Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 11:25 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
From a buried Harvard study. I wonder why it was buried.
Quote:
Back in 2007, the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy released a study on gun control that received very little media attention – and there’s little wonder as to why. The study essentially obliterates the lie that gun control makes people safe.

Quote:
3. Gun control only helped crime grow in England
Before gun control in England was passed, the country had little in the way of violent crime. In fact, murder rates were at an all-time low. Control measures were introduced after WW1 but did nothing to stem the growing crime rate that occurred in England after WW2. In fact, they may have made it worse.

This caused Professor Joyce Lee Malcolm of the George Mason School of Law to conclude in her study of English gun law and violent crime: “The peacefulness England used to enjoy was not the result of strict gun laws. When it had no firearms restrictions [nineteenth and early twentieth century] England had little violent crime, while the present extraordinarily stringent gun controls have not stopped the increase in violence or even the increase in armed violence. Armed crime, never a problem in England, has now become one. Handguns are banned but the Kingdom has millions of illegal firearms. Criminals have no trouble finding them and exhibit a new willingness to use them. In the decade after 1957, the use of guns in serious crime increased a hundredfold.”

This trend lines up with an evaluation done by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, who compiled 253 articles, 99 books, 43 government publications and original research done by the organization, that concluded gun control did not reduce violent crime, suicide or accidents where it was implemented. This was later backed up in 2003 by a study done by the CDC.

Furthermore, the gun ban in England was so ineffectual in reducing violent crime that in 2000 England and Wales had Europe’s highest violent crime rate, even surpassing the United States.

Read more:
http://www.everyjoe.com/2015/10/15/politics/harvard-study-contradicts-gun-control-advocates-claims/#ixzz3oepWMORt

I compared UK and US crime rates a long time ago, and the UK's crime rate was double that of the US. Their violent crime rate was triple that of the US.

I didn't keep up with the stats to see if this is still the case today though (although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is).
coldjoint

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 11:28 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
and the UK's crime rate was double that of the US. Their violent crime rate was triple that of the US.

I think it would be a good place(the UK) for some of these posters to move to.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Not much on following the research eh

Odds as your "side" have not been making a habit of posting studies and graphs and hard numbers.

Damn war on drugs and what it is doing to the black communities is a shame.

Thirteen percents of the population is black and their homicide rate is near half of the overall homicide rate!!!!

The lives we would save if we would just move toward a public health approach to the drugs problem on both side of the border.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:39 pm
@BillRM,
The mentally ill can follow instructions correctly let alone not kill themselves while doing it?
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:57 pm
@parados,
You mean that you think that someone with a mental illness can not normally function to the point of not being to follow simple directions?

All kinds of high functional mentally ill persons in society.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 03:17 pm
@BillRM,
We should get an number on what the worst case scenario is....if the state was to prevent gun use by those who are on big pharma mind altering drugs, on street drugs, and who has even been accused of domestic abuse or has had a restraining order issued just how many people would be allowed guns? The number surely is less than half the people.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 03:47 pm
@snood,
Right you are. This way if they concentrate voters on Hillery the voters might not notice what dicks most of the republican candidates are.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 03:50 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Yep, the cia teach their terroists how to make preasure cooker bombs. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 03:56 pm
@izzythepush,
He cant. Not enough intelligence to do so.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 05:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Just read that a man was charge with having a firearm due to
him having a DUI conviction of all thing.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:04 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Just read that a man was charge with having a firearm due to
him having a DUI conviction of all thing.

That's nothing. Since the beginning of the Obama Administration, all disabled war veterans have been barred from owning guns. They are currently trying to expand that to include all disabled people period. After that, people who wear glasses or use hearing aids are going to have to start worrying.

This is why it is vital to ensure that everyone has a way to buy guns without being subjected to background checks.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:08 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Since the beginning of the Obama Administration, all disabled war veterans have been barred from owning guns

What?

