Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:32 pm
Like tacos
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:33 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Ever see "Lamb to the Slaughter"?

rack of lamb or leg of lamb, yum yum

too bad you can't get those here, except for a kiwi store that has frozen meat products. costs an arm and a leg to buy those.

if you want prime rib, be prepared to second mortgage your home.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:42 pm
UNC Study Confirms That Food Portion Sizes Increased In U.S. Over Two Decadesclick here for article
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:29 am
Of course food portions have increased. Candy bars: either normal or king size. Single portion bags of chips are double the size they used to be. Sodas, most are 16 or 21oz, instead of the usual 12. Fast food, with the super size. Restaurants, some use portions as their main selling point. I went to Vinny Testa's a couple weeks ago..not impressed with the food too much, but they give you a ton.

Another reason why there are so many fat-asses here.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:30 am
Of course food portions have increased. Candy bars: either normal or king size. Single portion bags of chips are double the size they used to be. Sodas, most are 16 or 21oz, instead of the usual 12. Fast food, with the super size. Restaurants, some use portions as their main selling point. I went to Vinny Testa's a couple weeks ago..not impressed with the food too much, but they give you a ton.

Another reason why there are so many fat-asses here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:35 am
We got a double portion of Doo Hoo.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:46 am
That sounds fattening!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:52 am
Just in case you whipper snappers didn't hear me the first time.

NOW LISTEN UP, YOU LIL' BASTARDS!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:55 am
Would you please repeat that, on second thought --------
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:33 am
Well to get back to the original question, I'll vote for Bickford's and I think it might be a only a northeast, U.S. chain.

But for the Boston folks -- My real local place of choice was Pewter Pot. Coffee and muffins at all hours of the night. The muffins were pretty good actually, but they had muffin sundaes, kind of scary. And you always ran into someone you ran there, no matter what time of night -- Bizarre.

Re: Australian meat pies, had one during my trip from a take away shop in a small town on the way back to Melbourne and in a bakery in another shop near Cairns. Sort of reminds me of those "hot pocket" meals they sell in grocery stores now that you heat up, etc. There was a whole selection, both times; all kinds of fillings, meat, vegtables, curried, etc.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:19 pm
Never heard of Pewter Pot. However, for those in the Boston area...if you want some damn genius muffins, get them from a place called "Gail and Ann's" in Arlington. I'm telling you, and I usually hate muffins...they're insane.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 05:11 pm
Well, as long as it's an evil muffin shop....
0 Replies

stike

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:12 am
best food places (breakfast joints, clam shacks, barbecue) are small, local, divey.

No?

When we went out as highschool kids, we always stopped in for breakfast at bickford's around 1 or 2 a.m.

Bickford's sucks.

Anyone bostonarea-wise remember Alice's Kitchen? Huge purple A-frame roof? It was decked out in Alice-in-Wonderland style.

Breakfast Joint.

As for Denny's... I Once took their frikkin "One-dollar Lumber-jack-Breakfast special" coupon in and before I got out of there it was really 6 bucks for bad eggs, bad hashbrowns, and weak OJ.

URF....

Gimme the 'Trackside' in anytown USA. Any Mom and Pop where their daughter is the waitress.

Best breakfast in town....
0 Replies

stike

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:19 am
...I weigh usually 165-170. end of winter, 175, but I'll be back to fighting weight in a week.

For some reason, though, I can eat.

On sundays, when we go out for beakfast, Stike always orders 2 eggs sunny, toast (white or dark rye if they gots the BIG rye), side of bacon, side of homefries, side (shortstack=2) buttermilk pancakes, large OJ and three mugs of coffee.

mmm mmmmm mmmmm

re: my eating... went out for dinner saturday and ordered the 24 oz prime rib, rare, with a couple sides. wise-ass server said, when bringing it to the table, "Prime rib?" "right here", I said . whereupon he scoped ol stike and said "Are you sure?".

I had him pull up a chair and take notes. Basically ate the thing in fifteen minutes (because I was being social with the wife. otherwise woulda had it gone in ten).

mmmmmmwhen my metabolism changes at 40 i'ma be SCREWED.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:32 am
Speaking of local divy places.... in N.H. (Oh I wish I could remember where) there was a Christmas Land. A small farm with llamas and ostriches. They had an igloo or two for living quarters (I swear I wasn't tripping) and served breakfast on the weekends. Inside the igloo was freakier than the fact that it was actually an igloo. There was like 3 levels to it, the kitchen on one, the eating area on another and the living room and bedroom on a third. All but the kitchen had shag carpets of different colors. They served pancakes and maple syrup.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:04 am
You were tripping.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:07 am
And if you need ice for your water, you just chipped it off the walls?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:13 am
the igloo was spray-foam - I swear.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:17 pm
Littlek,..been there,..it does exist, even if you were tripping! Laughing

As for breakfast,.of the two Slappy,..I vote Bickford's,...nothing quite like that chocolate milk, in a plastic cup, for a hangover.

But, if you want great breakfast there 's 2 Newcomb Farm's Restaurants near me,..one in Quincy(Wollaston), one in Milton,..they're great. There used to be a joint called the "Egg and I" in Quincy too, was really good!
0 Replies