Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:21 pm
Is there really no thread for this?

First impressions: Those asking the questions were smug, and I thought most of the questions sucked. The candidates mostly did an OK job though no one super impressed me. A lot of people were out to show that Trump is not qualified and I think they succeeded, but then I dont think that most who support him ever believed he is qualified.

This was not a debate, it was a set up for sound bites, but I was impressed that most of the candidates produced soundbites related to the questions, there was not a lot of ignoring of the questions.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 11:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Several candidates took shots at the White House’s nuclear negotiations with Iran. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said he would “terminate the deal on day one.” He also said that Iran and the Islamic State are “tied together,” a position that most Middle East experts would dispute, since Iran is sending militias into Iraq to fight the Sunni Islamic State militants.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/08/06/first-gop-presidential-debate-live-blog/

yikes...not to mention Iran is battling ISIS in Syria too, and that one is mostly Shia and one is mostly or all Sunni

Walker did not really impress. And he did a poor job of dodging the criticism of his states economy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 11:15 pm
Quote:

Just before Megyn Kelly announced that the next topic at Thursday’s Republican candidate debate would be same-sex marriage, Donald Trump shared his exasperation with the climate of political correctness that has led to a world in which it is “medieval times … as bad as it ever was in terms of the violence and the horror.” He waved his hand dismissively and declared, “We don’t have time for tone.”

Trump’s speech dripped with disdain, but it was immediately followed by a response full of humanity and kindness. Hypothetical questions about candidates’ family members have been tricky since 1988, but undaunted, Kelly turned to Ohio Gov. John Kasich and asked him, “If you had a son or daughter who was gay or lesbian, how would you explain to them your opposition to same-sex marriage?”

Without hesitating, Kasich threw up his hands in a “aw shucks” gesture and managed to sound like he was speaking from the heart:

Quote:
Well, look, I’m an old-fashioned person here, and I happen to believe in traditional marriage. But I’ve also said the court has ruled … and I said we’ll accept it. And guess what, I just went to the wedding of a friend of mine who happens to be gay. Because somebody doesn’t think the way I do doesn’t mean that I can’t care about them or I can’t love them. So, if one of my daughters happened to be that, of course I would love them, and I would accept them, because you know what, that’s what we’re taught when we have strong faith. Issues like that are planted to divide us. … We need to give everybody a chance, treat everybody with respect, and let them share in this great American dream that we have, Megyn, I’m going to love my daughters, I’m going to love them no matter what they do, because you know what? God gives me unconditional love, I’m going to give it to my family and my friends and the people around me.

Kasich’s answer was far from perfect—the phrasing “if one of my daughters happened to be that” was unfortunate, and in noting that he would love his daughters “no matter what they do,” he indicated that he thought being lesbian was something that requires forbearance. Nevertheless, his response was loving and humane, and it received the evening's biggest round of applause.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2015/08/06/gop_debate_john_kasich_was_gracious_and_humane_on_gay_marriage.html

Loudest round of applause? Damn, that really throws a monkey wrench into the story line that the R's suck.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 12:28 am
Quote:
The first question to Chris Christie was about the nine credit downgrades that New Jersey had suffered since he became its governor.

Ben Carson was reminded of his domestic-policy blunders, of his foreign-policy blunders, of a whole raft of loopy statements that raise serious questions about how well he understands the country and globe. Could he reassure voters?

And Donald Trump had to listen obediently, even meekly, as Megyn Kelly—the one woman on Fox News’s panel of three debate moderators—recited a squirm-inducing litany of his misogynistic remarks through time.

“You’ve called women you don’t like fat pigs, dogs, slobs and disgusting animals,” Kelly said, and if she was trying to hide her revulsion, she wasn’t doing an especially deft job. She recalled that Trump once told a contestant on “The Celebrity Apprentice” that “it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees.” And she wondered how he’d ever stand up to inevitable charges from Hillary Clinton that he was a carrot-haired corporal in “the war on women.”

Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, left, and Mike Huckabee during a commercial break. Credit Eric Thayer for The New York Times
This wasn’t a debate, at least not like most of those I’ve seen.

This was an inquisition

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/opinion/a-foxy-rowdy-republican-debate.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=opinion-c-col-top-region&region=opinion-c-col-top-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-top-region&_r=0

Seriously. What was Fox thinking?

