Affirmative action

au1929

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:28 am
Affirmative action
The criteria used to gain the benefits of affirmative action is simply color and a Hispanic surname. It seems to me there should have been one other element applied for eligibility. That is a time line, when and how they or ancestors arrived in this nation. Affirmative action was instituted to make up for past injustices by the US. What than do we owe blacks who are recent arrivals that have come to the US of their own free will. Should they have been given preferential treatment? As for Hispanics who are for the most part relatively recent arrivals and here by choice what is our obligation? I have no argument with the concept of affirmative action, which I at this point I believe has outlived it's time, but I have always had some misgivings concerning the criteria established for eligibility. Any comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,973 • Replies: 151
No top replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:30 am
Affirmative Action is a racist policy of the left.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:44 am
To qualify under AA as a hispanic all one needs is a hispanic surname? Really? I thought they had to demonstrate some level (i.e. %) of hispanic bloodline with "X" number of generations... hmmm..

But, overall, IMO, AA got blown way out of proportion as an overall program. The original intent was to for quotas based on PROVEN cases of racism/sexism. That then got extended to "have an AA program or we'll come investigate you" to an extent and everyone adopted AA programs to avoid possible lawsuits.

That said I think there is still a need for some level of AA program. Racism, sexism, etc.. hasn't gone away and where it is institutionalized there has to be a counter.

I do believe that the overall concept ballooned into something that was never envisioned when it was first implemented.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:47 am
Jesse Jackson has made millions blackmailing large corporations with Affirmative Action.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:49 am
Fishin' & Lash Goth- Agree-At the time of its inception, A.A. was a noble attempt to right some wrongs. But it has snowballed into nothing more than another flavor of racism!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:51 am
Yes, he probably did. There are plenty of people that made millions using racist and sexist hiring policies too though. There probably aren't many people in the world that would like to see Jackson shut his mouth more than I but that doesn't mean that there isn't a small grain of truth hidden in his message.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:54 am
fishin'- True- But reasonable people don't swat flies with Uzis!
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:56 am
Our paths diverge here.

I believe Jackson is a criminal, who used AA as a tool to line his pocket. No, he's not the first guy to ever do this, nor will he be the last. But he is in that number.

And, what did he acheive? Quotas? Quotas for quotas sake is racism of a different color. There are laws against discrimination. Nobody needs a big crook to appear on the scene, like a mobster.

Geez. I got angry. Must curb anger...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:01 am
fishin'
Quote:

Really? I thought they had to demonstrate some level (i.e. %) of hispanic bloodline with "X" number of generations... hmmm..

How could anyone ever verify that. People have come from all over South america,Mexico.the Islands and etc.
That aside should a time line have been established?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:05 am
au1929 wrote:
fishin'
Quote:

Really? I thought they had to demonstrate some level (i.e. %) of hispanic bloodline with "X" number of generations... hmmm..

How could anyone ever verify that. People have come from all over South america,Mexico.the Islands and etc.

I'm thinkin' fishin' was kiddin'. He was probably sarcastically referring to the law that used percentages of bloodlines to decide if you were a black circa the Civil War.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:08 am
au1929 wrote:

Well, I know to claim "Native American" status you have to be able to prove a Native American within your ancestry with 3 generations. If I remember right the "magic number" was 12% Native American blood to qualify under Federal guidelines.

My ex was of Puerto Rican descent (both her parents were born/raised there..) and all she needed to do was bring in copies of her parents birth certificates to qualify. She did have to provide documents though. Her maiden name being hispanic wasn't enough.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:08 am
Lash Goth- Agree- Just the thought of Jackson, and how he used his power to line his pockets, and dupe his constituents, makes my blood pressure rise. The thing that gets me, is that it is so obvious, yet the coporations shiver and shake when he comes by.

To me, Jackson is no better than any cheap extortionist, only his extortion is far reaching, and you have to admit, that he does extort with panache! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:14 am
phoenix--

Nobody can take that rhymin' multisyllabically away from Jackson. He is the Grand Master Rhymer.

And, that turn of phrase:

Stay.....Out......the Bushes!

What oration! What panache!!! (Is my contempt showing?)

B/P 210/98. Gotta go to Sensual Pleasures....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:30 am
Fishin
Native Americans and their status is not in question.
If it is not too intrusive. What was it that your X was qualifying for. Should she be given preferential treatment simply because her parents were born in Puerto Rico?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:51 am
au1929 wrote:
Fishin
Native Americans and their status is not in question.
If it is not too intrusive. What was it that your X was qualifying for. Should she be given preferential treatment simply because her parents were born in Puerto Rico?

I only threw in Native Americans because it is one area where I know qualification standards exist.

My ex was applying for tuituion assistance to go to night school. The school basically had eveyone fill out teh applications and submit them and she checked the box saying she was hispanic. Then they wanted to see some proof once they reviewed the application. In her case, it didn't matter. We exceeded the income threshold so she didn't qualify anyway (which we knew was going to happen to begin with.).

Should it have mattered? Probably not in her case. She didn't have any claim that she had been discriminated against based on her ethnic heritage. I'm hestitant to throw out the entire program based on that though. There are people who are still discriminated against and they should have some avenue available to address that. That is what the original program was intened to be and what I think it should go back to being.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 12:10 pm
not wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater i offer this comment from John Bauzel expresident of San Jose State and affirmative action scholar: Acknowledging that race has too often been considered excessively and sub rosa, he rejects both of the ideologically pure extremes--namely, that anything that overcomes the disadvantages of race is acceptable and that taking race into account is never appropriate under any circumstances.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 12:15 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bush administration lawyers are laying the groundwork to oppose a University of Michigan program that gives preference to minority students, a step that would inject President Bush into the biggest affirmative action case in a generation.
How would you rule? Should there be preferential treatment for Black and Hispanic students. After 40+ years of preferential treatment when is enough, enough?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Scotus-Affirmative-Action.html?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 12:26 pm
IMO, the existsing Federal position that was espoused by the Clinton Adminstration and now apparently by Bush is the proper way to go.

I don't know of (i.e. haven't seen any claims of..) any comments that the UM Law School had been discriminating against blacks or hispanics so implementing a program that creates a criteria for acceptance to the school based on race seems out of line.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 12:31 pm
Affirmative action is and has been applied to :

ethnicity
color
religion
geographic place of origin
economic status

It is commonly applied by private schools to enrich the student body. I applaud these efforts and sincerely hope that they continue. Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 12:43 pm
Something happened! I can't seem to delete the extra post.

Thanks for the deletion of the extra posts. Razz
0 Replies