Examples of falsification of history

chiczaira

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
Yes, I agree, Plainoldme. That is why the government should shut down all of the greedy drug companies, exprrpriate their facilities( after paying for them, of course) and set up a government system, which, as everyone knows, is far more effective than the system we have now.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:36 am
Dear POM: there are bigger criminals: the people who invent and approve this **** for public consumption.

When your pill-pusher tells you of known side-effects from the latest chemical concoction or that you must take it in certain circumstances, he knows damn well there's a chance it can make you sicker or maybe kill you. The American Medical Association controls the US Food and Drugs Administration which approves these expensive poisons.

Go back to Jini Thompson and her flat, easy, one-dimensional solutions.
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:22 am
How simplistic!!!
There are many deleterious side effects to my aunt's blood pressure medicine--most of them in the 1 or 2%% range of probability. She does not dare, however, having had Blood Pressure readings around 180/100 to stop her medication because of the slight chance that she be bothered by side effects.
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:22 am
How simplistic!!!
There are many deleterious side effects to my aunt's blood pressure medicine--most of them in the 1 or 2%% range of probability. She does not dare, however, having had Blood Pressure readings around 180/100 to stop her medication because of the slight chance that she be bothered by side effects.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:16 am
How'd we get from falsification of history to bashing pharmaceutical companies?
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
Quote:
To the victor the spoils
and history is written by those with the big bucks.

Apart from the military-industrial, what is the biggest money-maker in the world? Chemical- and knife-based doctoring!
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:42 am
Quote:
Apart from the military-industrial, what is the biggest money-maker in the world? Chemical- and knife-based doctoring!

The God biz is pretty big---possibly bigger than the cut and drug biz. Fer instance most Calvinists, Anglicans, and Methodists don't seem to realize that the 'perfect book', the KJ Bible 1612, is a second edition. It seem that a KJ Bible was published in 1611, but this 'perfect book' didn't achieve perfection and was recalled for editorial errors.

Rap
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 10:30 am
Yes Rap, religion was the biggest I reckon, until the advent of patented medicines.

Try this little feller, he'll lift your eyebrows: Death by Medicine

Nothing can touch the hospital-emergency services when something's really broken, but they can still kill you. Halfway through the VietNam war the US Army realised that wounded soldiers were better off with low blood pressure because this aided healing especially internal. More than half a war-worth of reopened wounds because everyone said pour the claret into 'im!

Over-riding of course is the fact of war: men have been doing this for a very, very long time. We just refuse to learn that fighting proves absolutely nothing except mine's bigger'n yours, until someone nastier comes along and knocks your lolly off; and so on and on.

That's fine for the powerful and those who can afford the best; but f'rinstance the Iraqi populace don't like to compare life now with life BG (before George).

Let's all think back to Jini Thompson and open up to unconventional possibilities and ideas ... pursue the many layers of truth and the many facets of reality; it'll be expensive and long, but "grass-roots" opinion and discussion will change the upper Washington ranks just like Solzhenitsyn did; with just a little help from Pope JP2 and Walensa. If you don't believe and teach this, it may be better to just lay down and die right now.

The world needs a hell of a lot of TLC - the tenderest of loving care ... not the poisons in our veins and our guts, the knives we're getting now.

And I intend to enjoy a few more years yet - if only to enjoy the welfare my taxes have been paying for, for so long.

Confused
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
Paaskynen,

Re: The History of the World

Now that my ribs have stoped hurting and I can breath again... Did Sam Goldwin pen that? I fear that the communication skills of students today are not in decline, they have hit bottom. Their grasp of World history is truly unique. My deepest thanks for the best laughing fit I have had in years.

My favorite historic propaganda comes from my Catholic grade school days. The Crusades were launched to save Jerusalem from the infidels. I wonder how all of those poor Knights came back rich Knights?
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:33 pm
Re: Examples of falsification of history
Paaskynen wrote:
Throughout the course of history the description of quote]

Well said. You have books in elementary schools that depict Lincoln as the great advocate of slaves and that being his desired endgame during the civil war. In reality he was fighting to unite the confederate colonies and using the slaves as propaganda. He was an owner himself. Along with a few green back presidents. Isn't it great that we etched them in stone and printed them on greenbacks because they symbolized freedom..... owning slaves with minimal publicity,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:50 pm
There is absolutely no reason to believe that Lincoln ever owned a slave of any description.
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:59 pm
What???? He never said he didn't advocate the trade and numerous inuendos have been made indicating he did so alond with many founding fathers. I'll load some text tonight. I guess you were a victim of falsification of history. XOXOXO
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 01:15 pm
Lincoln never owned slaves but his father-in-law did.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 01:17 pm
A misuse of history is quite prevalent right now.

