Be american!!

mysteryman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 01:21 pm
Kuvasz,
Please enlighten me.Where did I make this claim..."the 50% of the american people who are dissenting on bush and his wild west ride thru mesopotamia are aiding and abetting terrorism?"
I never said that,or anything even remotely close to it.
Also, I have NEVER called for silencing critics of or dissenters to ANY policy taken by our govt.
I even said I support dissent.
I do NOT however,support dissent that can get people killed.
I have spent enough time on here to know that many people(I dont buy that 50%,BTW) are opposed to the war in Iraq.I support your right to believe that,but I do not support anyone or anything that risks my life unneccessarily.If you want to dissent,thats fine,but dont expect me to support everything you do in protest.
During Vietnam,dissenters destroyed recruiting stations,attacked college ROTC offices,and did other things to destroy private property.
Tell me,does that qualify as legitimate dissent to you?
Before I went to Iraq,while waiting in Ca to ship out,we had dissenters try and burn down a building with our equipment stored in it,that is also illegal.Are you saying that an illegal action,if cloaked as dissent,is ok?
I dont,and will use force to stop anyone destroying private or public property,in the name of dissent.
Call me what you will,but that is my opinion,and you cannot and will not,ever convince me otherwise.
Many of the protesters I have seen,but not all,seem to use their dissent as an excuse to commit criminal acts.Do you support them also?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:20 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Nice dodge Edgar,but you didn't answer my question.
Are you saying then that the dissent by Tokyo Rose was ok during WW2?
That got marines killed in WW2.

I have not said,nor will I ever say,that dissent is wrong.BUT,it must be reasonable.
Dissent can take many forms.It can be vocal protest marches,it can be someone that destroys weapons or munitions somehow,it can be calling returning soldiers "baby killers",it can be feeding information to a third party,hoping it reaches enemy forces.
Tell me,which one of those methods are you willing to say is wrong,if any?

Honest,reasonable dissent is part of what made this country great,and I will always support that.Nut,when that dissent has the ability to get people killed,then it becomes wrong.
For you to claim that dissent has never gotten any soldiers killed is to be both blind to history and willingly ignorant of the dangers.
So,you can dissent all you want,but if it causes men to die needlessly,then I will call that exactly what it is.

Lol!

Which Tokyo Rose? Most "Tokyo Roses", (which was the name generally given by Allied troops in the Pacific to the English speaking Japanese women who broadcast propaganda to them) as I understand it, were doing exactly as you prescribe - being good citizens and supporting their country, right or wrong.

Ah - you mean the American born Tokyo Rose? Clearly, she was betraying the country she was born in - are you suggesting that those of us who are against the war are broadcasting misinformation to Allied troops in Iraq in sultry tones?

You aren't?

Well, what, then, is your analogy worth?

Nothing, I hear you say.

Good answer!

Oh - PS - HOW did the Tokyo Roses - most of whom remember were good rightly acting Japanese citizens - get "marines killed"?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 06:28 pm
dlowan wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Nice dodge Edgar,but you didn't answer my question.
Are you saying then that the dissent by Tokyo Rose was ok during WW2?
That got marines killed in WW2.

I have not said,nor will I ever say,that dissent is wrong.BUT,it must be reasonable.
Dissent can take many forms.It can be vocal protest marches,it can be someone that destroys weapons or munitions somehow,it can be calling returning soldiers "baby killers",it can be feeding information to a third party,hoping it reaches enemy forces.
Tell me,which one of those methods are you willing to say is wrong,if any?

Honest,reasonable dissent is part of what made this country great,and I will always support that.Nut,when that dissent has the ability to get people killed,then it becomes wrong.
For you to claim that dissent has never gotten any soldiers killed is to be both blind to history and willingly ignorant of the dangers.
So,you can dissent all you want,but if it causes men to die needlessly,then I will call that exactly what it is.

Lol!

Which Tokyo Rose? Most "Tokyo Roses", (which was the name generally given by Allied troops in the Pacific to the English speaking Japanese women who broadcast propaganda to them) as I understand it, were doing exactly as you prescribe - being good citizens and supporting their country, right or wrong.

