America is a Democracy so maybe you should hold off!?

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
I challenge that assertion. Anciently, before the rise of temple societies, the need for recognized unions with discrete control of possessions or property would have been necessary. In the era of temple societies, there is no record of formalized public institutions or rites concerning such unions, but there is abundant record of testamentary provisions for the disposal of property.

Within recent historical times, there is much evidence that the majority of the population of adult males and females chose to live together without benefit of clergy. There are what are usually referred to as "classic studies" of working class populations as late as the era of the First World War, in which most of that working class population does not marry. The impulse to marriage comes from property and benefit issues, and not from religious exhortation.

To me, this is just another case of attempting to create a mythology of a crucial part for religion in the development of the polity. It just ain't so.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
Quote:
and actually dropping the word marriage altogether OR allowing the word to be used across the board for the union of two people suits me fine.....actually just everyone shutting the hell up about it is what would really suit best...the only time I think about it is when some "decent" person or politician mentions it....think if everyone took all the energy being used to address this non issue and applied it to giving just one person a hand up (not out) to become happier, more informed and more productive what could be accomplished. Of course that would be one less group for the "Good Christian Right" to feel superior too, and that wouldn't do.

Can I get an AMEN!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Would you be satisfied with a civil union that granted the same effective rights to homosexuals as a marriage does to heterosexuals?

Only if the right to marry is included.

Quote:
You are telling Catholics that they must believe something else now because the gays need to have special rights.

Nobody is doing this, if Catholics can't get their heads around gays marrying and feel compelled to change their beliefs that is their problem.

Furthermore, having the right to marry would equalize and not grant "special rights".
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:08 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Would you be satisfied with a civil union that granted the same effective rights to homosexuals as a marriage does to heterosexuals?

Only if the right to marry is included.

Quote:
You are telling Catholics that they must believe something else now because the gays need to have special rights.

Nobody is doing this, if Catholics can't get their heads around gays marrying and feel compelled to change their beliefs that is their problem.

Yes, they are doing this. By granting homosexuals marriage, they are forcing Catholics to recognize an affront to their religion.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Furthermore, having the right to marry would equalize and not grant "special rights".

Yes, they are granting them special rights. They have the right to marry now. They want special rights to marry someone that isn't the opposite sex.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Why should there always be 'something different', a 'civil union', which implements that 'marriage' should only be for heterosexuals? Isn't that inequality? Why not simple: marriage for both homosexuals and heterosexuals? Could it be that deep inside, people won't accept homosexuals to marry according what they believe is a sort of strange institution we call marriage AND should only be 'something' for heterosexuals because it is 'tradition'? What is so difficult of accepting homosexuals to marry according to the same standards heterosexuals have when they want to get married? Is it really THAT difficult?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
Redheat wrote:
Quote:
and actually dropping the word marriage altogether OR allowing the word to be used across the board for the union of two people suits me fine.....actually just everyone shutting the hell up about it is what would really suit best...the only time I think about it is when some "decent" person or politician mentions it....think if everyone took all the energy being used to address this non issue and applied it to giving just one person a hand up (not out) to become happier, more informed and more productive what could be accomplished. Of course that would be one less group for the "Good Christian Right" to feel superior too, and that wouldn't do.

Can I get an AMEN!

AMEN! "Marriage" is just a word, and today the legal significance of the word -- as housing or describing the place of legal sexual expression, shared property, and obligations for the care of children of a union-- is much reduced from what it once was, regardless of who uses it.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
self-centered and ignorant
McGentrix wrote:
By granting homosexuals marriage, they are forcing Catholics to recognize an affront to their religion.

Changing the laws to eliminate discrimination doesn't force the Catholics to recognize anything they find disgusting or unholy. I'm sure the Catholics will be just as homophobic after the laws are changed as they are right now. (I'm sure you will be too, but that's YOUR problem.)

The Catholic Church does not control the issuance of marriage licenses -- this is the exclusive province of state government. Even though the Catholics find divorces to be an affront to their religion, state laws control that issue too. State courts are granting divorces everyday.

If we threw the First Amendment out the window and allowed the Catholic Church to control domestic relations laws in this country, I dare say that the majority of the people would be royally pissed.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:58 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Redheat wrote:
Quote:

Can I get an AMEN!

AMEN! "Marriage" is just a word, and today the legal significance of the word -- as housing or describing the place of legal sexual expression, shared property, and obligations for the care of children of a union-- is much reduced from what it once was, regardless of who uses it.

I have to be honest here, it's still a word that scares the beejeebees out of me! Shocked

Debra great post!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:06 pm
How nice of you to put words into my mouth. I hope you litigate better in court than you do here at A2K.

By changing the law to get rid of one type of discrimination, you are open a new case. Of course, in today's society it is acceptable to discriminate against christians because they hold the perceived power in America. They should be able to deal with whatever the liberal left wants to throw their way.

