America is a Democracy so maybe you should hold off!?

Montana

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:03 am
What redheat said!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
Such idiocy.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:12 am
Quote:
No Redheat, they should marry legally like everybody else. In most (all?) states, the definition of marriage is one man, one woman.

So what? The states also said segragation, and slavery were right. They also denied interracial marriages and woman to vote. There were "laws" with definitions. Are you saying we should go back to orginal laws? How far back should we go fox? Back to the dawn of man? How many years? See the laws CHANGE with soceity changes. That is why the constitution is a living document it's meant to be changed to conform with the changes we go through as a nation. Either pick a year we should go back to or be ready to face the reality that just because it's "law" now doesn't mean it's right. The courts will deem it unlawful and against the constitution to deny a certain population equality. That's going to happen and you can do nothing to stop it.

Quote:
There is nothing in the law that requires the parties to love each other, give a flying fig about each other, or want to marry each other. It is a legal civil contract providing with certain requirements built in and certain benefits built in.

Exactly! a civil contract that is NOT BASED IN Religion or tradition. So where's your beef?

Quote:

It is those benefits that gay people say they want. So would a lot of same sex straight people who, for whatever reason, would like to have those benefits.

huh? Are they asking for any other benefits or different ones then what hetrosexuals all ready get?

Quote:
To refuse to compromise in this matter is nothing short of pure ideology. The extreme right should back off and allow corrections of inequities that exist.

We agree

Quote:
And the extreme left, including the militant gays, should back off and allow a national tradition of marriage to remain as it has always been for the benefit of children if for no other reason.

Benefit of the children? how so? Hetrosexuals beat, abuse and neglect children so what is your point? Hetrosexual marriage's have always been law yet we have children being used as sex slaves, thousands who are without families, millions beaten and abused. Sorry but what is it your "saving" them from if Jim and Joe are allowed to marry?

Quote:
Let everybody have the benefits. The anti-gay marriage people shut up and leave the others alone. And the others pick another word than marriage for it.

See in some ways we agree. I think there should be two choices. Marriage and Civil Unions which are avaible to gays and straights. If a couple don't want the religious conatations of "marriage" they can have a civil union. If a gay couple can find church to marry them they should beable to have a "marriage". Why not allow the PEOPLE decide which word best describes their union and let's keep our nose out of it.

Quote:
In my way of thinking, those who cannot see the value and wisdom of this have far sharper bigger axes to grind than providing equal rights for gays

I don't know what this means
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:21 am
Here in the UK, the Conservatives (the party of that name) have tried to object to equal rights of pensions, inheritance, etc. for gay couples by using the same argument "what about sisters/parents & children etc. living together but not having sex? Why don't they get the same rights?".

I agree that the line has to be drawn somewhere, which involves a degree of commitment but I think these arguments can be brought in AFTER the rights of those who happen to prefer same-sex partners...in order to provide equality under the law, irrespective of sexual preference.

Objections to same-sex legal partnerships (whether or not called "marriage"...I'm not bothered myself...though rights should be equivalent) tend to give off the smell of homophobia...which is difficult to shift!

KP
0 Replies

Sagamore

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
Once again, Redheat has the right handle on this issue. No one's feelings, sensitivities, religious beliefs or theories regarding tradition make a bit of difference here. Human rights are not subject to majority approval. If we are concerned with tradition, we need only remember that America is a country wherein the tradition used to be a tolerance for slavery, mysogyny and discrimination. But, in many senses we have overcome much of that "tradition".

The arguments from the right on this issue are silly and self-centered. You are looking for national policy to be formed on the basis of your personal comfort level with the issue. That is the last reason for continuing to discriminate against gays. Human rights are not to be determined based on your comfort level. It is simply a matter of law and equal treatment under the law.

Anti-gay groups often cite the "fact" that gays tend to be promiscuous. Still, when they want to enter into an institution that has its basis in monogamy, the right wingers whine about the Bible condemning it and how gays marrying will destroy civilization and benefit the terrorists. Grow up, righties. It's not about you.

The bottom line is that right wingers want to keep gays from marrying one another because they (the right wingers) do not approve. Tough. Nobody cares whether you like it.

The argument that gays are free to marry, so long as they marry one of the opposite sex is just stupid and unworthy. Please come up with a legal reason why they should not be allowed to marry or give it up. If your church forbids it, fine. Then don't engage in the practice. I have no problem with churches being able to refuse to marry gays. But, they have no right to foist their opinions on others who do not share the faith.