Ah - you mean the American born Tokyo Rose? Clearly, she was betraying the country she was born in - are you suggesting that those of us who are against the war are broadcasting misinformation to Allied troops in Iraq in sultry tones?

You aren't?

Well, what, then, is your analogy worth?

Nothing, I hear you say.

Good answer!

Oh - PS - HOW did the Tokyo Roses - most of whom remember were good rightly acting Japanese citizens - get "marines killed"?

The
american born Tokyo Rose was practicing a form of dissent,wasnt she?
She broadcast ship movements,and then those ships were attacked by Japanese planes.Men died in those attacks.

I am NOT saying that those of you opposed to the war are doing that,but dissent is dissent.
She practiced one form,and you practice another.
Tell me,is the destruction of private property a legitimate form of dissent?
I dont believe it is.But,if you wont condemn that,then you must condone it.
That makes you no better then the ones committing the destruction.

During the invasion of Iraq,and the liberation of Kuwait,I talked to several Iraqi prisoners that said that the only reason they fought as hard as they did is because they heard and saw the reports on the news that said we wouldnt fight if we took casualties,that Iraq outnumbered us,that we would take thousands of casualties,etc.
All of those statements came from "dissenters" here in the US and Europe.
American soldiers,including 3 in my platoon died.
So,as I said,dissent all you want.If its peaceful,doesnt destroy private property,is willing to listen to the other side,and doesnt get Americans,either here or overseas killed,then I will support it.BUT,if it doesnt meet all of those criteria,then I will oppose it and call it exactly what it is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 06:54 pm
Just as I said earlier; the arguments about Tokyo Rose and American soldiers getting killed are tools the right tries disingenuously to use every time there is dissent during the increasingly uncalled for wars we seem to be getting into. They don't deserve further refuting, since they are in fact based in a ruse.
0 Replies

nuclear ox

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:00 pm
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:06 pm
man, how did I miss this thread? I have to go to work right now, and then tomorrow I have my middle school crack dealers for the Free Saddam fund breakfast meeting, but then I'll be back.

Nuclear Ox as an aside, do you by any chance collect Guns and Ammo and American Bodybuilder magazines?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:10 pm
Same questions as doglover.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:19 pm
nuclear ox,
This is good. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:21 pm
Regardless of whether your van statement is "ironic sarcasm" it is indicative of your mindset.

Some pretty backward stuff comes out of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:26 pm
It must be an old Econoline Van.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:30 pm
Oh dear that last post contains so many heaps and piles that it will take a lot of typing to carp.

Anywho, if nobody else does it sufficiently I'll try to find the time for it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:56 pm
Even if you can add something as simple as paragraphs...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:59 pm
Hmm, you are right. No paragraphs makes it seem like a daunting read.
0 Replies

nuclear ox

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:08 pm
Great signature, moishe3rd, one of my favorite movies ever. Razz

Sorry about the format, mc gentrix & craven, I was typing furiously as my wife was on me to do some stuff.

I kind of suspect that your "heaps and piles" are just beliefs that are in opposition to mine, and not factual refutations, but I cant wait to hear your reply Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:33 pm
I am speechless . . .

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

After a few rousing bars of My Country, 'Tis of Thee, i'm gonna go see if there is anything interesting to read around here . . .

okbye
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:37 pm
Setanta wrote:
After a few rousing bars of My Country, 'Tis of Thee...

Betcha ya meant "stirring rendition" of "Beasts of England".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:38 pm
nuclear ox wrote:

I kind of suspect that your "heaps and piles" are just beliefs that are in opposition to mine, and not factual refutations, but I cant wait to hear your reply Very Happy

A difference in belief is inevitable in any such disagreement, even if only taking up opposite sides of a belief on whether or not certain portions constitute "heaps and piles".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:39 pm
i oughta be stirrin' somethin' . . . had i not forsworn strong drink, it would likely be martinis . . . this site it wacko central today . . .
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:55 pm
Can someone show me where in the constitution it states I am required to agree with everything the President or other politicians or the military says is true or right. I have seen the part that says I have the legal right to disagree with my government as much as I care too.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:03 pm
Nope Rabel, nor has anybody in this thread or at any time on A2K said you are required to agree with anybody so far as I know.
0 Replies