Turn on the Republican convention right now! Bush Sr.'s on!

blatham

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 10:22 pm
Cheering. Flags waving.

President Bush: And now, I'd like my beautiful wife Laura to come up here and join me.

Cheering. Flags waving. Camera follows Laura as she weaves through blonde haired children, firefighters, straw hats, and a black man, an hispanic woman, and an Asian lady in a ten gallon hat. Laura ascends and stands beside the President at the podium. Cheering. Flags waving.

President Bush: Laura, that's a lovely handbag. Can I see that for a minute please.

Laura Bush: (surprised) But...but George, what do you want my handbag?

Camera pans across happy, trusting, quizical faces. Asian man, eyes wide, smiling, shares evident puzzlement with the Muslim woman beside him.

President Bush: Now Laura (smiles to crowd), you have to TRUST me.

Laura Bush: I don't know George, that's my favorite handbag. (she looks to crowd) Should I trust him?

Huge cheers of YES YES. Flags waving.

Laura Bush: If THEY trust you, then I will too.

President Bush reaches down and pulls a large bucket out from behind the podium, then a small bottle. Camera picks up Laura's puzzled smile, and the puzzled smiles and wide eyes of a uniformed soldier and an orthodox Jew. They look at each other, clearly sharing the thought "what's he up to?"

President Bush: OK Laura, you said you trust me. I'm going to put your very favorite handbag down into this bucket. (Laura looks in, and GASPS)

Laura Bush: Oh my god, what's in there? No, no don't put my purse in there! What is that?

President Bush: (sly smile to crowd) In this bucket are...ashes and mud from the World Trade towers...(huge gasp from crowd)...MIXED WITH...you ready for this folks? (faces panned indicate they are ready)...the contents of the MOP-PAILS FROM ABU GERHRAIBBB!

Pandemonium...Laura trying to grab purse but too late, it's in. Audience on feet yelling "No, you'll NEVER get it clean!"

President Bush: (cocky smile) Oh, won't I. (he holds up the little bottle previously pulled from behind podium). But I've got this! (curious faces everywhere, excited, particularly the Mexican man in the sombrero and the lady in the wheelchair beside him). I've got DE CEETRUS. Entirely natural, recycled from the rinds of oranges thrown away by schoolchildren, and collected by Republican janitors across the nation! (Cheers, flags waving). Now just watch this! (crowd presses forward as the President pours some DE CEETRUS onto a flag and wipes it across the goop-covered purse. Close up shows the goop totally gone where wiped, and the pink plastic of the handbag cleanly exposed).

Huge huge cheering. Flags waving. Balloons pour from ceiling.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 10:30 pm
What hooey, blatham.

Dubya would never say anything so Yankee-fied as "Oh, won't I".
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 10:33 pm
Our fawning, drooling, starboard-listing forum participants are strangely quiet on this night of King George the Lesser's coronation.

What gives, GoOPers?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 10:41 pm
Jesus, P...I could not believe it. Every camera angle pre-planned with the correct ethnicity and emotional response on view. It was an infomercial and it was designed for precisely the same level of intellect. Amazing.
0 Replies

1q2w3e

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 10:51 pm
I see the Dems are jealous of their lackluster convention, How sad :boo hoo:
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 11:06 pm
"I see the Dems are jealous of their lackluster convention,"

You obviously didn't watch it. It was inspiring, uplifting, and very very Americam.

Can't comment on Bush's coronation..... haven't watched one second of it.

There is not one single thing he could say or do to get me to vote for him again.. He's had three plus years and failed miserably on every count. He will be leaving this country and the world less safe from terrorism and sorely divided, but at least he will be LEAVING, can't happen soon enough.
0 Replies

1q2w3e

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 11:14 pm
angie wrote:

You obviously didn't watch it. It was inspiring, uplifting, and very very Americam.

But it sure wasn't american.

I got it on tape for when I have trouble sleeping. I count the sheeps in the Dems audience.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:27 am
Quote:
But it sure wasn't american.

What else could it possibly have been?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:15 am
sozobe wrote:
Won't be able to watch it. Tell me all about it.
I was gonna, darlin, but I fell asleep. I'm sure it had more to do with the getting up early for the manual labor of shutter duty than the content... well, not sure... but I strongly suspect! :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:36 am
Text of the President's address:

Quote:
I'm George Bush, and I'm reporting for -- I'm making a report. When you make a report it is a reported entity. I ascended this country as a young man, and I will suspend it as president. (Applause.)

