Playing Politics with Terror Alerts

McGentrix

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:34 am
Let me see if i have this straight...

The government is continuously receiving and understanding tons of raw data every day regarding terrorist threats and activities. Some of it turns out to be true, some bogus. The stuff that the people translating and digesting this information then pass it up the chain of command where it gets further study and understanding.

Eventually, after being strained and thouroughly checked, some of it reaches Tom Ridge who then needs to decide if the threat is worthy of an alert. If it is, then he goes on TV and tells people that credible sources have shown that a threat has been discovered and we should be aware of it.

Meanwhile, other information is continually coming in and that info needs to be translated and researched. If new information comes in that makes old intelligence obsolete, then that is taken into consideration.

Let's take the presidential briefing that outlined the fact that Osama wanted to attack the US as an example. It was vague, had few details, and was mostly speculative. Yet it made it's way through to Bush. Today, that information gets handled differently. Threats like that are taken more seriously. But, instead of taking those threats seriously, we have gotten to the point where some would rather complain about them and discuss how they are being used and political leverage instead of being taken as they are intended, warnings of impending possible terrorist activities.

The warnings are what get publicized, imagine what doesn't. Imagine the tons of information that pours into our intelligence agancies every day that has to be processed and understood.

Now, was the latest alert used for political posturing? I don't know. I do know that they ahd information and they warned us about it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:32 am
McGentrix wrote:

I think we already know the answer to that question, McG.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:46 am
LOL
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
joefromchicago wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Quite the zinger, Joe. Is that all you got on the subject?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:02 am
McGentrix wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Quite the zinger, Joe. Is that all you got on the subject?

Many people mistakenly believe that the key to comedy is a good punch line. They're wrong: it's a good straight line. That's why, in vaudeville, the straight man got a 60% cut of the team's pay and the comedian got only 40%. Offer up a good straight line and the punch line practically writes itself.

So is that all I have on the subject? Well, McG, keep talking and we'll see.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:10 am
The government is continuously receiving and understanding tons of raw data every day regarding terrorist threats and activities. Some of it turns out to be true, some bogus. The stuff that the people translating and digesting this information then pass it up the chain of command where it gets further study and understanding.

Eventually, after being strained and thouroughly checked, some of it reaches Tom Ridge who then needs to decide if the threat is worthy of an alert. If it is, then he goes on TV and tells people that credible sources have shown that a threat has been discovered and we should be aware of it.

Meanwhile, other information is continually coming in and that info needs to be translated and researched. If new information comes in that makes old intelligence obsolete, then that is taken into consideration.

Let's take the presidential briefing that outlined the fact that Osama wanted to attack the US as an example. It was vague, had few details, and was mostly speculative. Yet it made it's way through to Bush. Today, that information gets handled differently. Threats like that are taken more seriously. But, instead of taking those threats seriously, we have gotten to the point where some would rather complain about them and discuss how they are being used and political leverage instead of being taken as they are intended, warnings of impending possible terrorist activities.

The warnings are what get publicized, imagine what doesn't. Imagine the tons of information that pours into our intelligence agancies every day that has to be processed and understood.

Now, was the latest alert used for political posturing? I don't know. I do know that they had information and they warned us about it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:11 am
McGentrix wrote:

By all means.

Let's let you get this straight.

From the Washington Post (no link, you won't bother anyway):

Quote:
"Most of the al-Qaeda surveillance of five financial institutions that led to a new terrorism alert Sunday was conducted before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and authorities are not sure whether the casing of the buildings has continued, numerous intelligence and law enforcement officials said yesterday... 'There is nothing right now that we're hearing that is new,' said one senior law enforcement official who was briefed on the alert. 'Why did we go to this level? I still don't know that.'"

The data was three years old.

Tom Ridge, in his Sunday remarks, said, "President Bush has told you, and I have reiterated the promise, that when we have specific credible information, that we will share it. Now this afternoon, we do have new and unusually specific information about where al-Qaeda would like to attack."

Quote:
"The quality of this intelligence, based on multiple reporting streams in multiple locations, is rarely seen and it is alarming in both the amount and specificity of the information."

"As of now," said Ridge on Sunday, "this is what we know: reports indicate that al-Qaeda is targeting several specific buildings, including the International Monetary Fund and World Bank in the District of Columbia; Prudential Financial in Northern New Jersey; and Citigroup buildings and the New York Stock Exchange in New York."

