HELP! I'm still in love with him and I think it was bad timing...

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 11:53 pm
We will start with a little back ground and then dive into my true question.
So, many moons ago (ok like 7 years), back in college I started a relationship with an amazing man. Funny, compassionate, loving, handsome, genuine; we enjoyed all the same things and truly clicked. (He feels the same about how much we are a perfect fit) Over our time together we bought a house, took trips, developed mutual friendships, etc. We were compatible on every level (Lifestyle, sexual, emotional, dreams, 5-star Astrology match) except that I thought I was ready for everything and he was ready to experience life and finish college. After a year and a half of living together when I realized he had no intentions of a marriage or kids in the near future, I got impatient. I felt I would be waiting forever, holding back my dreams of a family and ended the relationship. We each moved on and over time came to terms with the past. We remained friends/friendly and then lost touch for a few years.

Since then we have both been in other relationship, myself two long terms that were dead ends and him a dozen randoms that he says never measured up to me. I also find myself comparing everyone to him and DQ relationships because I don't think the man is as good as he was. He set the bar very high and I honestly haven't found anyone who even comes close; Different and good in their own way, but never as much of a match as he was.

Today I find myself single and happy. I'm enjoying life amidst developing my work, self educating through books and travel; I am truly enthusiastic about life except one thing... I'm not married or a mother or any of the things 19yr old me had in mind. He is also single and has finished school, has a career and has done a lot of growing up (I think). We just reconnected and talk/text occasionally. Everytime we talk he mentions "Why can't I find someone who is this or who is that... you know, like you" and I know he isn't just saying this to attract me because he's done it over years of dating troubles.

Looking back, it was the best relationship I've ever had, happiest times of my life and I feel like we just had bad timing the first time we tried it out. We were too young and both needed to grow before we could fully commit long term. I believe we have now done our growing and he's currently looking for something real and wishes he had the type of thing we had (house, loving relationship, mutual friends, responsible life). I think we would be AMAZING together, but now we live in different states and have completely different schedules/lives. Although when we talk its just like old times and feels natural, there are still many things we have to re-learn about each other to be sure it could work. Many things have changed on the surface, but so much seems to be the same at the fundamental level where true compatibility lyes.

Should I just get on with my life and try to forget about him when years and years later after other relationships I still think about him regularly and compare men to his qualities and level of compatibility?
How do I know if he's serious or just reminiscing?
Is it a bad idea to try something again and potentially ruin a good friendship?
Is the distance a factor or do I follow my heart?
Should I try to pursue him or just see what happens?

Thank you in advance for your words of advice and experience!

Krumple

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:23 am
@TheAmbitiousBlonde,
So taking a few bits of information you have given I am assuming you are 26 or 27. I find it a bit ironic that you left the relationship because you wanted more and felt he wasn't ready. So you thought he was so great yet were willing to forget all of that because he wasn't ready for what you wanted. A bit selfish maybe but that also meant that you were thinking you'll find what you want from someone else. But your current status has proven you wrong and now you are thinking he is the ideal person. However; there are a few minor things that are preventing it from happening? But it seems odd to me that if he thought you were as great as you think he is, why isn't he attempting to get back together with you? If he really wanted you back, shouldn't he be discussing a way to solve these problems with you?
Sophia yang

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 03:34 am
@Krumple,
Time will cure everything .Believe me ,don't think it too much,you never want to give up the feeling ,but the feeling has already gone.I have given up a relationship about seven years,no matter how despair i was,but i am happy now,with my husband and my baby.Just carry on to get the life you want .
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 07:25 am
@TheAmbitiousBlonde,
If he is so all-fired perfect, then you should be able to talk to him about anything.

I bet you won't. And I bet I know why. You not only don't want to be hurt, it's also that you're finding you kind of like your current life. It may also be that you don't want to put yourself out there and deal with guys who are available to you (seeing as you sabotaged yourself twice already with what you called dead end relationships, this might be it in a nutshell).

BTW, spoiler alert, it's okay to not want at age 27 or so what you did at age 19. It's called growing up.

Doesn't mean you will never marry, have children, etc. But those things might not be looming quite so large to you right now.

You two need to have what they call at work a 'come to Jesus' meeting. That is, everyone's got to get on the same page before you can move forward.

So you need to ask - what's going on with us? Are we on the road to getting back together? Or are we good friends forever?

But don't let him decide on the course of your life. Do not give him that power, as you can grow to resent that. Just ask him what he thinks is going on. And decide accordingly. But right now, you're in fantasy land where you get to encase the relationship in concrete (or carbomite, if you're a Star Wars fan) and admire it from afar and call it perfect.

That's the kind of museum piece that keeps people from putting themselves out there and looking for someone new.
0 Replies