American history: is this true?

Foofie

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 07:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Miller, you are the most shameless liar. You read that the other day? Where, what book, who was the author? Liar.

Well, here's some more recent analysis.

http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=21448

Note the last paragraph, after you scroll down.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:37 am
So you did a web search until you found some yokel who wrote something yuou think can pass? Where's the 500 years of conflict, Miller, you disgusting liar? Your "source" doesn't list a single source for his/her claims. Just like you.

Liar
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:40 am
For a discussion of the unreliability of the Goenlendinga Saga, see Mowat, op cit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:45 am
For some basic groundwork here, anyone who refers to the Norse as "Vikings," is not a reliable source. Anyone who doesn't distinguish between Greenland and North America is not a reliable source. The people who made the sagas, before they had even been written down suffered no confusion between "Vikings" and the Norse. The people who made the sagas wouldn't have known North America if it had bitten in the ass--but they knew about Greenland, and that the skraelings didn't arrive there until long after the Norse had returned from the futile search for Leif's Vinland.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 09:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So you did a web search until you found some yokel who wrote something yuou think can pass? Where's the 500 years of conflict, Miller, you disgusting liar? Your "source" doesn't list a single source for his/her claims. Just like you.

Liar

"Pass" you say? Did you get a promotion? "Disgusting liar"? What am I telling an untruth about? You just seem to be giving more credence to your sources, unless of course you lived back then, and was there.

What gives you the right to officiate over sources? Or, is that a rhetorical question, based on the pecking order maintained on this forum?
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:16 pm
@Foofie,
You said you had read a book the other day (which means recently), but when challenged you come up with that high school term paper bullshit, and not a citation of the author and title. So, as far as i'm concerned, when you claim to have read a book on this topic, you're a disgusting liar. Which is no news to anyone here. I cited my sources, there's no pecking order in expecting others to do the same. Now i suppose you're going to join the "clique" whiners. You're an idiot, Miller.
Foofie

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 04:04 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You said you had read a book the other day (which means recently), but when challenged you come up with that high school term paper bullshit, and not a citation of the author and title. So, as far as i'm concerned, when you claim to have read a book on this topic, you're a disgusting liar. Which is no news to anyone here. I cited my sources, there's no pecking order in expecting others to do the same. Now i suppose you're going to join the "clique" whiners. You're an idiot, Miller.

Not "the other day," so here's what I wrote a page back:
I did read years ago that the Norse (aka, Vikings) had a colony in Newfoundland (aka, Vineland) that lasted for 500 years. Just when the Spanish were building forts along the Pacific coast, the Norse were abandoning the colony they held for 500 years that was dedicated to fur trapping. The Norse did not get along with the natives, and supposedly had a massacre of a native village, while the men were out hunting. That resulted in an all out effort to mete out retribution to the Norse. The colony was not that profitable, so they just left at that point. It wasn't really a war. It was more like continual harrassment by the natives? The colony was made up of all males that shared in the profits, and paid a Norse woman to do the domestic chores. It was a co-operative business venture of sorts. At least this was one authors perception.

I wrote "years ago." And, it might not have been a book, but in a magazine that had an article about the Vineland colony? Who knows what the source was; I'm constantly reading trying to stay ahead of all the f*ckers that think they are so smart. It might be in my genes?
0 Replies