BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:03 pm
ehBeth
Beth, you are right. Diane is one of my favorite A2K people, even more so since I met her. She is a peach!

And you are no slouch yourself, Beth.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:44 pm
Checking in- this is a terrific thread! I really laughed today, and heck, needed it!

George - Haven't met you and enjoy your posts. What a wit! Anyone that can keep up with the likes of these posters has got to have sumthin to 'em!

Dys, can we make some sorta deal? I need the $$$ too! Thinking about the nekkid pix of have of Diane from the first Crone get-together in Maine in 2001.....hmmmmmmm.........
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:19 pm
Hey, Diane. Relieved to know that you are back. Of course, as ehBeth, has said. YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED! Cool
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 07:21 pm
Coalt,

Thanks. You are being kind. "Keeping up", perhaps. Hanging on is more like it.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 07:29 pm
Hmm, my memories are already becoming a little vague after spending almost two weeks with family in Colorado, plus all the others have done a fine job of reporting, but I'll try to fill in a few details.

Bethie, you are the sweetiest woman and very good for my ego!! Letty, you should be the poster girl for a2k--what a doll.

For me, BumbleBeeBoogie was the most pleasant surprise. She is not only a wonderful writer, but a solid, down to earth lady in the best sense of the word. She is very ladylike, but she can be candid about her opinion of what constitutes bullsh*t when she disagrees with a statement or opinion. She was a fabulous breath of fresh air!

Fbaezer was another surprise. He is quite serious on a2k, but he is a total hottie with a wild sense of humor. Ah, if I were only 12 years younger.....

Bernie is much the same in person as he is on a2k, but moreso, if that is possible. I want to thank him for describing me as a nun gone bad---I get so damn tired of being called the 'nice' one. I can be very nasty....really.

Lola--well, you've all seen her picture, but if you haven't met her in person, you haven't any idea of the vitality and personality bubbling just under the surface. She was a treat and I hope to spend more time with her when she has moved permanently to the east coast.

Roger is a dear, whom I met in Florida. To give you an idea of how well he is liked, when he was late showing up at Rae's condo in Florida, she was going around saying, "I want my Roger!" He is a sweetie with blue eyes and long eyelashes and a quiet, sardonic sense of humor.

As we all found out, Dys doesn't mince words, he bases his statements on personal experience or on his wide ranging breadth of knowledge. His ego doesn't dilute or inflate his statements, he just uses logic, intelligence, knowledge and experience when expressing himself. Don't let the scruffy cowboy image fool you; there is a steel trap mind underneath that cowboy hat (and a very cute smile)!

As for rumors of a bubblebath, I was the one who indulged. It took a vacation to give me the idea and it was well worth it. I had forgotten how luxurious it can be to simply relax and enjoy. I even picked up a little Chambord for dessert. Hah! Hedonism is good for the soul! Of course, I am now back in New England where hedonism is looked on askance. I will take secret bubblebaths while here just to make sure I'm not burned at the stake by some Puritan preacher.

Asherman and Natalie were just lovely as they tried their best to arrange everything and to see to it that we all were well fed and sent to the nicest places to eat and sight see. Asherman gave us an impressive tour of his house ending with his library. They are obviously enjoying life to the fullest and love to share their home with friends. Their hospitality was generous and sincere. Of course, with Asherman gone to seed as reported by BBB, the place might have gone downhill, but leave it to Natalie to give directions on getting it back on track!!

Each time I visit the southwest, I want to move back. Having grown up in Tucson, I miss the big sky and rugged mountains with towering clouds building up beyond the crests. It is the one place where my soul can fly. Someday, I hope to return permanently.

Finally, I encourage all of you to try to attend any a2k gathering. The people are remarkable, with the ability to put differences aside and simply enjoy each other's company. Each gathering is an opportunity to make friendships that will last a lifetime. I look forward to many more. Cheers!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:15 pm
Lovely post, Diane, and I'm delighted you found the southwest home again.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:23 pm
kinda repeating what Diane said MR and MRS Asherman were amazing hosts along with BumbleBee. Everyone was made immediately comfortable and overfed.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:50 pm
Diane ~ if I haven't told you lately.....

