If you had to pick one of the presidential candidates from the other party who would you pick?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'd pick Bush while holding my nose. But the task you've set for us is a VERY DIFFICULT ONE.

Anyway...since I did make a choice, I gotta take advantage and reiterate something I said in another thread here:

The move by the Cruz camp to post that Flashdance video in reply to Trump's "maniac" comment was a jewel...a piece of political brilliance.

If Cruz actually came up with that on his own...he goes way up in my estimation. (He's got to go a lot further up in order to reach surface!)

If it was the idea of an aide...Hillary Clinton ought to buy him away from the Cruz campaign...because he/she is a winner!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
If you had to pick one of the presidential candidates from the other party who would you pick?

Is the assumption that either party can win the general, and that I can pick the competing party's candidate most likely to lose it for me? Then I would choose Donald Trump. Nothing like Trump to mobilize Democratic voters.

Or is the assumption that the competing party wins the general and I choose the candidate that would minimize the damage? That would be Rand Paul. According to a recent Politifact ranking, he's the second-least-frequent liar (second to Jeb Bush), and in my judgment he's hands-down the least likely to start new wars. Given the last Republican president's choices on war and peace, this issue overrides all others for me.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Assuming you couldn't pick the party you favor who would be the lesser of the evils to you?

The least-evil party, you mean? That would be the Green Party. I'm actually quite fond of it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 04:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
<shrug>

I know of no other way to answer or see no other option.

I'm a bit muddles because as far as I can see it's not a Democrack vs Repug scenario for me as I'm not of either party.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:05 pm
@Thomas,
I looked into Rand Paul and had to back off..

Have voted green once, back in greenville, northern California, but it made no matter.
Thomas

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I looked into Rand Paul and had to back off..

Which Republican would you prefer, then?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:13 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Or is the assumption that the competing party wins the general and I choose the candidate that would minimize the damage?

This one (it's more interesting).
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Nods, see the point, from both sides, or more sides, as that more sides may start to happen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I said Kasich, but was then disabused by information.

Don't make me say Bush.

Huntsman, not running at this time.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Assuming you couldn't pick the party you favor who would be the lesser of the evils to you?
Trump. Purely for the entertainment value Smile
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 05:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
George Pataki. Was a moderate for many years in New York State, no reason to think he won't be moderate if gets elected, despite whatever crazy stuff he might have to say to get the nomination.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 07:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is it OK to choose Carlos Danger from the Libertine Party?
He has chutzpah.
And what you see is what you get.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 08:06 pm
Im still thinking and may be right up to election time.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 08:11 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I've had glimmers of interest in Kasich, and, not seeing that before, am not clear that I agree with Lash on that - - - if I go read Kasich, that may be a good idea by him. I'll say I'm open to read about him.

Reasons someone on the Left might like Kasich:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/robert-reich-kasich-best-bad-lot/996264

Reasons someone on the Left might dislike Kasich:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/john-kasichs-quiet-campaign-to-cut-abortion-access/
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 08:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

There is a lot policy wise that I like about Hillary. Aside from guns, Hillary and I agree on many many things.

On the other hand, the Clintons are political thugs, and I truly cannot abide their thuggery. The thought of the Clintons back in power spreading more of their political poison into America's system is quite unpleasant to me.

Wasn't there a third Democrat running? Martin O'Malley or something? I don't know anything about him.

I guess I'd pick Sanders. I may not like most of his policies, but at least he isn't a thug.

My reason for picking Sanders has nothing to do with guns. I know some people regard him as pro-gun, but to me he is an anti-gun extremist.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 12:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Interesting choice, I would think he's more dissimilar than Hillary to your political positions.

2 reasons.
1> Getting Sanders in office would finally shut the far left activists right the hell up. It would finally allow the extreme left to either succeed or fail (with fail being the more likely scenario).
2> I couldn't possible handle a Hillary presidency. I hate her and everything she stands for. She is a wind sock in a pantsuit with a fortune in her pocket. She cares nothing for this country or it's people. She only wants her name in the books so she will be remembered for something other then the crimes she's committed in the past.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 05:43 pm
I'd join Tom Brady and pick, Mr. Trump. Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 06:07 pm
I think I have to go with Sanders. Politically, we couldn't be further apart, but I think he honest and has the best interests of the country at heart.

I have no idea what I would do if the choice came down to Clinton and either Trump or Cruz.
Miller

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 08:19 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Martin O'Malley or something? I don't know anything about him

There's nothing of interest to know!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 11:09 am
@roger,
I find that curious, I agree that Sanders is much more honest of a person, but wonder how you think Hillary's personal failings might matter to your politics.

E.g. would you prefer a dishonest politician who did everything the way you want or an honest politician who did nothing the way you want?

(I'd prefer the policy more than the persona)
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 04:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Lyndon Larouche. Thatll scare the kids strait.
0 Replies