The right, in attempting to fight gay marriage, claims, historically, marriage has always been between a man and a woman.

Strictly speaking, that is not true. Marriage has always been a way to insure property rights will be protected and that families have a way of holding on to their land. It was an economic relationship and the couple was almost incidental to the alliance wrought.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 01:56 pm
Can of Ham wrote:
What???? He never said he didn't advocate the trade and numerous inuendos have been made indicating he did so alond with many founding fathers. I'll load some text tonight. I guess you were a victim of falsification of history. XOXOXO

Keep your cute little xoxox crap to yourself. You are either the victim of online crap, or you're trying to peddle crap yourself. The above quoted passage makes little sense in standard English, and you are falsifying history yourself even now. The founding fathers is a term used to refer to those who made the revolution (1775-83), and those who made the Constitution (1787). Abraham Lincoln was born in February, 1809, more than a generation after the revolution. It is doubtful that an awkward backwoods boy with no formal education had any opportunity to speak with Thomas Jefferson, for example, who was dead before Lincoln reached his eighteenth birthday. Adams died the same days as Jefferson, and Washington was in his grave a decade before Lincoln was born. Either you are confused about names and dates and the conjunction, or lack thereof, of peoples lives and actions; or you are peddling some nonsense you have credulously swallowed due to a lack of the ability to judge your sources.

Lincoln on slavery and freedom:

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." -- April 6, 1859, letter to Henry Pierce

"I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free." -- August 22, 1862, letter to Horace Greeley

"In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free--honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best, hope of earth." -- December 1, 1862, Message to Congress

"We have, as all will agree, a free Government, where every man has a right to be equal with every other man. In this great struggle, this form of Government and every form of human right is endangered if our enemies succeed." -- August 22, 1864, in speaking to the One Hundred Sixty-fourth Ohio Regiment, as recorded in numerous newspapers

"You know I dislike slavery; and you fully admit the abstract wrong of it."

and

"The slave-breeders and slave-traders, are a small, odious and detested class, among you; and yet in politics, they dictate the course of all of you, and are as completely your masters, as you are the master of your own negroes." -- August 24, 1855, letter to Joshua Speed

"This is a world of compensations; and he who would be no slave, must consent to have no slave." -- April 6, 1859, letter to Henry Pierce

Finally, what is perhaps his most celebrated comment on the subject, from the Lincoln-Douglas debates, 1858:

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy."

All of this material can easily be verified. Are you going to be able to provide verifiable sources after you have "loaded some text?"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:58 pm
Temper, temper, Set. I've run into this sort of crapola among people who have absolutely no knowledge of history and actually confuse Abraham Lincoln with George Washington! (If you find that hard to fathom, you should have met the young lad who asked me whether Geo. Washington had fought for the Blue or the Gray.) I have personally been asked whether I fought in World War I or II? I mean, I know I'm not geting any younger but. . . Then there was the student who didn't realize that the Korean conflict came after World War II.

These are not matters of falsification of history but, rather, of the generally abysmal state of knwledge about history in general among "the general", as Shakespeare called the masses.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:55 pm
I was at a party almost 20 years ago, and a young woman was holding forth on the day Kennedy was shot. I gave her the squinty-eyed once over, and suggested that she were not old enough to recall the event. She blushed, and then, to change the subject, she asked who was the President when i was born. I replied Harry Truman. She said: "Who?"

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:31 am
I'm always appalled when I meet people nearing their age of majority who have never heard of Truman or Eisenhower, for whom Roosevelt is a just a vague name (and they constantly confuse Teddy with Franklin) and who think that Hoover is only a vacuum cleaner brand. And don't ever mention Garfield to these folks. To them, it's only a fat cat.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:04 am
I can see why you're appalled at such ignorance, Andrew, but your post made me smile anyway. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:42 am
Is that kitty awinkin' at us ? ! ? ! ?

The ol' flirt . . .

When my grandfather and grandmother were born, William McKinley was President. I was raised in their house, and during the Fourth of July parade in that slice of small town Americana, they'd prop up the Spanish War veterans in the back of a Caddy convertible to wave to the crowd. My grandfather and his contemporaries of the Great War era made up the color guard, while the Dubya-Dubya Two vets were allowed to march behind them. You could still see model A Fords and the original Ford trucks sitting in farm yards, and we still got milk from the milk train in the morning.

There was a connection to the past, and timeless social ritual in my childhood which i do not know still continues. It's a shame if our children and children's children will lose that connection to what we were and where and how we lived . . .

hmmmm
0 Replies