No one has presented an argument suggesting that gays do not make for strong families. There is much anecdotal evidence suggesting that they do. But, very often men and women do not make ideal spouses and parents. Yet, there is no outcry for banning heterosexual marriages.

Gays have the right to marry. Churches have the right to oppose or support gay marriage. Neither has the right to dictate to the other. By the way, can anyone tell me how allowing gay marriage would affect their own marriage negatively. I have heard this claim ad nauseum but never with an ounce of substance behind it.

Can we just let people marry who they choose and move on to important issues like the national debt, bush's mismanagement of the war and what we are all wearing to the Kerry inaugural?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
Would you be satisfied with a civil union that granted the same effective rights to homosexuals as a marriage does to heterosexuals?
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
Sagamore wrote:
Once again, Redheat has the right handle on this issue. No one's feelings, sensitivities, religious beliefs or theories regarding tradition make a bit of difference here. Human rights are not subject to majority approval. If we are concerned with tradition, we need only remember that America is a country wherein the tradition used to be a tolerance for slavery, mysogyny and discrimination. But, in many senses we have overcome much of that "tradition".

The arguments from the right on this issue are silly and self-centered. You are looking for national policy to be formed on the basis of your personal comfort level with the issue. That is the last reason for continuing to discriminate against gays. Human rights are not to be determined based on your comfort level. It is simply a matter of law and equal treatment under the law.

Anti-gay groups often cite the "fact" that gays tend to be promiscuous. Still, when they want to enter into an institution that has its basis in monogamy, the right wingers whine about the Bible condemning it and how gays marrying will destroy civilization and benefit the terrorists. Grow up, righties. It's not about you.

The bottom line is that right wingers want to keep gays from marrying one another because they (the right wingers) do not approve. Tough. Nobody cares whether you like it.

The argument that gays are free to marry, so long as they marry one of the opposite sex is just stupid and unworthy. Please come up with a legal reason why they should not be allowed to marry or give it up. If your church forbids it, fine. Then don't engage in the practice. I have no problem with churches being able to refuse to marry gays. But, they have no right to foist their opinions on others who do not share the faith.

No one has presented an argument suggesting that gays do not make for strong families. There is much anecdotal evidence suggesting that they do. But, very often men and women do not make ideal spouses and parents. Yet, there is no outcry for banning heterosexual marriages.

Gays have the right to marry. Churches have the right to oppose or support gay marriage. Neither has the right to dictate to the other. By the way, can anyone tell me how allowing gay marriage would affect their own marriage negatively. I have heard this claim ad nauseum but never with an ounce of substance behind it.

Can we just let people marry who they choose and move on to important issues like the national debt, bush's mismanagement of the war and what we are all wearing to the Kerry inaugural?

Well said was worth repeating!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:53 am
Redheat wrote:
Sagamore wrote:

Well said was worth repeating!

I agree!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
I ain't sure what the rant is about here, but i say, if they're different'n me, let's take 'em out and shoot 'em all . . .

okbye
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
Welcome, Sagamore. It's a pleasure to have another poster with reason on their side! KP
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:54 am
McGentrix wrote:
Would you be satisfied with a civil union that granted the same effective rights to homosexuals as a marriage does to heterosexuals?

This question still stands for you to answer.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
Re: don't they realize they are wasting time?
disenter512 wrote:
my point is they are Americans and are equal. They are making a big deal out of nothing. Really nothing.

Are they being throne in prison no. So what do they have to complain about but some Christians that hate them. we all have people that hate us so chill.

you seem to be the one making a big deal out of it....90% of the material I see published about gay marriage is by the anti side.....sol take a page out of your own book and leave it alone fwer Chrissakes...who cares?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:03 am
Foxfyre wrote:
There is nothing in the law that requires the parties to love each other, give a flying fig about each other, or want to marry each other. It is a legal civil contract providing with certain requirements built in and certain benefits built in..

if you (the collective you) don't want gays to marry you complain that it violates the sanctity of marriage and then turn around and say that you don't have to care about one another to marry. So much for the sacred institution of marriage.......so if two gays want to marry because they love one another it's an outrage but if a heterosexual couple want to marry even if they don't give a damn about each other it's okay?