Quote:
"I certainly realize that this is sobering news, not just about the intent of our enemies, but of their specific plans and a glimpse into their methods."

"But we must understand," said Ridge on Sunday, "that the kind of information available to us today is the result of the President's leadership in the war against terror."

Quote:
"We don't do politics in the Department of Homeland Security."

I hope you have got it now.

And a personal aside to Secretary Ridge:

GTFO, Tom. Now. Go make some money so you can put your kids through college, since you have made it clear you cannot do so on the $175,000 salary we are paying you. Go away, and don't come back to politics once your children graduate.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:21 am
How long should they have waited after first learning of this latest threat before alerting people? As I said, they had the data, then, after further investigation, they learned the data was three years old. The bombing of the embassies in Africa were in planning for 5 years. Does the age of a threat make it any less credible? How long did the plans for 9/11 take?

You seem to be hung up on the fact that the plans are 3 years old. Information has also shown that surveilance was done last January and that attacks may be made 60 days prior to election.

Better safe than sorry.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:28 am
WASHINGTON, Aug. 3 - Senior government officials said Tuesday that new intelligence pointing to a current threat of a terrorist attack on financial targets in New York and possibly in Washington - not just information about surveillance on specific buildings over the years - was a major factor in the decision over the weekend to raise the terrorism alert level.

The officials said the separate stream of intelligence, which they had not previously disclosed, reached the White House only late last week and was part of a flow that the officials said had prompted them to act urgently in the last few days.

The officials disclosed the information a day after the Bush administration acknowledged for the first time that much of the surveillance activity cited last weekend by Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge to justify the latest, specific warnings had been at least three years old. At the same time, the White House offered a vigorous defense of its decision to heighten the alert in Manhattan, Newark and Washington, with officials saying there was still good reason for alarm.

"I think it's wrong and plain irresponsible to suggest that it was based on old information,'' Scott McClellan, the White House spokesman, said of the heightened warning as President Bush traveled to Dallas on a campaign swing.

In an appearance in New York, Mr. Ridge responded forcefully to a question about whether election-year politics had played a part in determining how and when the intelligence was released.

"We don't do politics in the Department of Homeland Security,'' Mr. Ridge said.

He added: "The detail, the sophistication, the thoroughness of this information, if you had access to it, you'd say we did the right thing. Government should let the public know about situations like this. It's not about politics. It's about confidence in government telling you when they get the information.''

In addition to the surveillance activity, detailed in reports uncovered late last week from computer disks in Pakistan, a senior intelligence official said that "very current and recent activity on the part of Al Qaeda'' has left little doubt that "Al Qaeda is moving toward the execution stage of attacks here in the homeland.''

The language used by senior administration officials on Tuesday in warning of a possible attack was at least as strong as that Mr. Ridge used in announcing the alert on Sunday, and much stronger than the language used on Monday, when the officials acknowledged that the reconnaissance reports dated back to the period surrounding the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Among other things, one official disclosed on Tuesday that one intelligence report had pointed to a possible attack "in August or September.''

That shifting tone may prove frustrating to the public, providing little guidance for assessing the gravity of threat information whose details remain shrouded in intelligence reports not available to anyone outside the highest ranks of the government.

A senior White House official who mentioned the new stream of intelligence in an interview refused to say anything more about its source or content. The official said it had not been publicly disclosed out of concern that such a step could compromise intelligence and law enforcement operations in the United States and around the world. Officials would not describe those operations but said they were meant to disrupt a possible plot.

But senior federal intelligence and law enforcement officials also described the intelligence as important. They said it had reached the White House last Friday and strongly reinforced the sense of alarm prompted by the separate flow of information that was arriving at the same time via the Central Intelligence Agency from Pakistan and that was based on information culled from seized computer disks that contained detailed case reports of reconnaissance conducted on buildings in Manhattan, Newark and Washington in 2000 and 2001.

In providing new details about those case reports, senior government officials described them for the first time as discrete documents, each at least 20 pages long and devoted to a particular target, and perhaps most intriguingly, they said, written in "perfect English.''

The author of the reports was "obviously someone who has lived an extensive period of time in the West, exceptionally professional, exceptionally meticulous,'' a senior intelligence official said in a telephone interview. "Anyone who thinks that these terrorists are a bunch of ne'er-do-wells, if 9/11 didn't convince them, these case reports would convince them.''

