Glucosamine Supplements

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
Has anyone ever heard of taking glucosamine supplament for tendonitis? I have chronic tendonitis in my shoulder and sometimes it bothers me so badly I can't even lift my arm.

I heard that a glucosamine supplament (which is primarily used for joint health) can help relieve tendonitis. Anyone know of any truth behind this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,211 • Replies: 24
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:03 pm
I use glucosamine/chondroitin for my knees. I used to have bad, arthritic knees but I have been pain-free for seven years! And I can climb mountains, play tennis and run for miles without pain. I used to have a mild tendon problem in my shoulder and it cleared up and went away when I started the glucosamine. It may be coincidence...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:12 am
Kristie, are you sure it's just tendonitis? Your poor range of motion suggests something more, like a rotator cuff problem. I have rotator cuff tears in both shoulders. In my right shoulder the suprainatus(sp?) tendon has torn completely and retracted to the point that successful surgery (according to my "second opinion" orthopedic surgeon) is of doubtful value. But with shoulder exercises (performed five times a week) and a combination of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM--I am vlirltually pain-free, and with enough mobility to return to playing the violin. I'll never be able to throw a ball, however. But at my age nobody'll ever choose me for their team.
Good luck.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 04:49 pm
What exercises work for you, JL? The ball end of my arm was replaced some years ago, which is what the whole shebang attaches to, and am still having range of motion problems.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:18 pm
Roger, these are standard orthopedic SHOULDER exercises. They may be inappropriate for other parts of the body. They consist of the use of very light weights (3 lbs). I slowly lift the small dumbells to my front, side and rear with the palms of the hands facing up, in, down, and in "pouring" position, etc. And I do stretching exercises of various sorts. They are all hard to describe, but if you are interested, I'll make the effort. You are talking about the top of your arm as it fits into the socket? I should think the surgeon who did that would have prescribed physical therapy to you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:07 pm
I am a staunch believer in glucosamin chondroitin taken in tandem with MSM. My sister had 'tendonistis' type symptoms in her shoulder that gave her fits and after nothing the doctor gave her or recommended helped, she started taking my stuff. Within three months she was pain free.

I had arthritis in one hip so bad I was walking with a chronic limp and climbing and especially descending stairs had become a serious, painful difficulty. With the glucosamine chondroitin and MSM I am now pain free and doing two to four power walk miles daily......stairs are no problem even with a 20-lb computer pack on my shoulder.

It's good stuff. Can't hurt to try.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
As I said, I am also pain free and feel like I'm 20 years younger than my 44 years. I would recommend it to anyone with any joint pain.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:17 pm
I understand that Costco sells a liquid containing all three ingredients. A friend has been taking two spoonfuls a day and reports wonderful gains.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:23 pm
That's it, JL. The ball at the top of the humerus was shattered, and replaced with a stainless disc attached to a spike cemented into the remaining part of the bone. The work was done at the VA hospital in Albuquerque, which has therepists. At the time, roundtrip fare on Mesa from Farmington was $160.00, so I got a few sessions locally, and couldn't afford more.

Currently, I exercise flat on back with a dowel stick to force external rotation of the joint, and other shoulder movements, followed by light weights to strengthen and increase strength. It hasn't worked as well as I had hoped, but I think I get the thrust of what you are doing, though, if you have anything to add, it would be appreciated.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:36 pm
Roger, if you give me your mailing address by way of a PM, I'll xerox my small exercise instruction booklet and mail it to you. You may just want to try those exercises to see if they help. But slowly and carefully. I suspect some moves can harm. I know that one of the exercises I do VERY carefully can make my condition worse if I'm too rambunctous in their performance.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:37 pm
That's one area in which I think our government is derelict and always has been--verterans should be able to get medical care wherever they are, not just where the VA Hospital is located. Didn't Champus used to cover veterans for just about everything? Or is that just active military?

And congratulations for surviving the Albuquerque VA hospital Roger. Smile (They do have a few good doctors there but oh my they do have problems.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:41 pm
Hmmm, I quit costco a year or so ago, found it was costing me money, as I tended to buy stuff I don't need when I went there, and some things I might need, say re computers, etc., are more up to date and have better support elsewhere. But the pharmacy is open to all, I gather.

So, I am wondering if that liquid concoction is in the regular aisles or via prescription. I guess I can answer this myself, I bet it is in the regular aisles.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:42 pm
Yes, the VA system is a national disgrace. People who stress our obligation to "support" our troops, ignore the disgrace, including recent Bush cut-backs.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:49 pm
Osso, I'm going there tomorrow to buy a supply. I'll you know. I didn't know you have joint problems. I guess I should have assumed it. I don't know many people over 55 who don't have at least an annoying amount of osteoarthritis, and men over 65 are very likely to have SOME degree of rotator cuff syndrome, according to a doctor friend.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:53 pm
Um Bush has NOT cut any veteran benefits. They have recommended a few old, outdated, and scandalous VA Hospitals be closed but they have also budgeted for others to be opened. Overalll VA funding is way up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:56 pm
I have a small amount of visible osteo in some fingers (aaaack! my hands!) I am not very good at keeping up with pills, but listening with interest here. My internist who happens to be a rheumatologist said g/c worked about 15% of the time but was worth trying. I haven't taken it routinely enough to tell.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:09 pm
If you go the glucosamine chondroitin route Osso, be sure to get a bottle of MSM to go with it. You can get both pretty cheap at Costco or any of the big chains. And take it religiously three times a day as directed. That part is a real pain. But it does make a difference for most of us 'old timers' and apparently even some of those young timers too. (But lest I'm giving unauthorized medical advice here, be sure to run this by your rheumatologist. Chances are s/he will say it can't hurt.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:15 pm
Don't worry, fox, I know re the unauthorized etceteras. I already take millions of eyedrops every ex number of hours and don't want to rack myself into some giant pill routine. Or am reluctant. I do get it that the magnesium seems to be helpful.

Ah well, I guess I need to step up to the pill plate, at least to give it an honest trial.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:33 pm
Foxfyre, perhaps what I heard is that the rate of increase in the VA budget has been reduced. Anyway, I admit that I'm prepared to believe any bad rumor about Bush. He has made it so easy to do so.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 05:37 am
I started with 3 pills a day but now take about 3 pills a week. It's different for everyone.
0 Replies