If the states want to issue a civil union license, no one is stopping them. If the states want to change the definition of a union between a man an a woman to a union between two people, they can. Just do not call it marriage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:08 pm
If it's marriage there is no other name for it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:15 pm
Then it must not be marriage edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:16 pm
It certainly must be.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:20 pm
Some Marriage facts:

Quote:
Throughout history, and even today, families arranged marriages for couples. The people involved didn't and don't have much to say about the decision. Most couples didn't marry because they were in love but for economic liasons.

Some marriages were by proxy, some involved a dowry (bride's family giving money or presents to the groom or his family), some required a bride price (the groom or his family giving money or a present to the bride's family), few had any sort of courtship or dating, but most had traditions.

Source

Quote:
For most of mankind's "civilized" history, a woman was considered a possession of first her father and then her lawful husband. She had little voice in where they lived, what her husband did and her own duties. She (post-Christianity) must devote herself to her husband, family and faith. Aside from that, her time was her own.

There were exceptions. Many countries, prior to Christianity or missionary outreach, believed the women to be the spiritual advisors, warriors on equal footing and often times judge and jury. Women's councils were commonplace, for everything from healing and midwifery to dream interpretation for the community.

The ancient world had practices that set women up as trophies of war, competition and feats of strength or bravery. Like a gold statue, a chariot, a horse, farmland or other prize, officers and victors were awarded wives into the bargain. Armies would often return home with women as booty from a raid or battle won. These women were either enslaved or married off to the soldier who brought her home.

Monogamous marriages rose to their peak during the Victorian period in British history. The Puritans moved marriage to a point where love counted and delighting in the state of marriage became commonplace, yet extremely committed. The Victorian period dragged marriage into the closet. Sex was something embarrassing and improper with a quiet understanding that married couples engaged in marital relations, without pleasure and as duty and God dictated.

For more

Quote:
In Homeric epic, a man could also "marry" a girl by winning her in a competition or by stealing her as booty. The Greek heroes left Troy with Trojan women as their "prizes." There was no "polygamy"; instead, a husband might have a wife and concubine, as seen frequently in ancient works about the Homeric heroes. If the wife gave her consent, the children of the concubine could be appointed as heirs. Yet, society demanded that a woman be faithful to her husband, begetting legitimate children.

One compelling motivation for marriage was the political alliance between noble families that the marriage would establish. Gradually, however, money replaced birth as a conduit to political influence, and marriages were consequently not as necessary for establishing political alliances.

For more

Quote:
Examples of matriarchal clans were widespread throughout the world, persisting into modern times. Many of the North American indigenous tribes were matriarchal. Among the Iroquois, the women only tilled the soil (with primitive hoes). They controlled the food supply, cooked the food, tended the children and made the clothing for the tribe. The men helped agriculturally only by clearing new ground. They also hunted, fished, made weapons and went to war. Marriages were generally arranged by the mothers and chief women. The husband only visited his wife's home (lodge or long house) occasionally. He was obligated to bring game or fish, and if he did not, she could divorce him. Married couples had the right to divorce whenever they wished to. Generally, if they had children, this was discouraged by the tribe. The women also dominated the ruling council. The women decided on war and peace and the disposition of prisoners. Inheritances were strictly passed from women to their children.

Other North American indigenous matriarchal tribes included the Wyandots, Narragansetts, Winnebegs, Creeks, Potawattamis and Pueblos. Some South American, Caribbean, East African, Southeast Asian and Pacific Island tribes had matriarchal organization as well.

Over time, men began to develop crafts and commerce with other tribes. Some were able to accumulate wealth. These men no longer had to serve to attain a wife. They could purchase one, or more than one if their means permitted. This is probably how matriarchy gave way to patriarchy. Men not only ruled women, but the wealthiest men ruled society- i.e. the State was established. These men-rulers also subjugated other men, who became their slaves. The "State," or ruling men, became concerned primarily with war: conquering other peoples, securing both their wealth and servitude. Over time, the development of international commerce and larger scale production of goods as well as the creation of currencies or money to replace barter was the early phase of capitalism. The family, which had been the unit of production of goods through hard labor and largely self-sufficient was replaced gradually by capital, i.e., money which was invested in resources and in slaves organized to produce products en masse and more cheaply. Wealth itself produced more wealth. The means of production were controlled not by those who produced the goods, but by those who controlled the wealth, resources and the labor of others. This state of affairs had a profound effect on the dissolution of the patriarchal family phase, particularly with the development of the Industrial Revolution.

For More

Facts are that the history of "marriage" is fraught with non romantic ideals. Most married for money , convenience and social standing. So I fail to understand how two people marrying from the same sex could in any way taint the "tradition" of marriage given it's salty past.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:23 pm
Yeah, history is full of wonderful stories. So, which of those equate to marriage in America during the 21st century?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:02 pm
Separate but Equal
McGentrix wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

This question still stands for you to answer.

McGentrix:

You, Foxfyre, and others are demanding the same "separate but equal" doctrine that the Supreme Court approved in Plessy v. Ferguson back in 1896.

