4-roomed flat, 5-storeyed pagoda...

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 11:44 pm
Do native speakers write "4 -roomed flat", etc and "5-storeyed pagoda", 20-storeyed building", etc.?

Thanks.

roger

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:05 am
@tanguatlay,
We would say either "A five story building" or "A five storied pagoda"

In America, we would say 'apartment' rather than 'flat'. In England they seem to say 'flat'. I don't know about the rest of the world.

Also, we would say 'A five room apartment (or flat). I've never heard 'A five roomed apartment, though it wouldn't really be incorrect.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:07 am
They use the word "flat" in most of the 53 countries of the British Commonwealth as well as Ireland.

These spellings in the question - "flat", "storeyed" are correct British English.

There is a difference between American and British spellings:

British:
Noun: storey (singular); storeys (plural); my bedroom is on the upper storey of the house; my house has two storeys; that house is three storeys high.

Adjectival after number: storeyed (alternative: storey): I live in a two-storeyed house (or a two-storey house); a bungalow is a single-storeyed building (or a single-storey building).

N. American:
Noun: story (singular); stories (plural)
Adjectival after number: storied (alternative: story)

I do not know if they use "bungalow" in America.

In the case of storeyed/storied and room/roomed the -ed adjectival form is old fashioned I think.

In formal writing (at least in BrE) we write the number as a word in forms involving a number and an adjective or quantity: a six-mile walk; a ten-ton weight; a two-tone colour scheme. The figure e.g. 4-roomed flat would be used for informal situations or where space needs to be saved e.g. in real estate agent's lists.

I would also add that "floor" instead of "storey" is becoming the standard in everyday use, at least in BrE.

Finally, in BrE the ground level floor of a building is called the "ground floor", and the one above is the "first floor", in AmE these are usually called the "first floor" and the "second floor" respectively. I have noticed elevators in Europe seem to follow the British pattern: the buttons use 0,1,2,3 etc for the ground floor and those above it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:15 am
I agree with Roger that in American usage (and possibly in Canadian usage--although they make the usual array of spelling errors that the English do), one would not make a past participle out of a noun--"It's quite a large apartment complex, it's a 50 story building."

Bungalow is used in North America, and it means a one story building, or a "one and a half story" building, with the second story being of small dimensions, i.e., a garret.
Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:19 am
The general usage custom among Americans is to write out a number if it is ten or fewer (some people have a rule of a dozen or fewer), and to use ciphers (Arabic numerals) if it is more than ten (or twelve).
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
one would not make a past participle out of a noun

So, for Americans, love is a many-splendor thing?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:24 am
Using the work of lyricists as evidence of correct usage is a chancy proposition. At any event, i was not proposing a universally embraced usage rule.

Now for a brief musical interlude:

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:31 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The general usage custom among Americans is to write out a number if it is ten or fewer

I think it's a question of style. I might write "2 litres of milk" in a shopping list, but I would write "I have been fishing for six hours and have caught nothing" in quoted speech in a story or novel. Horses for courses, or these days, I imagine, "horses 4 courses" among the young. The Guardian (newspaper) style guide says "Spell out from one to nine; numerals from 10 to 999,999; thereafter use m, bn or tn"

[Edit: +1 for the Beatles]
Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:35 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Nothing i wrote suggests that it is not a matter of style==that was my point, or so i thought.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:36 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
the work of lyricists

Or novelists like Han Suyin? (Who managed to spell "Splendoured" correctly in her title.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:36 am
Oh, and i never buy liters (i do wish you people would learn to spell properly) of anything. If i wanted two quarts of milk, i'd just go buy a half gallon.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:37 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Nothing i wrote suggests that it is not a matter of style

Indeed; I was agreeing with you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:38 am
Well, don't do it again, by Dog!
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:44 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
i never buy liters (i do wish you people would learn to spell properly)

Blame it on the French (you usually do!) who invented the damn things. Incidentally, you can still buy milk in pints in Britain; the metric equivalent has to be shown too; so you find milk in containers marked "4 pints 2.272 litres" as well as ones marked "2 litres 1.14 pints" etc. I tend to get the biggest one of semi-skimmed (not "semi-skim"!) I can find in the particular store.

The Gov says:

Quote:
The only products you can sell in imperial measures are:

draught beer or cider by pint
milk in returnable containers by pint
precious metals by troy ounce

You can display an imperial measurement alongside the metric measurement but it can’t stand out more than the metric measurement.
roger

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:52 am
I hope you're writing all this down, Ms Tan.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:52 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
It's very amusing in Canadia, where the people are so earnest (or pretend to be). At the grocery store, butter is sold in blocks of 455 grams. If you get windshield wiper fluid or antifreeze (a true necessity in the great white north), it's sold in four liter bottles--it's sold in gallon bottles in the U.S. Much as you described, there are many things which are sold in traditional quantities, but the Canajuns are obsessed with metric measures, so the traditional 12 oz bottle or can of whatever, is marked 355 ml. There is a successful and popular chain of butcher shops in Ontario called M & M Meats. All of their products are listed in pounds and ounces. There is no enforcement for using metric, so they get away with it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:56 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
By the way, if i personally (rather than what i suspect is your sideswipe at all Americans) blame things on the French, it's because they're not here to defend themselves. I'm safe.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:17 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
your sideswipe

I humbly apologise if that was misinterpreted as such; I thought I was in "good-natured transatlantic usage banter" mode. If there is a clearly defined boundary between that and malicious side-swipery I am likely to step over it from time to time, I guess.
Quote:
they're not here to defend themselves

A wise man once said "Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you criticise them. Then they will be a mile away, and moreover you've got their shoes."
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:22 am
I think the British use of metric measurements has more to do with trade than earnestness. We are part of a market of 500 million people that we buy from and sell into.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:38 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I didn't say your sideswipe was malicious--but i've seen you do that before, whyich is to say, ascribe stereotypes of Americans to individuals here. As soon as i find out where you live, my shotgun and i will take of all of that.
0 Replies