanical, while they suppose that inanimate matter is too complex and subtle to fit into the limited categories of mechanism.”

layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:22 am
A somewhat humorous, yet revealing, tale from another brilliant, yet heretical, evolutionary theorist who ridicules Neo-Darwinism, Lynn Margulis (Carl Sagan's ex-wife), eh?:

Quote:
Lewontin visited an economics class at the University of Massachusetts a few years ago to talk to the students. In a kind of neo-Darwinian jockeying, he said that evolutionary changes are due to the Fisher-Haldane mechanisms: mutation, emigration, immigration, and the like. At the end of the hour, he said that none of the consequences of the details of his analysis had been shown empirically. His elaborate cost-benefit mathematical treatment was devoid of chemistry and biology.

I asked him why, if none of it could be shown experimentally or in the field, he was so wedded to presenting a cost-benefit explanation derived from phony human social-economic "theory." Why, when he himself was pointing to serious flaws related to the fundamental assumptions, did he want to teach this nonsense?

His response was that there were two reasons: the first was "P.E." "P.E.?," I asked. "What is P.E.? Population explosion? Punctuated equilibrium? Physical education?" "No," he replied, "P.E. is `physics envy,'" which is a syndrome in which scientists in other disciplines yearn for the mathematically explicit models of physics. His second reason was even more insidious: if he didn't couch his studies in the neo- Darwinist thought style (archaic and totally inappropriate language, in my opinion), he wouldn't be able to obtain grant money that was set up to support this kind of work.

http://edge.org/conversation/lynn_margulis-lynn-margulis-1938-2011-gaia-is-a-tough-bitch
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:24 am
@layman,
In the next paragraph, she offers this assessment:

Quote:
The neo-Darwinist population-genetics tradition is reminiscent of phrenology, I think, and is a kind of science that can expect exactly the same fate. It will look ridiculous in retrospect, because it is ridiculous...

I've been critical of mathematical neo-Darwinism for years; it never made much sense to me. We were all told that random mutations — most of which are known to be deleterious — are the main cause of evolutionary change. I remember waking up one day with an epiphanous revelation: I am not a neo-Darwinist!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:04 am
@FBM,
Quote:
If you have knowledge that your god exists, you don't have faith
For an atheist, you sure have a lot of 'faith' in religious dogma.

Ooooh! Pretty electron! Who knew they were so colorful.
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:14 am
I'm thinkin maybe Spacemoose, the "master of time," brought DNA here, eh?:

https://www.hackcanada.com/canadian/zines/spacemoose/time_machine2.html
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
If you have knowledge that your god exists, you don't have faith
For an atheist, you sure have a lot of 'faith' in religious dogma.

Ooooh! Pretty electron! Who knew they were so colorful.

Oh. OK. Now I'm convinced that your god is real. Good work. Thanks for the abundant and unequivocal evidence. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/ddpan.gif
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:27 am
@layman,
Quote:
You'll have to forgive FBM, eh, Leddy. At one time he had great religious faith. He is now just as devoted to his new faith, scientism. The fervor had just had it's allegiance transferred, that's all.
Oh I do, because he had the grace to admit it.

Reformed alcoholic might be a good fit too.
Naw, on second thought, that might require him to accept AA's 'higher power'. Ex-smoker it is, stamping out 'second hand smoke' is pretty high on his list.

pass me that joint would ya please?
FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:30 am
@Leadfoot,
Good to see that you're not resorting to ad hominem fallacies and instead are persisting in presenting abundant and unequivocal evidence for your g0d-claim. Very intellecutally honest of you there, I'd say. Nice work, yet again. Would blindly believe again. Please, keep it up. This is how you'll convert the well-educated world, for sure.
0 Replies