I'm betting even Jesus would reply WTF? to that........
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
McGentrix wrote:
I feel the need to point out, once again, that gays have the exact SAME rights as hetero's do. There is no discrimination.

On paper perhaps they do, but no one here is naive to believe they are not on the receiving end of discrimination.......there is a world of difference in being entitled to something, even by law, and actually receiving it equally in the real world........
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:31 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I feel the need to point out, once again, that gays have the exact SAME rights as hetero's do. There is no discrimination.

On paper perhaps they do, but no one here is naive to believe they are not on the receiving end of discrimination.......there is a world of difference in being entitled to something, even by law, and actually receiving it equally in the real world........

So are blacks, protestants, catholics, hispanics, women, children, poles, haitians, cubans, etc., etc...

What's the point? Everyone is discriminated against one way or another.

Answer my question bear, Would you be satisfied with a civil union that granted the same effective rights to homosexuals as a marriage does to heterosexuals?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:41 am
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

So are blacks, protestants, catholics, hispanics, women, children, poles, haitians, cubans, etc., etc...

What's the point? Everyone is discriminated against one way or another.

Answer my question bear, Would you be satisfied with a civil union that granted the same effective rights to homosexuals as a marriage does to heterosexuals?

So, then, by your own statement, gays are on the receiving end of discrimination...unless they are in a separate group from "Everybody"

No I wouldn't be satisified because people like and including you would then still be walking around smugly crowing "See? We'll let them have a legal union, but marriage is only for heterosexuals and this proves it"
You've still separated them and denied them something only available to your special "straight" club.

Would you be willing to drop the word marriage as it applies to the union of heterosexuals and just call everything the union of a couple?

Whether or not God, whoever you perceive God to be is approving or disapproving of gays marrying is none of your business or mine.

I seriously doubt that I or anyone else will be approached by Jesus or any other deity on judgement day to help out or offer my opinion, and the rest of you need to get over yourselves.

"Hey Steve" "Yes Jesus?" "I've got a really full plate today judging the war monger group, can you help me out with these homos? I'm really overrun"

Ain't going to happen dude.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:55 am
*sigh* I didn't think you would.

As long as there are more catholics that gays in america, this debate will rage.

I would be all for dropping the word marriage as I have said repeatedly, but, it's your position that that is not good enough. You need to rub other peoples beliefs into the ground. For Catholics, marriage is a sacrament egaul to being baptised, and having communion. You are telling Catholics that they must believe something else now because the gays need to have special rights.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
As far as I'm concerned the Catholic Church and anyone who still supports it are the LAST people on earth who should talk about morals.

When I Church and it's leaders hide, restrict and be a party to the rape of young children over several years (that we know of) then they lose ALL ground to JUDGE ANYONE.

When a Church tries to sanatize the KILLING of people who dared speak out (The inquisition) then they LOSE ALL MORAL HIGH GROUND.

Not that religion is even relevant to this discussion.

Like I said if Marriage is the pure white word that so many want to claim it to be then lets say that NO BODY can get married unless they dip themselves in holy water and vow to cut off their right arm should they ever stray from the vows they made which encompassed this word.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:33 pm
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong and misguided as it may be.

Religion is what defines this arguement. To say it has no relevancy is rather naive. It is because of religion that we have marriage as it is and why we are even having this discussion.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
McGentrix wrote:
*sigh* I didn't think you would.

As long as there are more catholics that gays in america, this debate will rage.

I would be all for dropping the word marriage as I have said repeatedly, but, it's your position that that is not good enough. You need to rub other peoples beliefs into the ground. For Catholics, marriage is a sacrament egaul to being baptised, and having communion. You are telling Catholics that they must believe something else now because the gays need to have special rights.

the right to marry is not a "special" right just because they're gay...just like sodomizing youngsters is not the exclusive domain of Roman Catholic Priests..... :wink:

and actually dropping the word marriage altogether OR allowing the word to be used across the board for the union of two people suits me fine.....actually just everyone shutting the hell up about it is what would really suit best...the only time I think about it is when some "decent" person or politician mentions it....think if everyone took all the energy being used to address this non issue and applied it to giving just one person a hand up (not out) to become happier, more informed and more productive what could be accomplished. Of course that would be one less group for the "Good Christian Right" to feel superior too, and that wouldn't do.
0 Replies