The upcoming Republican Party convention

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 02:57 pm
This thread needs some of that classic tit-for-tat that the others have had today.

I'll start.

The Democratic Party is smarter than I thought. Who knew that they'd spent the last two years inserting Zell Miller as a deep mole into the Republican Party so that he could bring the whole operation down from the inside.

Zell Miller, proud Democrat, we salute you.

Seriously, the Dems couldn't have hoped for a bigger convention f*ckup from the Republicans than was last night.

A thing of beauty, if you consider biting the heads off live children to be art:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/atrios/saturno.jpg
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 07:40 pm
Now how's THAT for a flip-flop?

Quote:

MSNBC
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:20 pm
Bush Convention bounce---11%

A good time was had by all.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:11 pm
Sofia wrote:
Bush Convention bounce---11%

A good time was had by all.

enjoy it while ya can. soon the people will be back to wondering about the day to day stuff.

i doubt you are old enough, but do you remember on laugh in, "the flying fickle finger of fate?"
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:00 pm
Shamedly so, Don't Tread.

(Why don't they rerun that show? I loved Henry Gibson. {But, I was only eight or nine...})
Smile
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:28 pm
Polls taken during convention:
Time: Bush ahead by 11%
Newsweek: Bush ahead by 11%
Zogby: Bush ahead by 2%

That leaves us two ways to read this information:

A) the Bush lead is between 2% and 11%, perhaps somewhere in the middle.

Or, you can read it the right way, which is:

B) Zogby says the Bush lead is 2%, so it's 2%.

Zogby has gotten the last three presidential elections correct to within 1%, with the winner correct each time. No other polling firm can make that claim.

Bush is ahead by 2% on the day after the convention.

Nothing to get worried about. Very Happy
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:34 pm
Zogby's doing their polling from the middle of the Arabian desert. Why do they have 2%, and everyone else has 11%?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:42 pm
Zogby's poll was done Aug 30 - Sep 2.
Time's poll was done Aug 31 - Sep 2.
Newsweek's poll was done Sep 2 - 3.

Newsweek also published how the results it got on Sep 2 differed from those of Sep 3.
On Sep 2, Bush led 49% to 43%. On Sep 3, he led 54% to 38%.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:44 pm
Well, I feel better about Zogby.
Thanks.

(Figuring out what the heck happened on the 2nd...)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:02 pm
Sofia wrote:
Shamedly so, Don't Tread.

(Why don't they rerun that show? I loved Henry Gibson. {But, I was only eight or nine...})
Smile

yeah... damn, it's going by fast!

over here in la la land, it comes up on local once in a while and occassionally on com cent. one of the greats. i liked henry to. but goldie! aye carrumba!!

i wouldn't be surprised if a new edition comes out. the socio=political climate is quite similar.
Cool
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:05 pm
That would be great!
Didn't Nixon play the piano on Laugh In?
He said, "Sock it to ...ME?"
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:08 pm
Sofia wrote:
Well, I feel better about Zogby.
Thanks.

(Figuring out what the heck happened on the 2nd...)

2nd was bush night? i really did listen carefully and with a fairly open mind in hopes that he would say something that really got me. but it was kind of "floaty" ( relative to a con/rep floatiness lol) and he still didn't tell me where the money is gonna come from for all of this stuff. obviously not from taxes, nobody is gonna have to pay 'em anymore.

hey, it's a concern for me... i'm getting up there and i'm gonna need to buy metamucil soon! Shocked
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:11 pm
Sofia wrote:
That would be great!
Didn't Nixon play the piano on Laugh In?
He said, "Sock it to ...ME?"

yeah! hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! he didn't hear me, but i said that to him when i shook hands with him. pop, a nixon man going way back, was mortified. think he thought that secret service was gonna bring out the cuffs...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:16 pm
You sound like a Libertarian, or a one-issue guy (Social Security?)

A lot of Conservatives are really pissed about the deficit. I'm sympatico. The war costed a bundle, and I didn't think we could afford 15BILLION to Africa's AIDS problem. (Maybe less.) He is throwing it around like there's no tomorrow, but he has recognised it (lots of pissed people have helped with that!), and he has said he's going to start paying it down. 'Course I understand that may not be good enough for you.

What's your usual party?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:29 pm
Even the Weekly Standard's Jonathan V. Last thinks Zel Miller went too far:

Quote:
Portions of Miller's speech really are unfair. "While young Americans are dying in the sands of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan, our nation is being torn apart and made weaker because of the Democrats' manic obsession to bring down our commander-in-chief," he charges. Surely this is true only for a small subset of Democrats--the 18 percent or so who supported Howard Dean and were soundly rejected by mainstream Democrats in the primaries.
link
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:31 pm
SHUT UP!! Don't Tread...(can I call you Don't)

You shook hands with NIXON!! Details!!!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:46 pm
nimh wrote:
Even the Weekly Standard's Jonathan V. Last thinks Zel Miller went too far:

Quote:
Portions of Miller's speech really are unfair. "While young Americans are dying in the sands of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan, our nation is being torn apart and made weaker because of the Democrats' manic obsession to bring down our commander-in-chief," he charges. Surely this is true only for a small subset of Democrats--the 18 percent or so who supported Howard Dean and were soundly rejected by mainstream Democrats in the primaries.
link

The Dems were entirely too worried about the swing voter therefor their message and Convention are/were milk toast, trying to be everything to everyone in a sense.

That's why Zell's speech isn't going to hurt the Repubs, they just rolled on with their message as if to welcome any swing voter to join in, not so much a wishy washy message to them.

Granted neither party are traditonal and have a new flavor woven into their strategies.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:20 pm
Quote:
Why do they [Zogby] have 2%, and everyone else has 11%?

Sofia, by "everyone else" you mean Time and Newsweek. That's it. There are three post-convention polls: Time, Newsweek and Zogby.

Zogby has it 2%, and Time and Newsweek have it 11%.

And Zogby has been more accurate in the past than Time and Newsweek.

So the correct question is certainly not, "Why isn't Zogby agreeing with "everyone else", (with "everyone else" being Time and Newsweek)?

The correct question is, "What the hell is wrong with Time and Newsweek-they're way off from Zogby?" .

The contenders compare themselves to the champ. The champ doesn't compare himself to the contenders. Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
Fox had 11% also.

<sighs, puts on rainhat>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:30 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
The correct question is, "What the hell is wrong with Time and Newsweek-they're way off from Zogby?" .

This is what I tried to explain above. Part of the thing is probably that the dates were different.

Eg, Zogby's poll is from before Bush's speech, with part of its numbers dating back from the beginning of the week. Newsweek's are half from Friday, half from Thursday.

So if momentum's been growing and crescending after Bush's speech, that would explain a big part of the difference between the Zogby and Newsweek results.

Dunno about the Time one, tho, cause the sample for that one was pretty simultaneous to Zogby's.

We'll see which pollster is out of sync when the rest of the pollsters start chiming in.

But it should be noted that Newsweek had thus far been polling pretty unfavourable for Bush. Only previous time Newsweek ever had Bush at an 11-point lead on Kerry was in early January.
0 Replies