Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 12:28 am
@glitterbag,
But he's just had a brand new lobotomy and wants everyone to see.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 02:59 am
Posted elsewhere:

http://i58.tinypic.com/15qaq7m.jpg
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 03:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hear hear.

Makes so much sense.
But unfortunately these gun lovers can't see past their own obsession and so nothing will ever change.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 07:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That was the best and funniest response to conservative contradictions I've seen in awhile. It's like the the liberal contradiction on 'choice'. Yes on a woman's choice but no on school choice.

But you don't fix things by making everything equally screwed up. That's what in part drives people crazy...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 08:03 am
Some things:

I bought my first pistol when I was in middle school. It was a Remington cap-and-ball kit, so I had to put it together myself. Couldn't believe it when the shop owner sold it to me, but maybe it was legal because it was a kit? Not sure.

I've spent more time hunting and target practicing than in probably any other single hobby I've had.

I've pulled a pistol in self defence - successfully, obviously - twice in my life.

The three long ones and the three short ones at the top were mine until several years ago, when I sold them. I gave one to my friend, who owns the others in the photo:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/MVC-013S-1.jpg

I got a concealed carry permit in TN. Went to a half-day "class," after which we had to take a test. The obnoxious, wanna-be hardass instructor walked around and told the dumbasses the correct answer when they couldn't remember. Then in the afternoon there was the firing range qualification, during which if you could hit paper a few times from not much more than a car's length away, you qualified. Paid about $100 and walked away with the permit.

On a trip to MS to visit above-mentioned friend, got pulled over by a cop, who said that there's not even a test in that state. Pay your money and get your permit. No questions asked.

But times change and I'm no longer the socially isolated country boy. What I think now? Guns are at least as potentially lethal as cars in the wrong hands. To own a gun, you should at least have as much training as it takes to get a driver's license, and actually much more, in my opinion. A psychological profile should be mandatory, in addition to the criminal records check.

Why not ban firearms altogether tomorrow, then? Well, this is just a political reality. The 2nd Amendment is there. Given the strength of the opposition, it would be political suicide to push for a nationwide ban. Politicians are not known for voluntarily falling on the sword in favor of what makes sense. And given the depth to which the gun culture is embedded in American traditions, and given the ready availability of metal working tools, people would just start manufacturing them in their basements. And I'm not just talking about backwoods yee-haws, either.

As far as I can tell, the best we can hope for is a gradual push towards more effective and stringent screening policies. We'll be lucky if we get that, to be honest. But we have to try. Ultra-conservatives aren't affected much by logic, after all. They have entrenched themselves in ideological rhetoric, and no number of mass killings will penetrate that shell. After all, they don't really give a **** about anybody but themselves and their traditions, do they?
parados

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 08:21 am
@BillRM,
All things that are almost impossible to find in Boston.

But we are getting away from your argument that knives are more dangerous than guns.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:05 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Why not ban firearms altogether tomorrow, then? Well, this is just a political reality. The 2nd Amendment is there. Given the strength of the opposition, it would be political suicide to push for a nationwide ban. Politicians are not known for voluntarily falling on the sword in favor of what makes sense. And given the depth to which the gun culture is embedded in American traditions, and given the ready availability of metal working tools, people would just start manufacturing them in their basements. And I'm not just talking about backwoods yee-haws, either.

Not to mention that there is no way you can made over 300 millions firearms in private hands disappear no matter what laws you might pass.

The results is that you might made the armed criminal class safer from needing to risk running into armed citizens and of course turn more citizens into criminals for not turning in their firearms.

parados

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:10 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
The results is that you might made the armed criminal class safer from needing to risk running into armed citizens and of course turn more citizens into criminals for not turning in their firearms.

How is that possible Bill since citizens would be armed with knives which according to you are far more dangerous than guns.
FBM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:25 am
@BillRM,
Helluva conundrum, innit? I don't have a good answer.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:42 am
@parados,
Quote:
How is that possible Bill since citizens would be armed with knives which according to you are far more dangerous than guns.

LOL Did you take an advance degree out of taking things out of content?

Knives at close range as in 15 to 20 feet or less can be as deadly as firearms that does not mean that they are equivalence.

Oh the above is not in question by any expert in weapons even it you think otherwise.

Love the knife gun combo.

parados

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 10:32 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Knives at close range as in 15 to 20 feet or less can be as deadly as firearms that does not mean that they are equivalence.

Sure, for all those people with 20 foot arms. Drunk

So let's recap your statements.
Guns don't matter when it comes to mass killing because according to you knives are just as deadly.
Guns do matter when it comes to self defense because then guns are more deadly than knives.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 10:59 am
Quote:

Evil, Scheming CNN Alters Photo of Umpqua Killer Chris Harper-Mercer to Make Him Look White
They took the guy's Facebook selfie and lightened the skin, thinned his lips and narrowed his nose to make him appear more caucausian...
see what we're up against in this country?

Who are the liars? Why ever listen to a progressive again? Of course, some of us never did.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FRU6Vui6otw/VhDsmU72-lI/AAAAAAAA2tg/bu83Y2I6l10/s400/mercer-cnn-575x339.jpg

http://reaganiterepublicanresistance.blogspot.com/2015/10/evil-scheming-cnn-alters-photo-of.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ReaganiteRepublicanResistance+%28Reaganite+Republican%29
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 11:30 am
@parados,
Quote:
Sure, for all those people with 20 foot arms

You are indeed stupid if you think it take more then a second to move within a distant of 20 feet. A time that does not allowed someone with a gun to reacted in most cases.

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh8qf9My2pg [ /youtube]
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 11:41 am
@parados,
Quote:
So let's recap your statements.
Guns don't matter when it comes to mass killing because according to you knives are just as deadly.
Guns do matter when it comes to self defense because then guns are more deadly than knives.

Bullshit.............
0 Replies

OregonFlyBy

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 12:13 pm
Well, he was a black person, so I suppose this was one of those racial wars again ... Rolling Eyes
BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 02:55 pm
@parados,

coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 06:18 pm
@OregonFlyBy,
Quote:
Well, he was a black person, so I suppose this was one of those racial wars again ... Rolling Eyes

I wonder how BLM feels about this? Here I thought is was about white people claiming to be black..
http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/1dunno1.gif
BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:41 pm
@BillRM,
I love people that votes down not opinions but facts as in the case of the distant a knife can be as deadly as a firearm.

One video backing up this deadliness at short range of a knife attack being a police training video and the other one part of a Mythbusters show.

Both postings that contain those videos have three or four votes downs.

It is amusing how some people can not handle facts if those facts dare to disagree with their worldview.

Of course then we have others that make up positions for others in order to attacked them.

Too bad they do not feel that they have the ability to attacked someone for their express opinions and do not feel the need to make up sheer nonsense to attack.
OregonFlyBy

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 12:00 am
@coldjoint,
I have to admit, that I´m not an expert with racial issues... but if that isn´t a black man, I don´t know what is !
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/q8ezXXZWTXw/maxresdefault.jpg
Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:31 am
@OregonFlyBy,
What is the difference if he is white, mixed race or black? He's dead and he was the perpetrator and a mass killer. The facts show that he was of mixed-race.l.and he had severe emotional issues, was very involved with anti-black and racial activities. that is not the issue.

The issue is the society in which he lived in didn't stop him from being armed dangerous and a killer. I've no idea how to make the change but other nations (like Australia) have lessened that serious problem.

All of the victims and he himself are dead and the nation is scarred again by the gun and violent insanity.