Children made to dig own graves

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:56 pm
Seriously folks, I think that there are some issues that supercede ideology.

fishin'- tell me when you are going, and I will join you. I would like to get a few kicks and punches in!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:03 pm
Montana -- Maybe you should do like Slappy did and add this to your signature...

"Look, everyone! I am agreeing with Montana!!" -- McGentrix
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
:-D
0 Replies

abryant

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:05 pm
I can't believe people could do that to children, especially disabled ones. My brother is disabled, and if anyone ever abused him I would have to restrain myself from killing them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 04:41 am
Yeah, I think you're right, Montana, it probably was all about the money. Then again, every time I read allegedly heartwarming stories about people with loads and loads of foster and adoptive kids, I always wonder what the hell the motivation is. If it isn't money, and sorry, I guess I'm just a cynic, but I don't see where love and affection have much to do with it. After all, once you pass the dozen mark, doesn't individual attention go out the window? Heck, it's probably gone by the time you hit the half-dozen mark. So what is it after that? Shouldn't Social Services just plain not allow this?

I bet fishin' is right, that it has a lot to do with the lack of adequate foster families - and probably also to do with the lack of adequate Social Services investigators.

Horrible all around, I mean, how are problems like this prevented? More money? I suppose. More staff at Social Services? Yeah, if they can be found and trained. More foster families? Sure, if they can be found and trained. That's a lot of ifs and this is something that shouldn't be built on a foundation of so many conditionals.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 05:13 am
Quote:
Maybe some anti-abortionists will adopt those children.

Sadly, stories like these are not uncommon. This one happens to be more dramatic, because of the number of children involved.

The irrationality of it all never ceases to amaze me. There are people who are hell bent on criminalizing abortions. Yet you hear of so many cases of unwanted children being born, being supported by the state, supervised by inadequate social service systems, and abused by foster "parents" who are more interested in the money than the children themselves.

Then you have the children growing up in highly dysfunctional situations, only to repeat the cycle of poverty, out of wedlock children, and more dysfunctional human beings, in the next generation.

This is one of the reasons why I get so angry at people who are against abortion. Maybe, as McGentrix postulates, if the anti-abortionists were all obliged to raise an unwanted child, they might look at the situation in a different light!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 05:45 am
One of my best friends is an ex-practicing pscycologist who used to do court appointed evaluations of parents in custody cases, and a lot of work with the court system in general.

It is his theory that there have always been a LOT of people with tendencies like these running around but in years past when the courts and the punishments were much harsher and the fear of the public at large greater, they were restrained by fear of retribution, which is no longer such a big concern.

I believe I agree. Unfortunately these people walk on technicalities or serve short sentences or go to mental health facilities while thousands of people do years of hard time for pot. Rolling Eyes Mad .

I am a firm believer in doing as you please IF it harms no one, but I think anyone who harms a child, or any person not mentally capable either through lack of maturity or disability of making a consensual decision, should be dealt with in the harshest and swiftest way possible.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 06:21 am
It's difficult to fathom how this couple got to foster no less than 12 children (!) without the authorities cottoning on that something wasn't quite "right". No reports from neighbours? No signs of abuse when they checked on the children? Amazing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 06:58 am
I'm glad to see the unusually large percentage of death penalty supporters on this case. I concur... FRY the BASTARDS!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
Well, although I'm against death penalty, I would never suggest to fry the supporters of it.

My father, btw, was made to dig his own grave, too, as an young adult, and under very different circumstances: on April 2, 1945 by US-soldiers, and additionally they aimed with maschine guns at him, after he had to kneel in front of the whole.
It was on his second day as POW, and he had, being an army surgeon, a non-combatant status.

I agree completely with msolga's reply: there must be something wrong in the system, I suppose.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:39 am
I can't help wondering..........................
where do you suppose these two people, able to do such things came from?
we are to quick to despise the perceived evil in others, without recognizing that it is born in the same environment which we share with them.
what went through these two minds, allowing them to abuse these children, and continue to eat, and sleep, and carry on in such a manner that they went unnoticed?
what kind of lives have they experienced, leading to this?
what agony where/are they in?
punishment is meaningless - it only serves our rage, and our guilt, at letting this happen.
evil does not just 'occur'; it must be born, nurtured, and pressured to surface.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:17 am
BoGoWo wrote:
I can't help wondering..........................
where do you suppose these two people, able to do such things came from?
we are to quick to despise the perceived evil in others, without recognizing that it is born in the same environment which we share with them.
what went through these two minds, allowing them to abuse these children, and continue to eat, and sleep, and carry on in such a manner that they went unnoticed?
what kind of lives have they experienced, leading to this?
what agony where/are they in?
punishment is meaningless - it only serves our rage, and our guilt, at letting this happen.
evil does not just 'occur'; it must be born, nurtured, and pressured to surface.

I really don't think this type of evil can be accurately predicted. Trying to is certainly a noble effort that I'm sure would yield some positive results. However, since we can't immunize; I vote for a permanent cure. You asked;
Quote:
what went through these two minds, allowing them to abuse these children
I can only answer what should go through these two minds. Idea

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photofile-c/tomato-1.jpg
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:59 am
a bit radical for a demonstrably caring person but we all understand the "stress" ( Laughing) you are under!

seriously you are right, of course, but the questions remain, with an eerie smell emanating from them!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:53 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
My father, btw, was made to dig his own grave, too, as an young adult, and under very different circumstances: on April 2, 1945 by US-soldiers, and additionally they aimed with maschine guns at him, after he had to kneel in front of the whole.
It was on his second day as POW, and he had, being an army surgeon, a non-combatant status.

Terrible, Walter. Sadly,some things ( like hoe POWs are treated) don't change. Sad
0 Replies