Though the case reports do appear to have been completed before the Sept. 11 attacks, as Bush administration officials first acknowledged on Monday, some of the computer files appear to have been updated or accessed more recently. One was a file modified in January and including a photograph of a building, a senior White House official said. The official also said there was reason to believe that people associated with Al Qaeda who are still at large would have had access to the reports.

The officials would not identify the building that appears in the recently modified file, except to say that it was not one of the five that have been named. Those five are the New York Stock Exchange and the Citigroup Center in Manhattan, the Prudential building in Newark and the headquarters of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund in Washington.

The officials also acknowledged that they had not been able to assess the significance of the fact that the computer file had been modified. Such a modification could have meant that the file was updated with newly taken surveillance photographs but might simply have meant that the file had recently been opened and closed.

The White House officials spoke in a lengthy interview arranged at the request of The New York Times in which they offered a detailed accounting of the decision-making that led to the terrorist alert.

The computer disks on which the case reports were found were linked to Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan, a 25-year-old Pakistani computer engineer who was arrested by Pakistani authorities on July 13, American officials have confirmed. The officials have described Mr. Khan's arrest, carried out at the request of the C.I.A. , as having provided the crucial breakthrough in the case, leading them not only to the case reports but also to information about other Qaeda officials still at large who appear to have had access to the documents.

Mr. Khan has been described as having cooperated with Pakistani and American interrogators, and some American officials said that the information he himself provided, as distinct from the computer records, may also have pointed to the prospect of a current threat of terrorism in New York and Washington.

A senior official from the Department of Homeland Security was among those who sought to emphasize that the computer files containing the case reports were not the only new source of intelligence being reviewed at senior levels of the administration in the hours before the alert was made public.

"All the information wasn't from one source; there was new information that was introduced late Friday night,'' the official said.

For weeks, senior intelligence officials have said that multiple streams of intelligence, including information provided from intercepted communications, interrogations of Qaeda prisoners and foreign intelligence services, had pointed to the increasing possibility of a major terrorist attack in the United States this year, most likely before the Nov. 2 election.

But the government officials said the intelligence reviewed only late last week was more significant in pointing to financial targets in New York and possibly Washington.

link
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:30 am
The data on the 9/11 attack would have been five years old as that's how long the attack had been planned.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
We're through the Looking Glass now.

Tom Ridge issues a dire Security Threat (dare I use the word 'imminent'?) and it SO SEVERE that Laura Bush is dispatched to Ground Zero of the Threat Alert, Citicorp's headquarters in Manhattan.

What is the First Lady doing at one of the terrorists' primary targets? Shocked

Why she's campaigning, of course. Rolling Eyes

The three-year-old data -- new of course because it's just been announced -- sparking the latest Terra Threat specifically names New York locations, but the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty is re-opened (it's been closed since shortly after 9/11) because it's safe now? Shocked

Don't pass anyone else that Kool-Aid you're swigging, boyz.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:54 am
And they wonder how we come to the conclusion that the threats are politically motivated....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:03 pm
Hmmm.

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/04/08/ana04014.html
0 Replies

Xena

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:57 pm
The threats are real. It really is sad when certain people make fun of the threat we are under. What we do overseas is directly related to our was on terror at home also. Pakistan has been instumental on fighting the war on terror. We are safer, not completly safe.

Welcome to the Terrorism Research Center, Inc.

Founded in 1996, the Terrorism Research Center, Inc. (TRC) is an independent institute dedicated to the research of terrorism, information warfare and security, critical infrastructure protection, homeland security, and other issues of low-intensity political violence and gray-area phenomena. The TRC represents a new generation of terrorism and security analysis, combining expertise with technology to maximize the scope, depth and impact of our research for practical implementation.

This site is the on-line portal to our terrorism knowledgebase (operating with the domains www.terrorism.com and www.homelandsecurity.com), a dynamic relational database of public domain and proprietary content. Navigate the site by either selecting the area of interest from the navigation bar or by searching for specific keywords.

