Who Wins Todays Canadian Election?

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 03:59 am
Quote:
In the federal contest, he's going with the Liberals.

"I would predict the Liberals are going to have a minority government, and it could be a very strong minority government — as in 145 to 150 in terms of seats. Maybe even a little higher than 150," he said.

Cameron first noticed the Liberals had a chance in September, thanks to wide reach and positive reaction on social media, well ahead of the NDP.

He also says the Liberals have capitalized on a shift toward more positivity in the campaign, while the Conservatives have remained mired in negativity.

"There's a negativity to their ads, there's a negativity to the reaction, there's a lot of negativity and that comes out in the social media, we can measure that," he said.

Cameron doesn't think the Liberals will achieve a majority, based mostly on the fact that both the NDP and Conservatives are better at converting votes into seats.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canadian-election-social-media-prediction-1.3276089

If the Liberals win well (can form a stable government) I predict Hillary is going to decide to be Mary ******* Sunshine for the next year.

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 06:57 am
It is highly doubtful that the Liberals can form a majority government, which means that they will have to rely on a New Democrat coalition. But you never let mere ignorance stop you, do you Whackeye.-?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 07:03 am
@Setanta,
the projections are here
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/poll-tracker/2015/index.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 07:08 am
Showing that it is unlikely that the Liberals can win a true majority and form a government. They'll need to form a coalition. You don't know how Westminster-style governments work, do you Whackeye? You don't know how governments work when there are more than two parties, do you Whackeye?

The longest election campaign in Canadian history and Whackeye just noticed it, and wants to play expert.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 07:15 am
@Setanta,
Please, the Hawkeye is stupid hyperbole burned out a long time ago.

If the liberals can do very well in getting seats and can form a government that will not roll into nearly immediate new elections then Clinton will be watching. It is oft noted the Trump is all "everything sucks", so going to positivity makes a lot of sense for clinton. If the Liberals can pick up a come from behind big win using it then Clinton will surely follow.

Did you watch the debate? she wants to go there anyways.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 07:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Atlantic is in...the liberals were expected to get 26 of 32 but they got them all according to CBC projections.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 10:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Mary ******* Sunshine it is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 01:11 am
Whackeye is stupid is not hyperbole, it's just a statement of fact.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 01:53 am
It is alarming how off the pollsters were yet again, though this time it looks like public opinion was moving too fast and was too unsettled for them to track. The Canadian elections are yet another warning on how unstable the world order is. Hopefully in the coming days we hear some astute insights into what this extraordinary election tells us beyond that we are unstable. I am not seeing that they were campaigning on any big new ideas. Doing more infrastructure spending on debt is a very old idea. Opening our arms to global hard luck cases is a very old idea. "we can do it!" Is a very old idea. It really seems like more of the same menu of choices that we have been using for awhile that is not working, that today the Canadians elected to change the flavor again but there is little hope that the substance will change.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 04:58 am
@hawkeye10,
wow, I recall when Justin Trudeau gave the eulogy for his dad(was that in 2001?). That sorta answers the question about his future in politics.
Hope he works out . His old man governed in some "interesting times"
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 05:06 am
@farmerman,
A total crap shoot, such a young guy with almost no experience. Set and I are arguing in another thread how this happened. My current best answer is an explosive growth in the youth vote.

This is all good news for Hillary and Biden if he runs. I have been expecting the youth to stay away this time but maybe not. These results are a very bad sign for Trump.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 05:26 am
@hawkeye10,
I think Canada really worries about its own neighborhood first. As far as "Little" experience, hes been in National office since at least 2007 as an MP.
His works during his early years are fairly well known since hed been active in many environmental causes, including mine waste pollution and safety .

I think hes every bit as ready as anyone and new issues keep arising that test the boundaries of whatever "old boy" experience provides . I think Canada will have some interesting territorial claims agint Russia, US, an Denmark when it comes to exploiting the ARctic's (possible) caches of resources.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 05:45 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

A total crap shoot, such a young guy with almost no experience. Set and I are arguing in another thread how this happened. My current best answer is an explosive growth in the youth vote.

This is all good news for Hillary and Biden if he runs. I have been expecting the youth to stay away this time but maybe not. These results are a very bad sign for Trump.

You do realize (and I'm pretty sure you don't) that the United States is an utterly completely separate country than Canada right? Rolling Eyes You can't correlate any future US election from the Canadian elections. Though you apparently are trying your damndest do marry the two together.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 06:41 am
it's great to have another Trudeau in power

i fear his wife will be less than pleased to have to sleep with the Rolling Stones of today
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 08:46 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Please, the Hawkeye is stupid hyperbole burned out a long time ago.

It would have done had you not kept feeding the embers with more and more moronic outbursts, each stupider than the last.

If you want it to burn out, stop claiming to be a genius, and research stuff thoroughly.

Or you could be honest and ask people to stop pointing out your stupidity because it makes you cry.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:10 pm
Best analysis I have seen:
Quote:
Politics is theatre on a grand scale. People go to the theatre neither to watch the actors nor to listen to them. They want to be transported into the world of the play: to suspend disbelief. Just as we are aware that the events on the stage have been rehearsed, that the lights, sound cues and blocking (movement) are all preset, and that the lines have been memorized, we must put aside that knowing in order to become involved about the outcome of the drama.

So must we put aside our knowledge that the politicians have speechwriters and have been coached and rehearsed. The politician who can evoke an emotional response is the politician we will inevitably favour. We want vigour, we want a perception of honesty. We want to believe in their truths.

Mulcair without the passion was so restrained that we found it difficult to believe in his platform. The simpering smile belied his true nature. Tom Mulcair had many positive attributes at his disposal. He has an aura of gravitas and a very mellifluous voice. He should have used those qualities to much greater effect. Conviction was lacking.

Harper, this time around, had competition. Justin Trudeau was neither a soft-spoken Stéphane Dion, nor a grandiose, verbose Michael Ignatieff. Witness what Jack Layton was able to achieve as he moved his party from a perennial third place to the opposition benches.

As did Layton, Trudeau spoke to us, directly to us. He was inclusive and inspirational. He used his drama skills to colour his speeches with feeling and that more than anything prompted us to give him our trust and our votes.

It was clear that there was an "anyone but Harper" movement afoot and probably more strategic voting than ever before seen. It became obvious from the moment that M. Trudeau turned around the "just not ready" attack ad during the first debate with a smile and a shrug that he was, in fact, more than ready to win the hearts and minds of the Canadian people and thus he became our 23rd Prime Minister.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/harvey-ostroff/trudeau-drama_b_8338694.html

Unfortunately this seems to have all the froth of yet another Greek election, the people are motivated to vote and get a rush of warm fuzzies, but not much changes. This is more about the drama than reality, this is all about changing the tone but the substance will not much be altered.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 03:25 pm
The Canuk Obama.

And here I thought Canadians were loathe to imitate the US.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 03:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The Canuk Obama.

And here I thought Canadians were loathe to imitate the US.

Lots of talk in the Canadian press comparing the two. As well as fears that Trudeau will be equally ineffectual because putting on a good stage show is not the same as having the ability to move the levers of power.
djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 03:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
except he has the power, he holds the majority in the house of commons, the other parties can't over rule him and he's the leader for around the next 5 years

so, not like obama at all really
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 03:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
our former leader was an american style conservative, he ran a campaign of fear, xenophobia and division

we were loathe to follow you, we got rid of him