I want to thank everybody who's here. And I want to thank 'em right quick for everybody who's not here. Some people don't think like us. They wear T-shirts with bad words on them. That is my name on those T-shirts. I just want to reach out to those people and say, You know, we all have a obligation to vote. But that doesn't mean you have to.

People got lives, people got families. There's schools out there with tests to take, folks with meals to eat of some sort or other. People busy doing decent things with their neighbors as they would like to be done decent to themselves. People who don't want to waste their God-fearing time explaining to an FBI agent who enters their home late at night whether they accidentally committed voter fraud. Which a lot of people probably commit and do not know it until they are in jail. And when that happens to your elderly grandmother it is sad. It threatens the security of this country.

Let me get on with the thanking. We ought to do more thanking, less thinking. No one ever says "think you." That's got to tell you something. I want to thank veterans for setting such a good example for the folks who wear the uniform today. I would not have known what to wear on that aircraft carrier if it hadn't a been for you.

I also want to thank a boatload of veterans with whom I have no association. Bible says the race is not always to the swift. We'll see about that. (Laughter.) Bunch of you pointed out that if John Kerry doesn't want his record of admirable service in Vietnam to be attacked, he shouldn't have a record in the first place. He kind of set himself up for that one by serving admirably and then testifying to the Senate about the lessons of Vietnam. You didn't see me doing that.

Then John Kerry gets himself another record by serving admirably in the Senate and there you go again. If you got a record of admirable service, folks is naturally going to attack it. Look what happened to John McCain, and he's a friend of mine. And Max Cleland, and he is not. But they had a record. So you shouldn't have any. I sure don't. Or maybe you had records, but someone kept inadvertently expunging them, so what is the point? Records threaten the security of this country.

I'm not even running on the record of my first term as president. Why should I? Would you? We should just keep it positive. So let's turn a corner, any corner, and spread the good word that America is now so much safer that terrorists could attack us at any minute, and you might be one of them.

I also remind you that just like the wars of the past, we have got to keep fighting wars of the present and the future. Then go back to the past and start again. We're fighting deadly enemies. Not all of them will fall for the Applebee's coupons or want to see a show on Broadway. Which is what protesters do. They enjoy the arts. They cause terrible harm to lawns. But we will protect and defend that piece of environment.

That's why we're depending on your support. I just came out of a fancy chopper that some brave soldier is going to be flying soon in Iraq. And I told him, and I can tell his loved ones, he'll be missed, but his sacrifice will be worth it to me. And that's all any sacrificer can hope for. (Applause.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:03 am
Wow! This wasn't what I expected.

O'Bill fell asleep?? Hmmmmmm...

(Frances still headed straight for you?)

Blatham, perfect!!! The ethnicity thing is unnerving, isn't it. (See, there are actual black republicans! Really! Here's one!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:05 am
Oh but adding to pdiddie's "oh won't I" critique, DE CEETRUS is like, WAY too French.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:06 am
What? No "Mission Accomplished!" ?

Didn't watch. Nothing he said would have mattered. He's had four years, that says it all.

(Watched the Sox who BTW are on fire !!!!)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:13 am
Francis is weakening a bit Soz... and ground zero appears to be a little north of here. It's going to get pretty soggy.

From what I caught, it was just anti-climactic... not unlike watching Kerry after Clinton. I'll have to read it when I'm not so sleepy :wink:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:22 am
I am wondering if these excerpts are real or satire? Surely they ain't real?

Anyway, I read from the washington post this morning about his speech.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57590-2004Sep2.html

I think John Kerry is going to win after all. Gosh I will be glad when this all over.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
It's a shame that you guys didn't watch. How can you claim to be open minded while completely ignoring such historical times as these? These conventions are the life blood of politics. This is the platform that bush will be standing on for the next four years. He stood on the last platform pretty well, only deviating when he needed to.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:55 am
McGentrix wrote:
He stood on the last platform pretty well, only deviating when he needed to.

Isn't that called flip-flopping? :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:57 am
PDiddie wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
He stood on the last platform pretty well, only deviating when he needed to.

Isn't that called flip-flopping? :wink:

Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:58 am
You watched the whole Dem convention, right McG?

Meanwhile, I watched as much as I could, and will be reading transcripts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:18 am
sozobe wrote:
You watched the whole Dem convention, right McG?

Meanwhile, I watched as much as I could, and will be reading transcripts.

As much as I could. I would say I saw the same amount of both, which means I saw the two big speeches each night.

Of all of the speech's, I like arnold's the best. His speaking ability and charisma are very striking.
0 Replies