How much fruit?

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 03:27 am
Hi.

I'm in my thirties and had surgery twice - once in 2012 and the other in 2013. Ever since then, I just have such a huge appetite that I have a hard time trying to control it. I have spoken to doctors/surgeons and they sort of just laugh saying that it's good I'm eating.

From about 2012-2014, I did have an appetite but I was able to control it way better than I can now. At the moment, I have a huge breakfast and after that, I have my cup of coffee along with some sweets. Sometimes they're pastries and sometimes it's a box of chocolates. It doesn't stop there....an hour later, I'll be munching on some crackers and then have ice cream or a Popsicle or something. When I'm home, I'll skip lunch and eat dinner around 4 pm, but when I'm out after breakfast, I'll stop by a pastry shop and have my lunch there - maybe have like 3-4 pastries with coffee. Then eat dinner around 4 pm. My home meals are quite healthy and I do eat a lot of vegetables and I think this is what may be saving me. I eat a lot of fish as well and don't eat any beef.

So, anyway, I'm trying really hard to change my ways and it's been such a hard rocky road Sad From yesterday, I started substituting all my sweets for fruit. My favorite fruits are grapefruit and kiwi.

I'm wondering how much fruit do people eat a day? For example, after dinner today, I ate an entire grapefruit. Should I have eaten the fruit in the morning? Can we eat a fruit after each meal? I'm not sure what the norm is.

ehBeth

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 05:50 am
@pennie ,
Ask your doctor to make a referral for you to see a registered dietitian.
Ragman

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 06:54 am
@pennie ,
As you were just advised, see your doctor and get a referral to a nutritionist/dietitian. Needless to say, you need to learn about portion control and how to follow a balanced diet.

FWIW, there's far too little info provided. Such as:
What does your doctor tell you about this problem?

What was your operation for? (Are you cured of whatever the operation was to fix?)
Are you overweight?
Are you taking any meditation/s - such as steroid?
Have you had some sort of emotional traumas recently?
Butrflynet

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:25 am
My dietician has 3 rules.

1. Lean protein first (fish, seafood, chicken, tofu, eggs, etc.)

2. Eat the most nutritious food available to you most of the time. (no processed or canned food, organic when possible, high quality)

3. Eat vegetables and fruit as much as you want, as often as you want. (Aim for a wide variety, not a lot of the same thing.)

Other guidelines are no dairy, no beef or pork, no flours, breads, or cereals. Quinoa, couscous, wheat berries, barley and all the other good grains are ok. Use minimal natural sweeteners, not artificial, but use as little as possible. Drink at least a half gallon of fresh water per day, preferably a whole gallon.
Butrflynet

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:28 am
The advice to see a nutritionist is good, I would also make an appt with your physician to review any medications you are taking and get some blood work done. Some of them, especially steroids, will make you very hungry and will make your body store fat. A change to your medications may help you too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:31 am
Clean out your house of all the junk food. You can't eat it if it isn't there. Stop bringing it into your house. Replace it with vegetables and fruits. Stock your frig and freezer with fresh and frozen veggies and fruits.

If you find you are addicted to fast food and can't stop yourself from going through the drive thru when you are out in the car, start locking your purse in the trunk of the car so you won't have a easy way to pay for it.

What you are dealing with is called head hunger. Your body isn't depleted of food and nutrients. In most cases, it is thirst not hunger. Drink a glass of water and wait 15 minutes. If you are still hungry, eat a piece of fruit.
0 Replies

pennie

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you, ehBeth.

I've tried asking but I don't think the doctors take me so seriously because according to them, my blood test results are normal.
0 Replies

pennie

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:42 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you, Ragman.

I've tried asking but the doctors don't take me so seriously because according to them, my blood test results are normal.

As I mentioned in my initial post, the doctors don't see a problem. When I mention it, they sort of laugh it off thinking that it's good that I have appetite.

My operation was for recital cancer stage 1 and also because I had ulcerative colitis but all of this was taken care of due to a total colectomy. No, I'm not overweight. I was a bit underweight but now have reached a pretty good weight. No medication at the moment. I was under steroid treatment about 3 years ago but it didn't really affect my hunger level, although I did eat a bit more than usual at that time. Yes, I'm pretty much cured but still need to be under a surgeon's care for another 2 years.

And yes, maybe I'm going through some sort of an emotional change or something. I haven't been wanting to associate with people lately and would rather be on my own.
0 Replies

pennie

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you, Butrflynet.

Thank you so much for all that info. I really appreciate it. And yes! I couldn't agree more. It's just hard cause as much as I know this in my head, it's so difficult to carry out. It sounds like you have a wonderful nutritionist.

And yes, processed food is really no good....but this morning, I did pretty well and had some grapes after breakfast but then I cheated by eating swear bread soon after but nothing else after that. I don't like any sweeteners so that's good. I usually just drink black coffee without sugar. I do love breads but I purchase them at this organic store so it's made with no oils and salt. I guess the flour is bad, though?

I wonder why your nutritionist recommended no dairy? So you don't have any yogurt in your diet? I hardly have any dairy but oftentimes, I go to Starbucks and get a latte but with skim milk.

Again, thanks for taking the time out to write all that out Smile
0 Replies

Jorge Gonzales

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 03:15 am
@pennie ,
I went to the Dietician for the same question. He made a diet plan for me. I think you should also need to see a Dietician.
0 Replies

AliceBROWN

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 11:16 am
@pennie ,
Your Local doctor will help you
0 Replies

Zerocoolo

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 06:17 pm
@pennie ,
fruits are better to eat in the morning
or in the afternoon
in the evening it is better not to eat
0 Replies

Shineseyal

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 03:49 am
@pennie ,
Fruits are good for the health. You can have fruits twice a day.
0 Replies

chemnorm

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:40 pm
@pennie ,
Half an hour before meals to eat better
0 Replies

Jameslogan

Tue 24 May, 2016 06:53 am
@pennie ,
You should try one of the Superfood berry drinks; it has several berries added into one powdered mix. You’d be able to feel difference once you try it.
0 Replies

mwinslow

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 05:39 pm
@pennie ,
Hi Pennie,

Fruit is good to have, but don't overdo it either. Sugar is still sugar, so if you have many servings per day, it will still cause your blood sugar level to rise and your body will produce more insulin to combat that. That is never good. I would say have a couple servings a day at most. But I would advise you to talk to a dietitian because most doctors have almost no knowledge of nutrition.
roger

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 05:46 pm
@mwinslow,
Excellent!
0 Replies

Jameslogan

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 06:07 am
@pennie ,
It’s not about how much fruit, it is about how much and what sort of nutrients your body needs which you may find out from your doctor. Then you can figure out which and how much fruits you need to intake.
0 Replies

NavidRahmani

Fri 21 Apr, 2017 06:33 am
@pennie ,
Nutritionists agree that healthy people can eat 2-3 fruits a day.
You can eat fruits throughout the day, preferably not after meals, but between meals.
When eaten in moderation, fruit provides your body with energy in the form of calories, carbohydrates and nutrients. Eating adequate amounts of fruits each day may help you avoid developing cardiovascular disease. Focus on berries, fibrous, and small fruits. Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, clementines, plums, peaches, and small apples are the kinds of fruits you should reach for first.
0 Replies

Drlalchandanilab

Wed 17 Oct, 2018 11:40 pm
@pennie ,
Though it's possible to eat healthy while eating very little or a lot of fruit, the ideal amount lies somewhere in the middle. The general recommendation for fruit and vegetable intake is at least 400 grams per day, or five servings of 80 grams (49).
0 Replies