And what was with all the yap from people on the Fox payroll about how everyone was great?

Quote:
When did you actually become a Republican?” Kelly said to Trump after another savage recitation, this one of his many past Democratic positions. She was his appointed slayer. She visibly relished the role.

says Bruni, who gives Fox two thumbs up.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 04:49 am
@hawkeye10,
I didn't see it. But some of the clips were entertaining.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 04:52 am
@hawkeye10,
My own take was that the guy who gave the best account of himself was Kasich but I'd be in a minority amongst pubbies. Drudge's poll shows Trump winning by a huge margin.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 08:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Didn't watch as I have no interest in Fox Presentation of this circus event. Pure theater with no substance, but I'll bet huge ratings which is all Fox cares about.

Shameful how the media is helping to destroy the political conversations in this country.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 11:35 am
@woiyo,
Quote:
Shameful how the media is helping to destroy the political conversations in this country.

Agreed, and I think what rubbed be wrong about what Fox did is that they acted like they were running a reality tv show, not acting as stewards of the public interest running a debate. Also, the alleged journalists occupied themselves trying to make themselves part of the story. Their job was to facilitate the candidates telling us who they are and what they believe, not to launch the best zingers that they could come up with.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 12:30 pm
The largely liberal media loved it, no doubt because they loved seeing the R candidates uncomfortable. I dont think that anyone who cares about fixing Washington, fixing the whole of our political system, could have loved it. The solution to what ails us is not more reality tv.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 12:52 pm
Quote:
The headline fight between Donald Trump and his nine sober-looking rivals for the GOP presidential nomination wasn't exactly pay-per-view, but it was extremely hard to watch if you do not pay for cable TV or a separate subscription to the Fox News Channel. The network offered internet streaming of the debate for people who could provide a user name and password proving they pay for cable, but that crashed pretty quickly. And Fox News was aggressive in shutting down any and all rival online streaming of the debate, including a working livestream provided by sister network Sky TV.

http://theweek.com/articles/570583/biggest-winner-first-gop-debate-fox-news--landslide

Another way the Fox proved that it was not worthy of its responsibility, perhaps did not even understand its responsibility.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I dont think that anyone who cares about fixing Washington, fixing the whole of our political system, could have loved it.

Fixing the political system would mean the elimination of the Republican party. Why would the people who are running the Republican debate want to do that?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 01:00 pm
@maxdancona,
THe R party and the D party are both almost equally negligent, and I think they both need to be replaced, but this has little to nothing to do with the show that FOX NEWS ran last night.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 01:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
I disagree Hawkeye.

The Democratic party should be considered the conservative party in the US. It works quite nicely as a center right party.

There should be a Bernie Sanders type center left party to the left of the Democratic party.

The current Republican party should be tossed onto the dustbin of history.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 01:12 pm
Hitchens 2011

America has become "sour, nasty, boring"

We saw a few candidates trying to represent the old America... open, generous, broad minded, but for damn sure that was not what FOX NEWS chose to represent.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 01:28 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There should be a Bernie Sanders type center left party to the left of the Democratic party.

THose of the Tea Party say the same thing about the R's, but what needs to happen is that we come together as a people, going further apart as we are now clearly doing is in fact traveling directly in reverse. And no, you dont get to rub out the nearly half of America that tends to be to the right of the current D party. You are giving me a fantasy of what you wish America was, not what it is. Any way forwards needs to deal with reality.

You and just about everyone else in America needs to decide that the greater good of America comes before the triumph of your petty political appetite.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 02:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
My petty political appetite happens to line up perfectly with the greater good of America.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 02:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

My petty political appetite happens to line up perfectly with the greater good of America.

If it requires you to either ignore or convert half the souls in America then it does not, which is the case.

What you suffer from is narcissism.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 04:33 pm
It was awful. It was cheap. It was theater. It was never a debate.

I'm disappointed that this is the best the GOP has to offer.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 04:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
The show was run by FOX, not the GOP. The GOP made the mistake of trusting FOX, but that is all that they can be blamed for.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 04:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
We did not tune in to listen to the FOX people alledge facts or for them to set out to skewer people. FOX completely bungled this "debate". They did not understand their place, they did not understand what was important.