Human DNA Found In 66% Of Vegetarian Hot Dogs

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 03:12 pm
Human DNA Found In 66% Of Vegetarian Hot Dogs
Source: USA Today, via Joe.My.God

October 26, 2015 Uncategorized

News sites are blowing up today with the latest linking of processed meat consumption and cancer rates, but THIS story is far more intriguing. Via USA Today:

Hot dogs are considered one of the most American foods. However, a report uncovers some startling findings on what people are really eating when they bite into a frankfurter. Clear Food analyzed 345 hot dogs and sausages from 75 different brands sold at 10 retailers and found that 14% had hygienic or substitution issues, according to the report. (Substitution means when ingredients are added to the product that are not displayed on the label and hygienic issues happen when a “non-harmful contaminant is introduced to the hot dog.”) The online food guide, which uses “genomic technology” to examine foods by ingredients, found human DNA in 2% of the samples, and in two-thirds of the vegetarian samples.”

It’s not clear what the source of the human DNA might be. More from CNN:

Clear Foods is a company that “translates quantifiable molecular tests into actionable food data insights,” according to its website. In English, that means it uses genetic sequencing to figure out just what’s in your lunch. Its results on hot dogs aren’t always comforting. Overall, the company found nutritional label inaccuracies, pork substitution and some unexpected ingredients, including chicken and lamb. On the other hand, Clear gave high marks to a variety of manufacturers, both national and regional. Butterball, McCormick, Eckrich and Hebrew National led among national brands, each with a score of 96 out of 100, based on Clear’s formula.

Read more: http://www.joemygod.com/2015/10/26/human-dna-found-in-66-of-vegetarian-hot-dogs/

It's probably just from handling them, don't you think? I mean, isn't it?

Report: Human DNA found in hot dogs

USA Today Network Jessica Durando, USA TODAY Network 10:43 a.m. EDT October 26, 2015

Hot dogs are considered one of the most American foods. ... However, a report uncovers some startling findings on what people are really eating when they bite into a frankfurter.

Clear Food analyzed 345 hot dogs and sausages from 75 different brands sold at 10 retailers and found that 14% had hygienic or substitution issues, according to the report.

(Substitution means when ingredients are added to the product that are not displayed on the label and hygienic issues happen when a "non-harmful contaminant is introduced to the hot dog.")

The online food guide, which uses "genomic technology" to examine foods by ingredients, found human DNA in 2% of the samples, and in two-thirds of the vegetarian samples."

Full disclosure: even I have put a pack of half-smokes back on the shelf after reading the list of ingredients. Fortunately, a higher-priced brand had a less-alarming group of ingredients.

And I just love scrapple, though I haven't had any in years. Every time I get the urge, I go over the list of ingredients, and I end up putting the package back on the shelf.

Ingredients

Pork Stock, Pork Livers, Pork Fat, Pork Snouts, Corn Meal, Pork Hearts, Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,169 • Replies: 42

View best answer, chosen by bobsal u1553115
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 03:44 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
have you been watching the new season of Fargo?? They already ground up Rye (the youngest brother of 3 yobbos) and added into a "burger" mix. Pwrhaps veggie dogs are made by the mob.

I dont have a foggiest of ideas about whats in a vegetarian dog but it takes a lot of spit and sweat to produce a 2% HUman DNA in the mix.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 03:51 pm
Quote:
Pork Stock, Pork Livers, Pork Fat, Pork Snouts, Corn Meal, Pork Hearts, Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices.

Mmm, pork offal...
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 03:56 pm
@farmerman,
Just saying. Have YOU heard of any unusual numbers of vegetable hot dog food technicians being short a limb or two?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 04:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
Prepared right some offal is darn delicious. My dads parents raised hogs and sold the best and ate the rest. I am telling you blood sausage, hearts, livers, brain, sausage in natural casings ..... even hogs ears can be coaxed into something really delicious. Don't knock all offal. Ox tails, testicles, trotters, the head were actually made into good eating by my Czech grandmother.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 09:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,
....but recent studies show animal hot dogs cancerous

...so need new study
Glennn

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:16 am
Is this really surprising? Why do you think they're called frankfurters? Because of the direct forthrightness of the furters? Come on man!
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:27 am
@Glennn,
Glenn you've again made my day
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:56 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I dont have a foggiest of ideas about whats in a vegetarian dog but it takes a lot of spit and sweat to produce a 2% HUman DNA in the mix.

The statement, I think, is that 2% of the samples contained (at least a trace) of human DNA.

That is a lot different than saying any sample consisting of 2% human DNA (uckk).
maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:59 am
This whole study seems very unscientific. I don't see any links to testing methodology or even what level they are considering "contamination".

I wonder if hot dogs are any worse than carrots. I strongly suspect that this story is bogus.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:33 am
@maxdancona,
actually it said that 66% of the veggieburgers sampled contained human DNA
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:36 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

That is a lot different than saying any sample consisting of 2% human DNA (uckk).

I dont believe I or anyone else said that. Anyway its a stoichiometric impossibility.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:08 pm
@dalehileman,
Nah, dale, its time to cut down on smoke or cured meats. I've cut way back on the beef and I don't anything white or beige unless it can be prepared by steaming. I do use some whole white wheat flour and unbleached white flour from King Arther Mills.

I use coconut, lard, olive oil, butter for cooking.

Nothing but tomato products in cans and in cardboard if possible, and very little frozen. I try to buy in season but local grown is tough in Texas.

I'm getting older but eating wiser.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I guess that means they are not truely vegetarian hot dogs....or else us humans are very closely related to brocolli.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:12 pm
@Glennn,
Ya know ..... when was the last time you've even seen someone name Frank? With all the people running for President in both parties - not even one Frank, not even between the two women candidates!

And Pete Moss. Do you know any Petes. I don't. And I know scads of people. I think you're onto something. As for me, I'm on something.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:14 pm
@farmerman,
I am not quite sure what you meant when you said "it takes a lot of spit and sweat to produce a 2% HUman DNA in the mix."

If the 2% of samples that tested positive all came from a single factory, then it would only take a small amount of human dna (depending on how sensitive the tests are) to ensure there is a trace amount in each hot dog.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:17 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
or else us humans are very closely related to brocolli.

That would certainly explain a bunch of Texas Congressmen.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 01:29 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Prepared right some offal is darn delicious. My dads parents raised hogs and sold the best and ate the rest. I am telling you blood sausage, hearts, livers, brain, sausage in natural casings ..... even hogs ears can be coaxed into something really delicious. Don't knock all offal. Ox tails, testicles, trotters, the head were actually made into good eating by my Czech grandmother.

Heh, I was being sincere.

Around here, trotters are fried in an egg batter and covered in a light tomato sauce, patas de puerco lampreadas. I love 'em. Then there's a beef tripe soup, menudo, that's traditionally eaten for breakfast.

There's also tripas, or small intestine, and buche, the esophagus, either beef or pork, that's boiled down and then fried and eaten in tacos. I'm not much into that, though. My wife loves it.

It used to be that butchers couldn't give away the offal, but nowadays it's as pricey as the cuts of meat.

American braunschweiger is great too.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 04:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
I love braunswieger, A slice of onion, a pickle a little mustard, dark bread - uuummm.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 04:57 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Ah, Braunsweiger, long time no see, at least at my market. Now I'm going to have to hunt around some.
0 Replies