Learning Italian: I need help!

Raphillon

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:25 am
ossobuco wrote:
Grazie, Giuseppe!

E' molto tranquillo qui adesso che Kickycan visita la citta' di Roma.

Oh, Kickycan è a Roma? Da quando?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:51 am
Grazie mille Raphilion!
Crepi il lupo. (that's how you answer in bocca al lupo, right?)

Ho solo un dubbio, per ché non si contracta (?) 'da una voce"?

Anche canterò Amore Impossibile di Tiromancino. Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:57 am
Raphillon wrote:
[Oh, Kickycan è a Roma? Da quando?

Guarda qui :kickycan
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:41 am
JoeFX wrote:
Grazie mille Raphilion!
Crepi il lupo. (that's how you answer in bocca al lupo, right?)

Ho solo un dubbio, per ché non si contracta (?) 'da una voce"?

Anche canterò Amore Impossibile di Tiromancino. Smile

Yes, it is the right answer :wink:

Non si contrae perchè la particella "da" non lo fa mai. Quando incontri d' vuol sempre dire "di"

Per esempio:

Vado a casa d'Ernesto
(Vado a casa di Ernesto)

Vado da Ernesto
(you never say "vado d'Ernesto")

Do you like Tiromancino?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:42 am
Francis wrote:
Raphillon wrote:
[Oh, Kickycan è a Roma? Da quando?

Guarda qui :kickycan

Grazie, Francis. Peccato averlo saputo così tardi: si poteva organizzare un incontro... Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:31 am
Mi dispiace, Raphillon; ho avuto piante di menzionare la possibilita' prima, ma ho dimenticato mentre ho (postato).

Kickycan took his parents on a trip to Venice, Florence, Rome, and Amalfi. He left on 27 May and will return pretty soon.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
ossobuco wrote:
Mi dispiace, Raphillon; ho avuto piante di menzionare la possibilita' prima, ma ho dimenticato mentre ho (postato).

Kickycan took his parents on a trip to Venice, Florence, Rome, and Amalfi. He left on 27 May and will return pretty soon.

Pazienza, sarà per la prossima volta Smile

I should have been more careful, but I'm sure Kickycan will enjoy his trip anyway. :wink:

Well, as we say...
Inutile piangere sul latte versato.

And if he will remember to throw a coin in fontana di Trevi there will be a next time, after all... :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:05 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:15 am
"La leggenda dice che se un turista lancia una moneta nella fontana di Trevi voltato di spalle ritornera' di sicuro a visitare la citta' eterna"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:22 am
Mi piace a vistare la fontana di Trevi (nella) mattina prima di le (delle?) turiste apparirono en masse.

I know en masse is wrong...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:27 am
Le turiste sono simile a un gruppo dei elefanti infantili...
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
ossobuco wrote:
Mi piace a vistare la fontana di Trevi (nella) mattina prima di le (delle?) turiste apparirono en masse.

Mi piace vistare la fontana di Trevi la mattina, prima che i turisti appaiano in massa

(I hope you don't mind the correction Smile )

I understand. Many places in Rome are so full that you can't really enjoy them... I really like to walk through the center of the city when there are just few people, during winter or, better, by night. To park the car nearby Torre Argentina and then walk to trastevere through Corso Vittorio Emanuele or to visit the many beautyful places that are not full with tourist, like San Giovanni in Laterano, San Paolo fuori le mura, Santa Prassede, the ruins of Ostia antica and so on... There are so many ancient and beautyful churches you won't believe it! I think there are more then 50 older than a millennium. I often go to Santa maria in cosmedin for example. Many tourists don't even know the name of this little masterpiece. There is always an everlasting line of people waiting to take a photo of the "bocca della verità" nobody enters the church itself.... well actually it is 1200 years old. there's such an atmosphere inside the floor is still original as well as the few remains of the frescoes inside....

Well, I better stop here. I could just go on forever... I really love Rome, I've been here for 35 years and I'm still not tired of it Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:03 am
Penso che ho bisogno di trenta cinque anni a imparare molti angoli della citta'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:04 am
I've been in Rome in early March and liked it then a great deal.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:37 am
Next time you come tell me: I will be glad to show you some places where you will find few tourists, but many beautyful things :wink:

Uhm... let me search some photoes....

San paolo fuori le mura. This church is really majestic... but it is near to no other touristic place so it is also calm and peaceful Smile and it is huge!
http://roma.katolsk.no/img/paolofuori_facade1.JPG

San giovanni in laterano. This is really ancient, was build under Costantinus, 4th century AC
http://toon.heindl-internet.de/rom/b800/4A230135-rom-san-giovanni%20-in-laterano.jpg

Santa maria in cosmedin. I really like this small and beautyful church
http://www.greengrape.net/2000_romanesque/27_santa_maria_in_cosmedin.JPG

Santa Prassede
http://www.minis.ch/images/rom/rom173.jpg

And if any of you likes Italian food.... well I do know one place or two :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:56 am
Raphillon, I will definitely let you know. I am hoping to get there next year.

I have seen San Paolo fuori le mura, isn't that where the Michelangelo Moses is? Have seen San Giovanni in laterano - that's where my then-husband and I were approached by an elderly tourist gentleman seeking help because his wife's purse was taken, and we gave him 10,000 lire, and then, and then, too late, we figured out it was a scam. It was also right near S.G. in laterano that we fell for the barista's desire for an american dollar to put on the wall. (This is hard for me to fathom all this time later).

I have not, sad to say, been inside Sta. Maria in cosmedin. On the other hand, I haven't stood in that line either.

Have not been in Santa Prasside (thinking - I might know where it is though).

There's a small old church right off of via Giulia, starts with an E... that has always been closed when I've walked by..

I mix up a lot of church interiors in my memory, but some are quite distinct, such as Sant'Ivo, San Carlo Borromeo, Sant'Andrea del Quirinale, Sta Maria de Sopra Minerva, Santa Maria del Populo, San Clemente...
that sounds as if I've been to a lot, and I have been to more than that (San Agostino, San Luigi Francese, Sta Maria in Trastevere...) but I know it is just a drop in the bucket...
and I would love to see some of those again. (I am not religious, I just like the spaces now.)

Food - oh, oh, oh!!!!

Tell us about some good restaurants (and we won't tell any other travelers...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:05 am
On the churches, I remember being inside S.G. in laterano and not just the tourist scams.. that was designed by Borromini, wasn't it? his work is very strong, to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:10 am
Ah, I see it was done primarily by Fontana.

Here's an interior view - http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/images/conway/31e626d8.html
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:56 am
Sorry for the delay... I'm back online, now Smile

Michelangelo's Moses is in San pietro in vincoli, actually, very close to the coliseum. Moses is impressive, isn't it?

San Clemente is really unique. It was originally build in 4th century and then destroued and rebuild twice, so it is actually a complex of 3 churches one up another, really fascinating.... on the other hand about all the churches you mention are unique one way or another Smile

San Giovanni is quite particular, also. It was build in 4th century by order of Constantinus, but since it was the main church of Rome until San pietro (16th century) almost any Pope did something to improve it. Inside you will find masterpieces for a 1300 years long period....

About restaurant... ok.

There is a small one very close to the "parco dell'appia antica" (Which is where the tomb of Cecilia metella is) The restaurant's name is "la caraffa" The address is "via della caffarella" I'm sorry I don't remember the number. It is a small one, but they cook an Excelent fish and it is also reasonably cheap, 30-35 dollars to fill your stomach near at blasting status...

If you want to eat a very good pizza I will suggest the restaurant "Da Ciro", via della mercede, 43. It is close to fontana di trevi, but it is in a small street. It is the best pizza I've eaten in Rome, so far. If you go there I suggest you to taste the "mozzarella di bufala campana". They don't cook it. they bring it just as it is and belive me: it's really worth while.

If you want traditional Roman food, like Abbacchio, Cacio e pepe, penne all'arrabbiata and so on... go to trastevere. There are many good restaurant, there. One I've been recently is in piazza trilussa. I'm sorry I don't remember it's name, but you can't miss it: it is the only one in the square...

E, naturalmente... Buon appetito :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 12:07 pm
Raphillon, I am just about to get offline, just caught your post.

Ah, I hadn't recognized the facade of San Paulo fuori le mura... it reminds me slightly - because of the facade - of the church in Trastevere with the wise and foolish virgins, Sta Maria.

Pizza, I have loved pizza in Rome. (Perhaps we can meet for pizza?) I liked the pizza vesuviano at pizzeria archetto, or a name like that, also near Trevi fountain, but I went back there another time and didn't like the pizza as well.
Then I've liked the pizza with mozzarella, gorgonzola, and walnuts at caffe foccaccia, right in front of Sta M. della Pace (which was closed at the time...). Ok, da Ciro, I'm memorizing.

Haven't had abbacchio in Rome...
0 Replies