In those days, the whites begrudgingly recognized that blacks must legally be granted the "same effective rights" as whites--but the whites didn't want the blacks to defile their sacred ground and share what they thought was exclusively theirs. The states went wild passing "separate but equal" laws.

Blacks were allowed to drink from public water fountains--just not the same water fountains that whites drank from. Blacks were allowed to ride in public transportation cars--but just not the same ones that whites rode in. Black children were allowed to attend public schools--but just not the same ones that white children attended.

Homer Plessy, a person who was one-eighth black (seven-eighths white) was convicted of sitting in a "white only" transportation car in the State of Louisiana. He appealed his conviction to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In Plessy v. Ferguson, the majority held the following:

"That [the Separate Car Act] does not conflict with the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery . . . is too clear for argument . . . A statute which implies merely a legal distinction between the white and colored races -- a distinction which is founded in the color of the two races, and which must always exist so long as white men are distinguished from the other race by color -- has no tendency to destroy the legal equality of the two races . . . The object of the [Fourteenth A]mendment was undoubtedly to enforce the absolute equality of the two races before the law, but in the nature of things it could not have been intended to abolish distinctions based upon color, or to enforce social, as distinguished from political equality, or a commingling of the two races upon terms unsatisfactory to either."

Similarly, you find it unsatisfactory that homosexual couples should be granted the same rights of marriage as heterosexual couples. You will begrudgingly grant them "the same effective rights" as married people through a "civil union," but you don't want them defiling what you have. You want to create a distinction that keeps "them" separate from "you."

If you were making this argument in 1896, your "separate but equal" viewpoint would prevail. But, our society has progressed in the last 108 years. In 1954, the United States Supreme Court abolished the "separate but equal" doctrine as unconstitutional in Brown v. Board of Education.

For a half of a century now, our society as a whole recognizes that "separate but equal" is discrimination. People who believe they are superior (for whatever reason) are not allowed to reserve the "first class" benefits of citizenship for themselves and relegate everyone else to a "second class" status and place them in the back of the bus where they don't have to look at them.

Therefore, to answer your question, I will NOT be satisfied with treating same-sex couples as second-class citizens. Based upon our national history, I cannot understand why prejudicial treatment of others would be satisfactory to you or to anyone else.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:19 pm
Because his priest told him so, that's why.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
Re: don't they realize they are wasting time?
disenter512 wrote:
my point is they are Americans and are equal. They are making a big deal out of nothing. Really nothing.

Are they being throne (sic)in prison no. So what do they have to complain about but some Christians that hate them. we all have people that hate us so chill.

No, we (gay, lesbians, bi, transgendered) are not equal. Discrimination is legal in most places and is encountered by some on a daily basis. The Christo-Facsists will not be satisfied until a theocracy is established. Trust me, buddy, we are winning this cultural war. There will be blood in the streets before we allow your kind to win.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:37 pm
Great posts, Debra.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:39 pm
marriage facts
Redheat wrote:
Facts are that the history of "marriage" is fraught with non romantic ideals. Most married for money , convenience and social standing. So I fail to understand how two people marrying from the same sex could in any way taint the "tradition" of marriage given it's salty past.

Redheat:

You posted interesting clips on marriage facts. Here's my favorite one from a U.S. Supreme Court decision rendered in 1872:

Bradwell v. Illinois (Justice Joseph P. Bradley, concurring in majority opinion upholding a state decision to deny women the right to practice law):

"Man is, or should be, woman's protector and defender. The natural and proper timidity and delicacy which belongs to the female sex evidently unfits it for many of the occupations of civil life. The constitution of the family organization, which is founded in the divine ordinance, as well as in the nature of things, indicates the domestic sphere as that which properly belongs to the domain and functions of womanhood. The harmony, not to say identity, of interests and views which belong, or should belong, to the family institution is repugnant to the idea of a woman adopting a distinct and independent career from that of her husband. So firmly fixed was this sentiment in the founders of the common law that it became a maxim of that system of jurisprudence that a woman had no legal existence separate from her husband, who was regarded as her head and representative in the social state; and, notwithstanding some recent modifications of this civil status, many of the special rules of law flowing from and dependent upon this cardinal principle still exist in full force in most States. One of these is, that a married woman is incapable, without her husband's consent, of making contracts which shall be binding on her or him. This very incapacity was one circumstance which the Supreme Court of Illinois deemed important in rendering a married woman incompetent fully to perform the duties and trusts that belong to the office of an attorney and counselor.

"It is true that many women are unmarried and not affected by any of the duties, complications, and incapacities arising out of the married state, but these are exceptions to the general rule. The paramount destiny and mission of woman are to fulfill the noble and benign offices of wife and mother. This is the law of the Creator. And the rules of civil society must be adapted to the general constitution of things, and can not be based upon exceptional cases."

http://search.eb.com/women/pri/Q00171.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:11 pm
Those darn ol' girls . . .

Don't ever waste yer money buyin' a girl a watch . . .

there's a clock on the stove . . .
0 Replies