Children made to dig own graves

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:30 pm
Quote:
Affidavit: Children made to dig own graves
Friday, July 9, 2004 Posted: 9:22 AM EDT (1322 GMT)

TRENTON, Tennessee (AP) -- A couple facing criminal abuse charges forced some of their 18 foster, adopted and biological children -- many of them disabled -- to dig their own graves, warning the youngsters they could be killed and nobody would care, according to investigative documents.

A search warrant affidavit released in the case against Thomas and Debra Schmitz also alleges that the children were beaten, locked in a cage and punished by having their eyeglasses, leg braces or crutches taken away.

A home care nurse told authorities the "children were forced to dig their own graves" and told by the couple "they could be killed and buried in the back yard and no one will care," according to the affidavit.

The nurse said she saw two children, ages 8 and 10, forced to sleep in a locked metal cage without a mattress or blankets. The youngsters were "curled in a fetal position in the cage," the affidavit said.

Complete CNN Story Here

Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,356 • Replies: 33
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:33 pm
Thomas and Debra Schmitz - go to Jail - do not pass Go! Give them long sentences.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:53 pm
I hope the graves are big enough for the foster parents--although I don't care if the foster parents are shaped to fit the graves.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:00 pm
I hope they throw away the key!!! It makes me wonder why some people have children.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:15 pm
Maybe some anti-abortionists will adopt those children.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:17 pm
Oh, my God, fishin'! The thing that got to me was looking at the faces of those children. All I can think about is the smiles on some, and the stoic look on others.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:21 pm
What's incredible to me is that there were fostered and adopted children in the mix. Therefore, Social Services must have checked out the family in advance, probably several times. And there were home care nurses - the article says 3 of them mentioned abuse. Huh? Why wasn't this investigated the first time it was reported? What is it, a three strikes rule? Gawd.

Looking at other news stories (just type schmitz tom debbie into Google and you'll get a bunch), it seems about a year ago they were profiled as being lovely, religious people with a call to care for special needs children. Here's an older news story: http://www.oakridger.com/stories/051403/stt_20030514011.html

What the hell happened here??!??!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:23 pm
PS See: story

It says that the family moved to Tennessee 4 years ago after the parents were accused of abuse in Wisconsin.

9 of the kids are adopted, 1 is in the process of being adopted, 1 is biological, and no one knows what the status is of the other 7.

<fixed - ya happy now, joe? PS making baby Jesus cry doesn't faze me. Read mah profile. :-D>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:31 pm
deleted
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:31 pm
Jespah: long url's stretch our screens and make baby Jesus cry.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:33 pm
I assumed it was a money racket, but wasn't sure since a lot of the children had been adopted, which would cut off the foster care funds, but then when I read Jespah's link stating that most of them were special needs children and they were collecting SSI for those children, I'm convinced that it was all about the money.

Poor kids :-(
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:34 pm
My screen didn't stretch.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:50 pm
Nor mine, Montana, but it appears obvious that the "care-takers", I won't call them parents, had a scheme going and together created one psychotic personality, rather like the two in Capote's In Cold Blood.

Social Services must be a horrible profession, both emotionally and physically. Sigh!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:55 pm
That such monsters were allowed to be in charge of more than a dozen children is as incredible as it is sickening. Perhaps this has quite a lot to do with the lack of adequate foster parents... Neutral.

0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:04 pm
Â…and the great news is that the children will no longer have to live with the likes of these two incredibly abusive pieces of scum.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:51 pm
You're right, Color. We can only hope that there are not many others out there who are like them, 'caring' for children.

0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:08 pm
Even with as much respect as I have for our legal system this is one case where I'd just assume by-pass it and drag these two out behind a building and beat them both to death. I won't but boy oh boy... I'd love to.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
I'll second that Fishin!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:45 pm
Look everyone! I am agreeing with Montana!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:54 pm
Oh my God!!!! Did hell freeze over, lol!
0 Replies