I MISS YOU TERRIBLY!!!!!

Yeah, you are nice, but.....the twinkle in those gorgeous eyes gives you away..... :wink:
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 10:21 pm
Diane, I think it's quite intriguing that the membership of A2K have such camaraderie and esprit de corps, on and off A2K, it's no wonder we all love these get-togethers and reunions!

We are a brand set apart by just miles!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 10:47 pm
dyslexia and I refuse utterly to join any club which would have dyslexia for a member.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:16 pm
Diane, welcome back!
Diane, so glad you are back. We missed the nun gone bad.

Your perceptions of the Gathering folks are very similar to my own---except for BBB being very ladylike. My friends of over 50 years would laugh their heads off at that description of me. I'm afraid I've got you bamboozled.

While I can put on the mask of lady-like gentility when dealing with authority figures, I can be very tough, but nice about it. For example, when battling California's Governor (Reagan) and the legislature to represent consumers via the Cooperative Movement; local and national leadership in the Civil Rights and Women's Movements, dealing with unfair employers while negotiating labor contracts and always without having to strike; and finally, developing and setting high standards for Homeowner Association management. The people I dealt with all learned that being-lady-like doesn't mean you can't be tough when it counts.

Bless his heart, Asherman has probably got me figured out the best. He swears I'm a gutsy broad. But, then, what does he know. I've probably got him bamboozled, too.

Following is the piece I promised everyone at the Gathering and how a lady puts a powerful bully in his place. This piece is based upon a true event and how I handled it.

-----BumbleBeeBoogie

The Best Defense Is
By BumbleBeeBoogie

When, as a civilized woman, I'm confronted by a man in a power position over me, and he is behaving like an overbearing, rude, condescending, patronizing bore, I've found the best defense is:

To be shielded by the grin on my face as I contemplate how he must look each morning as he sits on the pot, naked as a slug, wiping his puffy ass with purple potty paper; aah!

Instantly, his assumed power disappears into the ether---and he has no idea what has happened to change our status.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:51 am
With every post, BBB reminds me more and more of my own dear Wayfarer.

Hugs, BBB. I'm going to carry that vision you offered with me <snort> <giggle> <honk> <snort>.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:47 am
Beth
Beth, you will have to ask Diane about her reaction when I told that true story and the reaction of my target and others in the room when I said it to him. I thought Diane was going to roll on the floor.

But don't get me started because I have a ton of similar stories. For instance, in contract negotions with just me and 14 men on the other side who were trying to intimidate me. You would laugh at how I equalized the sides and maintained the power position.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:05 am
Someone else has purple toilet paper?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:09 am
Blatham
Blatham, I won't tell if you don't tell. Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:25 am
Mine has lacy edges too. When times are tough, it serves for square doilies.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:12 am
Blatham
Oh, Blatham, you've been watching and reading too much Martha Stewart matchy-matchy foo-foo.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:10 pm
What all toliet paper isn't purple? Gee whiz, do you suppose it's an epidemic?

Diane, It is good to have your impressions of the week end. I think we all had such a good time, it was unpleasant to stop. We missed you while you were away.........I'm glad to see you again.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
BBB, I think ladies are often mistaken for wimps. I've found most to be tough, gutsy broads of the highest order. You, I would put at the top of my list. I think you would enjoy comparing war stories with ehBeth. She is one gutsy little broad of the Canajun sort.

Lola, it is good to be back although I would return to Colorado at the drop of a hat--it is one of my favorite places along with New Mexico and Arizona--in fact, all of the southwest is magical, as far as I'm concerned. So are the people.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:25 pm
ehBeth
Beth, Diane said, "I think you (BBB) would enjoy comparing war stories with ehBeth. She is one gutsy little broad of the Canajun sort."

Well, another gutsy broad. What war stories? I'll show you mine if you will show me yours :wink:

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies