WIND AND WATER

George

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
Not to quibble farmerman, but the U.S.S. Constitution Museum is in my
beloved Commonwealth of Massachusetts (God bless her!).
oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 07:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Made it better, more interesting? No, you've just trashed it, you arrogant son of a bitch.

This is silly. All I've done is provide pertinent and interesting facts.

Because of my post, your thread is now a source of accurate historical information about the first true frigate.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:33 pm
almost time for my favourite week in my hometown

http://kingstonlaserworlds2015.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_4018.jpg-small.jpg

CORK!

(Canadian Olympic Regatta Kingston)

I worked as a hostess on the Olympic sailing site in Kingston back in 1976. Loved those Swedish sailors Embarrassed Somewhere I've still got an invitation from the then-mayor of Tallinn to visit. He was there with a team watching the games as the sailing Olympics were going to be there in the next round.
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 01:50 am
@oralloy,
Bullshit.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 01:58 am
@ehBeth,
They've just had a big America's Cup celebration/event in Portsmouth. The next big race will be against America, (the holders) and one other from a host of qualifying rounds (Portsmouth being one.)

It didn't go too well, on Friday and Sunday it pissed it down

Quote:
Portsmouth "made history" in staging the The America's Cup World Series, the city council leader has said, despite criticism from some spectators.

Racing was cancelled and the public viewing areas evacuated due to bad weather on Sunday.

There was criticism on social media over spectator provision and the refund policy of a cancelled concert.

The abandonment on Sunday meant the Land Rover BAR Racing team secured the overall victory across the weekend

Leader of the city council, Donna Jones, said there would be a "detailed analysis of the event".

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were among those disappointed as racing was abandoned on Sunday.

Many spectators took to the organisers' Facebook page to complain about prices, viewing, toilet provision and catering.

Paul Dornan described the £45 Fanzone entry fee as "a lot for what you got".

Seafront attractions, including the Blue Reef Aquarium, blamed the event for a drop in trade.

Manager Lindsay Holloway said there had been "miscommunication and frankly poor management" by the organisers.

A spokesman for Team Origin Events said the Fanzone area was located directly in front of the racing and "enabled access to the free waterfront festival arena and the specific kids area".

He said: "We have set out from the start to engage with the existing seafront attractions to ensure that everyone benefited from this event."
Local boat tours owner Mark Askey also said takings were "down 70%" on the same week last year.

"It was a big deterrent for us and numerous other small businesses," he said.

Record-breaking yachtsman Sir Robin Knox-Johnston said: "It was the right decision to cancel racing - but the real tragedy is Portsmouth built up so hard, but it has lost out on this big event."

On Friday, ticket holders to a cancelled South Coast proms concert were offered a refund plus free entry to Saturday's pop concert, angering people who had paid up to £48 for tickets for Saturday's show.

Organisers said the free tickets were a "gesture of goodwill".

Ms Jones said: "We need to remember this is the first time since 1861 this cup has been back on British soil, so regardless of what happens in the future, we've created history this weekend."

Organisers Team Origin said Fanzone Arena and Grandstand ticket holders would be refunded.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=land+rover+bar+sailing
Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 04:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Thanks for trashing my thread, asshole. You're never wrong, are you, asshole?

Made it better, more interesting? No, you've just trashed it, you arrogant son of a bitch.

Hasn't affected me. The Ignore button my friends. It truly is a source of freedom
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:13 am
@izzythepush,
So no one challenged the design?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:18 am
@Setanta,
It is weird looking I'll give you that.

http://www.steve-edge.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/team-gb-americas-cup-boat-branding-land-rover-bar-1-1180x1343.jpg

Proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it qualifies and beats America nobody will dare speak out against the design. If not I expect it will be rent asunder.
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:18 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
Hasn't affected me. The Ignore button my friends. It truly is a source of freedom

Most people don't share your rabid aversion to accurate facts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:22 am
@George,
most deeply apologize.Have dishonored my noble family I will now make semi perfect act of contrition.
I was thinking Chas W Morgan. Whaling museum in Bedford, while .Chas W Morgan in Mystic
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:22 am
@izzythepush,
Very likely . . . that works in endeavors of every stripe . . .
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:33 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

This 'new' frigate, meaning a medium size warship capable of sustained independent operation and powerful enough to take on any warship other than a ship of the line,

emphasis on "NEW"???? . Youre now talking about the subsequent evolution of the term , not from where it originated . Youre reaching.

Think people will notice your"Slight of hand"??

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:35 am
@Setanta,
A painting of a Téméraire class 74 gun ship:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Mb-vista-montblanc-min.jpg

A photograph of a Téméraire class 74 gun ship:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Ville_de_Marseille-F_Roux-img_3166.jpg

Two museum scale models of Téméraire class 74 gun ships:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/French_ship_Duquesne_mg_5192.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Achille_mp3h9307.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:46 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
emphasis on "NEW"????

Yes. You guys were having trouble figuring out that by the height of the age of sail, the term "frigate" had evolved into something different from its ancient meaning.

farmerman wrote:
Youre now talking about the subsequent evolution of the term, not from where it originated.

I was always talking about the subsequent evolution of the term, not from where it originated.

farmerman wrote:
Youre reaching.

No, I'm just pointing out historically accurate facts. It's amazing how many people dislike it when historically accurate facts are posted.

I shall never be ashamed of telling the truth though.

farmerman wrote:
Think people will notice your"Slight of hand"??

Maybe if they are experiencing hallucinations. I wouldn't expect most people to notice something that doesn't exist.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:47 am
@Setanta,
Having said that Ben Ainslie will end up smelling of roses regardless of what happens. He's like a living god in these parts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:01 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Yes. You guys were having trouble figuring out that by the height of the age of sail, the term "frigate" had evolved into something different from its ancient meaning.
And do you know that a "guitara" was a musical instrument before it became a kitchen appliance used to cut pasta??

I believe you were initially trying to argue about "origins" not "evolution"
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:15 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
And do you know that a "guitara" was a musical instrument before it became a kitchen appliance used to cut pasta??

I am not familiar with such a device.

farmerman wrote:
I believe you were initially trying to argue about "origins" not "evolution"

I was initially referring to the term "frigate" as the term applied at the height of the age of sail -- in other words, the evolved definition.

As this design is the type of warship that most often strikes the public's fancy, there is some degree of historical interest in its origin and evolution.

I provided solid proof that the first example of such a design existed decades before most of the world's experts say it did.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:18 am
@farmerman,
A very interesting article: The undiscovered origin of frigate.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:23 am
@oralloy,
And what's the reason that you posted pics of French third-rate ships of line?
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
And what's the reason that you posted pics of French third-rate ships of line?

They were wonderful ships.
0 Replies