Why do Politics matter?

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:52 am
I was recently asked why I never hang out in this arena... Well, in all honesty I fail to see any value in it. So, if anyone would care to explain why it's so important, I would appreciate it. Smile

Thanks.

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:55 am
@onevoice,
Truth is that it's not important but it can be fun. Life should not be so serious and rigid..and no one else needs to be convinced that one's own ideas and beliefs have merit. It's up to the person to sort things out and self-validate. Proselytizing is a waste of time and riles up the troops.
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:01 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Proselytizing is a waste of time and riles up the troops.

Ummm... I thought that's what politics is all about? Trying to convince someone "your" views, religious or not, are right? Which by the way is the other reason I don't hang around here... Lol
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:26 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Life should not be so serious and rigid..and no one else needs to be convinced that one's own ideas and beliefs have merit.

I couldn't agree more. So why throw oneself in the middle of all the chaos of the people who don't view it as "fun", but rather an arena to bash other people on the head with their beliefs?
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:31 am
@onevoice,
I've always wondered why people who have political leanings and want to discuss them in a forum like this aren't more constructively involved at a grass-roots level or attending political groups activities in the real world. I see discussion online of politics sort of tilting at windmills. Where the rubber really meets the road with politics is campaigning or joining and being involved with action groups..or discussing (in person) at one's political affiliated group meetings and helping get one's preferred candidate elected into office.
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:31 am
@onevoice,
BOOYA.

Just answered my Own question. Smile

Thanks for the help Ragman.

PEACE OUT!

Wink
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:32 am
@Ragman,
Agreed!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:33 am
@onevoice,
My work here has been done! Laughing Twisted Evil
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:34 am
@Ragman,
Bravo Chap! You get a standing O from me! Very Happy
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:35 am
@onevoice,
I wish you good luck, sincerely.
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 07:37 am
@Ragman,
Why thank you. Smile
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 08:48 am
I think you are working on the assumption that everyone's minds are made up and they are just venting at each other. There is likely the silent majority that is reading alone and weighing the arguments. Personally, I have developed or refined opinions on topics after seeing the debates here and following interesting links.
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 09:34 am
@engineer,
I hate assuming, but yes I do do it sometimes unfortunately and I apologize for that. I honestly don't think most people who meet me have any idea just how sheltered a life I have lived. Plus... I am not sure if it is my adhd, but politics has never interested me what so ever, which makes it extremely difficult for me to even think about it or discuss it. I would like to see outside my own view here... But its like pulling teeth to find something I am even interested in! I have tried. Believe it or not. Lol

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 10:53 am
@onevoice,
Politicking is essentially persuading others to join your side. Politicking cannot be avoided. Politicking happens in all walks of life. Not just politics.
onevoice

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:59 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Politicking happens in all walks of life. Not just politics.

But why?
djjd62

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 01:47 pm
i try to avoid any kind of political or sociological association whenever possible

i remember seeing a tv commercial for match.com, the tag line was something like, "meet people just like you, who share common interests", and i'm thinking, those are the last people i want to meet
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 02:34 pm
@onevoice,
Good question. I really had to think of an artful way to articulate a good answer. I guess the question essentially is why do people want other people to join their side in any particular issue, view, or opinion. I believe there are certain basic elements that are present. The first element is that you have a strong belief or opinion regarding a specific issue. The second element is that you believe that persuading other people to agree with you will 1. GREATLY affect your life in a positive way, 2. GREATLY affect the life of someone you care about in a positive way, or 3. GREATLY affect a group or category of people you care about in a positive way. The flip side is that you also believe that people opposing your view will GREATLY affect your life, someone else who is close to you, or a category of people that you care about, in a negative way.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 03:28 pm
@Real Music,
One might visit Ronald Reagans presidental race. He was an actor and read scripts in such a way as to make people think he was a genius. He was in the early stages of alzhimers disease but of course the republican powers that be dident care because he could be controlled. And he was. Under his presidency he instituted the trickle down theory of economics which was to make the 1% richer and richer under the theory that the wealth would trickle down to the middle class. It was partly true. The rich have gotten much richer but the middle class has gotten much smaller and poorer. The rich moved their money to foreign countries while shutting down industry and eleminating US jobs in order to become even richer. And than there was bush 2. Two 3 trillion dollar wars that went unfunded and cost ten of thousands of young american lives and caused a economic collapse that we havent yet recovered from because people are too stupid to realize that congress is protecting the very rich. POLITICS MATTER, and especially at this point when we want to stop the republicanization of the Supreme Court. Think declaring corporations living breathing people with the right to vote.
Real Music

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 03:42 pm
@RABEL222,
You don't have to convince me. You are preaching to the choir. I agree. Politics does matter. I never believe that trickle down theory actually worked. The more you give the super wealthy, the more they keep for themselves. On the other hand the more you give to the working class, the more they actually spend, which has a trickle up affect. I do believe in the trickle up theory.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 05:16 am
@RABEL222,
Couldn't have put it better, if you don't vote you've got no right to criticise the government. Everything comes from politics, from the right to have clean drinking water to having your children adequately educated. That's true for small countries but especially true for Americans. America is still the most powerful country on Earth, and its people can elect someone who can make the world a better place or serve the financial interests of their backers.

Look at the damage Dubya did, first allowing 9/11 to happen, totally screwing up the invasion of Afghanistan, illegally invading Iraq, leading to the wholescale slaughter of innocents, the creation of a breeding ground for ISIS, a disregard for international law which lead to Putin following America's lead in Georgia and Ukraine.

Politics does matter, if just a few more people had voted for Gore, or an educated, involved electorate had not allowed Floridian legislators to steal the presidency, then none of the above would have happened. Dick Cheney wouldn't be quite so rich though.