Be american!!

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:05 pm
On the paragraphs thing, I started to post a comment wishing for paragraphs and then thought I had what my aunt of yore would have called a "crust" since I don't elaborate my own political points all that coherently. Still, it would help.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:54 am
You ain't required by law to agree with the government; that's why the secrecy and the vans are essential to the SECRIT PLAN.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 06:42 am
Mysteryman said:

"The american born Tokyo Rose was practicing a form of dissent,wasnt she?
She broadcast ship movements,and then those ships were attacked by Japanese planes. Men died in those attacks."

Huh? What on earth are you talking about?

She broadcast from JAPAN!

IF she knew anything about ship movements, she only knew whatever the Japanese authorities told her.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:42 am
Nuclear ox wrote:
Please forgive the length of this post, but seesh, I have a lot to respond to.

This is in response to the first reply I received on this thread, but I tried to broaden it to cover some of the others. I will try to respond to all others, but it will take time as I work all hours.

ANGIE--No, I have no problem with dissent. However, calling your president a murderer because he made the decision (justly, in my view) to go to war is definitely something more than dissent. It does, in fact, display hatred, which liberals claim to, well, hate. A hatred, which by your measure must also be assigned to presidents Washington, Jefferson, Polk, Lincoln, McKinley, Wilson, Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy (gasp!), Johnson, Nixon, Bush 41, and yes, Clinton. While most of these men, to be sure, were spoken against because of their positions, the kind of rhetoric that the bush admin. endures is, understatedly, unprecedented.

Moreover, assigning blame to the U.S for innocent lives lost in a war is UN-AMERICAN. True, in EVERY war there are horrible mistakes, and those are sad, and intolerable, and by the way, fewer and farther between than in any war in history. (albeit more thoroughly reported) As far as "the direction" you detailed, well you are just plain wrong on many of your points.

The justification of the war in Iraq was clear, to me, before 9/11. A majority of this nation concurred (after 9/11) and still do (narrowly). The war was well planned and executed. The problem happened after the war. Did any of the dems foresee an insurgence of the magnitude with which it occurred? Did any say, "we should be ready to fight military resistance from every Middle Eastern country, while having our hands tied by an ever present and anti American press? These are ANIMALS who scream god is great while they cut off the head of a defenseless prisoner of war. Or worse yet, invoke the same god as they render innocent Iraqis into heaps of broken, lamenting humanity, all in time for the evening news.

And yes, they ARE cowards (SCoates). They are cowards because dress as Iraqi citizens, fire on coalition troops (or civilians), drop their weapons, and blend into the crowd. They hide out in and fight from positions that are occupied by women and children, often causing their death or dismemberment. THEY BRING THE CONFLICT TO THESE INNOCENT PEOPLE. editor: I agree that terrorists are cowards for these same reasons...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:18 am
Tell me,does this qualify as peaceful,legitimate dissent to anyone?

"My first concern is to protect the civil rights of the 8.1 million people that live here," Bloomberg said, after the Daily News revealed schemes by some protesters to halt trains or even force cops to evacuate Madison Square Garden.

"If people want to come here and protest, we also want to accommodate them, but nobody is going to take away the rights of our citizens to go about their business, go to school, go to work," Bloomberg said.

The mayor acknowledged there's a "variety of ways" fringe groups "can hurt this city." But the NYPD is on top of it, he said.

The devious tactics being promoted include Internet postings, revealed by The News, that explain how to use gunpowder or ammonium nitrate to fool bomb- sniffing dogs on trains."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:22 am
Oh, and i forgot to mention . . . what an incredibly stupid and invidious thread . . .
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 05:31 pm
ILZ, while I don't always agree with your opinions, I love the way they are expressed. Always very entertaining.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
I often agree with ILZ, and still understand on the occasions when I don't.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:08 pm
I can't remember a time when I've disagreed with his logic, but I still bet we have different favorite flavors of ice cream.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:40 pm
Ice cream, started, as I seem to have read, by the arabs.. or maybe that was just the ice part.
Eh, I forget, but they are in there at the beginning.

You must understand if you try to research this matter, that there are varying points of view.

In any case, in my own opinion, the height of ice cream is at a gelateria on via Uffizi Vicario in Roma, a place with its own long history, Giolitti.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:58 am
That's UN-AMERICAN!

Teehee....
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 03:41 pm
osso, I'm pretty sure I saw your picture on a bottle of Jones' Soda this morning.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:00 pm
http://www.jonessoda.com/files/turkey.html

Yeh, that was probably me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:00 pm
http://www.jonessoda.com/files/turkey.html

Yeh, that was probably me.
0 Replies