Current Nationwide Threat Condition: ELEVAT
---------------------------------------------------------------
Article (Terrorism): Pakistan nets 18 suspects as Al-Qaeda hunt moves east to cities
An intensive swoop by Pakistan on Al-Qaeda cells in the country's east has netted at least 18 suspects including four African operatives and a computer mastermind, a senior security official told AFP. The latest crackdown has taken Pakistan's Al-Qaeda hunters far from the terror network's traditional sanctuaries in rugged northwest tribal lands bordering Afghanistan to the dense eastern cities and towns of Punjab, its most populous province. The captures have also netted "valuable information" from computer records, CDs, emails, detailed maps of Islamabad airport, documents and photos of key financial institutions in New York, Washington and Newark. The information included plans to attack tourist sites in the South African city of Johannesburg, according to the security official, who is closely involved in the crackdown and interrogation of detainees. Full Story

Posted by: kirkhope on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:56 PM EST

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. authorities have launched a broad search for terrorist operatives who might have helped conduct surveillance of the five financial institutions in New York City, Newark, N.J., and Washington, D.C., that were the focus of Sunday's terrorism alert, two federal law enforcement officials said Monday. The search reflects a sobering conclusion that U.S. investigators reached after reviewing detailed reconnaissance reports seized last month from an al-Qaeda operative in Pakistan: It's unclear whether the operatives who did the surveillance of the U.S. financial institutions are still in this country preparing for attacks. The officials, who are familiar with U.S. counterterrorism efforts, said the search will be a huge undertaking for investigators. It will include reviews of employee rosters of Citigroup, the New York Stock Exchange, Prudential, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. Full Story

Posted by: kirkhope on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:52 PM EST
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Security forces launched a huge crackdown in Pakistan yesterday after a group claiming links with al-Qa'ida said it had staged Friday's failed assassination attempt on the prime minister-designate, Shaukat Aziz. There are growing fears that the suicide bombing may be the start of a full-scale al-Qa'ida campaign against General Pervez Musharraf's regime. The information minister, Sheikh Rashid Ahmed, said several people had been arrested over the assassination attempt that left at least five people dead, including Mr Aziz's driver. But in a sign of how few clues the authorities have, there were reports that a tailor from the nearby town of Attock had been detained because the suicide bomber's remains included tattered strips of clothing with a label from his shop.Full Story

Posted by: ethrush on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:46 PM EST
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pakistani authorities have arrested several al-Qaida suspects in recent days, believed to be linked to others in custody who provided intelligence leading to the arrest of a key fugitive and Washington's issuing a terror attack warning, officials said Tuesday. Among those arrested was Raja Waqar, a policeman assigned to the office of Punjab province's top politician. Waqar is suspected of informing al-Qaida-linked groups about the whereabouts of top government officials, a high-ranking intelligence official in the eastern city of Lahore told The Associated Press. Another detainee identified himself as Juma Ibrahim, a Syrian. He was arrested Sunday at a bus station in Hafizabad, a town near Lahore, and was turned over to Pakistan's spy agency, said district police chief Aslam Ghauri.Full Story

Posted by: ethrush on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:41 PM EST
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:04 pm
My man Fitz

http://www.azstarnet.com/ss/2004/08/04/32678.gif
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:45 pm
Xena - I don't believe we are beliitleing or making fun of the terrorist threats themselves. We know they are real. Otherwise, 75% of us at this point wouldn't be saying that we do not feel any safer than we did following 9/11.

The problem is with the timing, the info from pakistan that they were being pressured to deliver during the Democratic convention, that the info was had for a couple of weeks prior to the release to the public and that Laura was sent to one of the targets the day after the threat alert was issued... Just to mention a few of the things that has to make one wonder why such important information regarding our very lives would be deemed appropriate for political manipulation.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:57 pm
A Clockwork Orange Alert?
The timing of the arrests in Pakistan and the alerts in the United States continue to raise questions about the politics of terror

Quote:

full report Newsweek
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:36 am
The U.S. and Pakistan are certainly strange bedfellows. We do need them despite the fact that it's obvious what games they are playing. But we need many other countries to stand with us. It's not happening with the Bush Administration who has successfully alienated many more friends while flirting with alleged enemies. The agreement with North Korea being negotiated re atomic weaponry, for instance, is suspiciously similar to the agreement the Clinton Administration had with that troublesome country.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:58 am
A little piece I saw today via Metafilter:

http://juliusblog.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_juliusblog_archive.html#109156476570482138

Quote:

It certainly seems to follow a pattern to me....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 12:02 pm
Geez! When you look at like that it almost makes it appear as though stuff happens every day of the year!

The dots appear to form the shape of a functioning government. What do they make for you?
0 Replies