Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

roger

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 10:05 pm
@farmerman,
What car are you asking about? The one my sister finally bought with automatic, or the one I happen to be driving now. Hers was some kind of Toyota and was auto as I said. Mine is an '03 Focus. I was at the Ford dealer a couple of weeks ago, and they have one version of the '15 Focus only available in 6 speed manual. Might even be turbo charged, but not sure of that.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 10:23 pm
@McGentrix,
I thought that only Hillary could be accused of driving a broom stick by conservatives.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 10:27 pm
@snood,
Havent you seen the one about Tramp..... I mean Trump.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 10:29 pm
@farmerman,
You can still buy them for about eight hundred bucks or so. Which is why only the conservative 1% can afford them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 10:38 pm
@RABEL222,
Yeah, I've seen the one Edgar started about Trump, but if there are an array of GOP - themed threads, I'm somehow missing 'em. I still say the rightwingnuts don't start threads about any of that busload of clowns because they know in their peanut sized hearts there is nothing good to say about them.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 11:08 pm
@BillRM,
So why do you think there are so much gun violence in the US and so little pressure cooker violence?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 11:20 pm
@Olivier5,
very simple.

Most of these are false flag operations. Intended to change the public support on gun control.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 11:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
So why do you think there are so much gun violence in the US and so little pressure cooker violence?

First in spite of the news media all violence including gun violence is at a near 100 years low.

Now as far as mass murderers they seems to take the path of least resister like the rest of us for that matter so picking up a gun take no thinking unlike building an IED.

We should be grateful for that being the case as even simple IEDs tend to be far more deadly then guns as tools as mass murders.

They throw out thousands of bits of metal such as nails at speeds only a high power rifle can match in a few mil-seconds. So fast that their victims are cut apart before the sound of the explosion can reach their ears.
Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:18 am
@farmerman,
FWIW, in the 1980s the percentage of NA cars that had standard transmissions comprised about 30% of the market. Now that figure is about 10% and shrinking.
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:19 am
@Ragman,
I think 10% is actually high.
Jeep quit making the stickshif RUBICON in 2013 . Same thing with Porsche, Lambo, even the Miata is going "paddle shifter" in 2016
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:29 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
First in spite of the news media all violence including gun violence is at a near 100 years low.

Care to prove that?

Quote:
Now as far as mass murderers they seems to take the path of least resister like the rest of us for that matter so picking up a gun take no thinking unlike building an IED.

In other words, it's far easier to kill with a gun than with a pressure cooker... After all, that's precisely what guns are designed to do: kill people in the most efficient manner possible. As opposed to pressure cookers that are designed to cook things efficiently...

Therefore, gun ownership regulation could lower homicide levels by making killing people more difficult. QED.
saab

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:30 am
@farmerman,
In Germay automatic is about 30% but Porche sportscars it is about 85%

I have tried both and somehow I like stick shift better. I have a feeling I have better control over the car in snow and ice and in hilly landscape.
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:38 am
@saab,
I love them paddle shifters. You get the feel of control without all the bullshit clutching. Anyway, cars with AWD shouldnt be outfit with standard shift. (does Porsche even still make a front wheel drive or 2 wheel?)
waitll that new version of the Ford GT40 comes out in 2017. Thats AWD, 650 hp Al body and tricked out all to hell. Supposed to do 0-60 in about 2.5 seconds (a street machine).
All paddle, no offering of stick when all that tech is computer run.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 01:55 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Care to prove that?

Prove it!!!!!!

Had you been sleeping on this thread as how many times does someone need to give links on one thread?

Check the damn FBI crime reports yourself this time.

Quote:
n other words, it's far easier to kill with a gun than with a pressure cooker

No it is harder to killed large numbers of people with a firearm not easier and thank god for lazy would be mass murderers.

Are you awake this time as for one more time here is a link showing that the overall homicide is way down.

Quote:
http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=2221

In the last decade (since 2000) the homicide rate declined to levels last seen in the mid-1960s.

