The upcoming Republican Party convention

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:23 pm
I haven't read the text of Cheney's comment, but this is the first thing the man has spoken since taking office for which I applaud him.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:24 pm
ps

sofia

It ought to, by corollary, make you rather unproud of the others who use this issue to divide Americans.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:00 pm
I couldn't make this up ... direct from the Republican National Committee website:

Quote:
"NEXT WEEK, people who hate Republicans plan to release swarms of mice in New York City to terrorize delegates to the National Republican Convention.

"Republican-haters plan on dressing up as RNC volunteers, and giving false directions to little blue hair ladies from Kansas, sending them into the sectors of New York City that are unfit for human habitation.

"They plan on throwing pies and Lord knows what else at Republican visitors to the city. Prostitutes with AIDS plan to seduce Republican visitors, and discourage the use of condoms ...."

Want more Pop-eyed Paranoia in Party Hats?

Go to www.rnc.org/rncresearch/read.aspx?ID=4576 and click on "protesters supporting John Kerry."

I do hope the RNC can suppress these evil doings in the Big Apple: the idea of people dressing up as Republicans just gives me the creeps.

And denying Republicans condoms only encourages them to reproduce. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:42 am
Quoting an opinion peice and giving credit to the GOP is a wonderful propaganda tactic. Are you sure you're not really a republican?

Actual quote that PDiddie has quoted here comes from http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showfast.html?article=42692 not the RNC.org site.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:49 am
The RNC LINKED IT at their site, you ninny!

That's too priceless, PD.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:59 am
Then why did PDiddie say "direct from the Republican National Committee website:" Instead of "directly off a link from the Republican National Committee website:"?

Seems kind of disingenuous to me, but hey, what difference does that make right? It's all good.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:10 am
It would seem the significant point here is that the RNC site would link such garbage, no? Unless, of course, the goal is to simply make even more stupid the folks who might attend their site.

And I've had second thoughts on Cheney's support of gay unions. The Republicans need to, and will, portray themselves at the convention as moderate in view, so as not to scare hell out folks by being forthright and honest. This remark by Cheney falls too close to the convention.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:49 am
watching for Levi (the makers of Dockers) stock to go up, at least until the election is over. I may even buy a pair so I can go in disguise to the Albaturkey Republican Headquarters. Now where can I get some Brylcreem?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:57 am
Quote:
And I've had second thoughts on Cheney's support of gay unions. The Republicans need to, and will, portray themselves at the convention as moderate in view, so as not to scare hell out folks by being forthright and honest. This remark by Cheney falls too close to the convention.

I agree. Both candidates strive to seek moderate views around convention time, so it's not surprising really.

I highly doubt that the republicans will honor their official platform promises of 'supporting a same-sex marriage amendment' and other such contentious positions while giving speeches next week...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:07 pm
Brylcream is available at the RNC site along with other goods and info of similar high value.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:22 pm
I think you, blatham (or anyone else), should at least give gay rights dissenters the benefit of the doubt that they feel as strongly against it as we do for it.

(You should have heard me defending gays in Psychology class today. Depressing views.)

I believe Cheney is honestly sharing his views. He said he supports the President, but personally held a different view. I loved the way he said it. "Freedom means freedom for ALL people."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:55 pm
sofia

My sincere hope is that he is himself sincere, but the timing suggests election probably more than integrity.

However, that suspicion doesn't apply to you, and I respect you greatly for your stand today in class.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:14 pm
Not arguing-- but Bush may lose some far Righties over this. I can't imagine Cheney (or a Rove plan) would pander to what tiny contingent of gays we may gather, in the face of losing quite a tidy sum of 'one issue' or 'moral' votes.

It is quite unfortunate that the basic tenets of Conservatism also accumilate people, who deem social rigidity as a Conservative plank. Many of these folks are 'one-issue' voters. The one-issue used to be abortion. Now, it seems to be Gay Marriage.

To be truthful, I'd love to trade those one-issuers for the gays.

Aside-- It was interesting to watch. Cheney was not in the safest place to share his view. I think it caught his wife (who was sitting there on stage) by surprise. Before he dropped his bomb, he said "We have two daughters, and are very proud of both of them."

There were at least a couple of Religious Righties in the audience, and I think the questioner was one. I think her question was simply, "What is your opinion of Gay Marriage?"

It felt like a hard moment for him.

Anyhoo, I guess we'll see the polling fallout in the next few days.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:29 pm
This will be interesting:

Quote:
On September 1, the third day of the Republican National Convention, join us as we stand corner to corner -- from the corner of Broadway and Wall all the way up to the Republican National Convention at Madison Square Garden -- to form the World's Longest Unemployment Line.

When: Wednesday, September 1st, 8:13 - 8:31 a.m.
(We will assemble earlier)

Where: Beginning at the corner of Broadway and Wall St., up to
31st St. and then west along 31st St to 7th Ave. -
ending across from Madison Square Garden and the
site of the Republican National Convention.

Who: Over 5,000 pink-slip waving participants representing eight million
unemployed Americans
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:10 pm
http://americablog.blogspot.com/lipstickfinalx.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 05:28 pm
Quote:
It is quite unfortunate that the basic tenets of Conservatism also accumilate people, who deem social rigidity as a Conservative plank. Many of these folks are 'one-issue' voters. The one-issue used to be abortion. Now, it seems to be Gay Marriage.

Now and again, we stand so close that our breaths kiss.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:29 pm
Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:05 pm
PDiddie wrote:
I was just checking the GOP Convention website, and they list the top entertainers signed to perform, and it's pretty much nine white people with one token Latino thrown in for good measure (and a rather pitiful no-name crowd of white people at that).

Here's the list:

- Michael W. Smith (white)
- Daniel Rodriguez (Latino)
- Daize Shayne (white)
- The Gatlin Brothers (white, white, and white)
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck (white)
- Ron Silver (white)
- Sara Evans (white)
- Dana Glover (white)

Now to be fair, I'm sure they'll end up having lots of black people and other minorities at the convention.

I understand the Garden is a bitch to keep clean.

Good God, the nerve of them! Can't they come up with even one token black?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:09 pm
blatham wrote:
It would seem the significant point here is that the RNC site would link such garbage, no? Unless, of course, the goal is to simply make even more stupid the folks who might attend their site.

Oh you cynical Mountie.

The man has a lesbian daughter.

She, of course can't make him change his rigid mind, but a few votes can!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:12 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Now and again, we stand so close that our breaths kiss.

Oh you seductive Mountie.

I'm glad there's no chance we'll ever stand so close.
0 Replies