PTSD/Suicide?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:51 pm
http://bearingarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/cg50ed78a4d282e_custom-e24a149cb11b286adec519de1b6222b067094eaf-s4.jpg

http://bearingarms.com/weve-gotta-do-something-oh-wait/
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 08:02 pm
My WW2 brother in law was in for treatment when they asked him to tied a knot without telling him why.

Turn out they did it to see if he was still fit to drive a car in some way.

In any case he fail and after the VA report him his state took away his driver license and he needed to jump through all kind of hoops to get his license back.

My question is one how is tying a knot have to do with driving and how dare they subject him to a test without telling him upfront the reason for the test.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 08:13 pm
@BillRM,
It's not just the VA, it's the entire Obama Administration.

I was serious about them trying to expand the list until the entire nation was barred from buying guns:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-gun-law-20150718-story.html
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 08:31 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
until the entire nation was barred from buying guns:

What is crazy as all those ant-buying laws have zero effect on someone who do not care if they are legally buying a gun or not.

Oh there is an interesting loophole that a bar owner that I knew took advantage of to be openly armed when he would do late night cash drop off at his bank.

He wore a civil war black powder cavalry revolver on his hip that look like a small cannon.

The revolver/cannon was not consider a firearm under both federal and state laws due to it age and being a black powder weapon.

footnote no one that I know of ever try to hold him up.
FBM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 09:07 pm
@BillRM,
I bought one of those fully functional cap-and-ball kits when I was still a teenager. .44 cal. Target practiced with it for many years.

In other news:

Quote:
Mass Panic Ensues, School Locked Down After Student Says “Gum”

Hays County, TX – Police were called to Lehman High School this week, and students were forced to stay in their classrooms for an extended period of time after a student asking for gum led to a gun scare at the school.

His request was reportedly overheard by another student, who believed that he heard the word “gun.” The student told administrators that someone on the campus had a gun, and police were then called to the scene.

It was eventually determined that all of the hype was created by a simple request for chewing gum.
In another case of school officials adhering to ridiculous zero tolerance policies, a student from South Carolina was suspended and arrested by police recently after writing an imaginative story about using a gun to shoot a dinosaur.

The offender, 16-year-old Alex Stone of Summerville High School in a suburb of Charleston was in the course of completing an assignment where students were asked to write something brief about themselves, much like Facebook status updates.

Stone told reporters that he found himself in hot water with teachers for being over imaginative and mentioning the word ‘gun’.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/gun-scare-prompts-police-lock-school-student-asks-gum/#xrmEHes48bFOYyBY.99

Let me reiterate that I am NOT taking sides on the gun issue. Just posting a silly news story.
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 09:13 pm
@FBM,
did you ever have a ball roll out the barrel ?

I tried hunting with a muzzle loader once and, as I was taking a piss by a tree (while holding my rifle, barrel down), I heard this toonky-toonky-toonk-toonk-toonk- PLOP the bal rolled out the barrel. I didnt stuff a patch in there.

Fortunately I did not see a deer all day, and then I quit all big game hunting in favor of only small game and goose with weapons as god had intended us to own, cartridge based, center fire, and multi shot capacity.
FBM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 09:19 pm
@farmerman,
Heh heh. No, I never had a ball roll out, but I did forget to grease up the chambers once and had a chainfire. No injury or damage. I eventually bought one with a 12" barrel and used it for deer hunting before I stopped hunting altogether. Extremely accurate out to about 140 yards. Just take elevation and windage into account.
farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 01:43 am
@FBM,
slow muzzle v no?

I was goose hunting other week and tried thee new "mafia shots". Its ;like a number 2 reduced load that reaches out there . The pattern is huge but at 75 yds, its a bout a goose sized space between shot, so you can miss too far out. BUT it really knocks em down and theyre not just wounded.

Ill only shoot canada geese cause they taste good. Snow geese have a bag limit like passenger pigeons an I have no idea in hell why people even hunt em, cause they dont eat em.

Changing farm habits have invited huge flights of snow geese but have removed the ring necked pheasant