Below is a nice link with charts showing the decreasing Homicide rate in the US.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/virtual_disk_library/index.cgi/5772776/FID1/pdf/htius.pdf
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 02:38 am
@BillRM,
Mass killings are not going up either and the peak was in 1929.

https://d1jn4vzj53eli5.cloudfront.net/mc/jwalker/2012_12/MassShootings.jpg?h=270&w=450

Quote:

https://reason.com/blog/2012/12/17/are-mass-shootings-becoming-more-common

Grant Duwe, a criminologist with the Minnesota Department of Corrections who has written a history of mass murders in America, said that while mass shootings rose between the 1960s and the 1990s, they actually dropped in the 2000s. And mass killings actually reached their peak in 1929, according to his data. He estimates that there were 32 in the 1980s, 42 in the 1990s and 26 in the first decade of the century.

Fox made his point in greater seems like these dreadful crimes are occurring more frequently, it is really the immediacy and pervasiveness of media coverage that creates the impression. And thanks to state-of-the-art technology, it can feel as though the tragedy happened in your own backyard."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 03:05 am
@BillRM,
That's not all you can't figure out. It's inertia, taking the easy route, driving an automatic is easy compared to a manual. In the UK if you take your test in an automatic you're only licenced to drive automatics, and as most cars are manual transmission, it's only an option for the most helpless of individuals. Not in America, being unfamiliar with a manual gearbox will have little effect on one's ability to get on the road. Similarly lots of kids don't see the point in learning to tell the time with a standard clock face, not with digital displays all over the place.

I never suggested American's were incapable of learning to drive a manual, just that so many can't be bothered, maybe not your generation, but certainly those below yours.

The same is true of guns, with an arsenal of guns one can make a big statement very easily. If the same person needed to surf the dark web to manufacture bombs they won't find it as easy.

You want to make it easier for such people to operate. All of your nonsense about bombs flies in the face of common sense, and your relaxed attitude towards a 14 year old illegally purchasing a gun shows you're not remotely interested in responsible gun ownership.

You've spent far too much time on the dark web, that you've managed to normalise your perverse attitude towards the sexual exploitation of women and children amongst other things.

As always you exemplify the most base impulses of humanity. Normal people don't think like that.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 03:26 am
http://www.davidicke.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/get-attachment-111.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 05:39 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
In the last decade (since 2000) the homicide rate declined to levels last seen in the mid-1960s.

Then how can they be "at a near 100 years low"?... You keep contradicting yourself, Bill.

A recent study by some Harvard guys showed that mass shooting are becoming far more frequent in the US:

http://assets.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/shootingsSince2011-mfms11.png

Quote:
In June, following gun attacks in California and Oregon, President Obama remarked that mass shootings are "becoming the norm." But some commentators claim that mass shootings are not on the rise. So which is it?

Have mass shootings become more common?
According to our statistical analysis of more than three decades of data, in 2011 the United States entered a new period in which mass shootings are occurring more frequently. Our analysis used data compiled by Mother Jones on attacks that took place in public, in which the shooter and the victims generally were unrelated and unknown to each other, and in which the shooter murdered four or more people. (An incident with four or more homicide victims was the threshold count for mass killing established by the FBI a decade ago; a federal law signed by President Obama in 2013 defined the threshold as three or more victims killed.)

So why do we keep hearing in the media that mass shootings have not increased?
This view stems from the work of Northeastern University criminologist James Alan Fox, who has long maintained that mass shootings are a stable phenomenon. ("The growing menace lies more in our fears than in the facts," he has said.) But Fox's oft-cited claim is based on a misguided approach to studying the problem: The data he uses includes all homicides in which four or more people were murdered with a gun. His analysis, which counts the number of events per year, lumps together mass shootings in public places with a far more numerous set of mass murders that are contextually distinct—a majority of which stem from domestic violence and occur in private homes. Fox's annual count and use of overly broad data including many types of mass killings fail to detect the recent shift in public mass shootings.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/mass-shootings-increasing-harvard-research
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 05:48 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
No it is harder to killed large numbers of people with a firearm not easier and thank god for lazy would be mass murderers.

Well, most people are lazy, in that they would not chose to do something the hard way if there's a simpler way. If mass murderers are lazy people, it follows that they choose the easiest way to kill people, which is guns, not pressure cookers. Therefore, regulating gun ownership could result in making it more difficult for them to kill people. Works for me.

Tell me what you don't understand here.
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:51 am
@Olivier5,
Oh, so if you have some magic wand to get rid of all firearms all 300 millions or so firearms the people with a desire to kill would for some strange reason would not turn to other means such as bombs?

Your logic is lacking.