THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:45 am
""This is a lickspittle Republican committee, acting on the wishes of George W. Bush," Galloway said."
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:33 am
LOL. I knew that would be the line first quoted.

Poor, misunderstood Euro's ...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:49 am
Actually Galloway has good grounds for complaint. He was tried and convicted in absentia by an American kangaroo court who never even allowed him to testify.

He wanted to give his side of the story but was not invited.

When the Daily Telegraph made similar accusations he sued and won.

And what exactly has he done wrong? Taken money? No bent the rules No Involved with fraud? No. In fact he has done nothing wrong except allowed his name to get on a list. The last time the secret services tried that it was shown to be a forgery.

Oh one thing really bad he's done and that is to mount a blistering attack on Bush and Blair over the war in Iraq.

I've no brief for Galloway but I dont like the dirty underhand tactics of the Americans.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:19 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Actually Galloway has good grounds for complaint. He was tried and convicted in absentia by an American kangaroo court who never even allowed him to testify.

"Despite his comments, Galloway agreed Thursday to appear at a hearing of the committee May 17.

'We look forward to having Mr. Galloway at our bipartisan hearing next week and will be happy to help with any logistical needs he may have in order to travel to Washington,' said Andy Brehm, press secretary for committee chairman Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn."
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:20 pm
Steve - this time Galloway is invited and he's coming over.

Didn't know he was ever convicted in absentia by any US court on any subject - you don't mean the committee's report by any chance?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:23 pm
Whooda - this from your CNN link, last paragraph:

"..an estimated $6 billion to $8 billion that bypassed the U.N. program by selling oil to neighboring Jordan, Turkey, and Syria, all with U.S. approval in an effort to bolster its Mideast allies."

This is incredible - the total was about $40bn, so we're alleged to have diverted 20% of that to bolster which of our "allies", Syria?!

I question the reporting involved - if these "diversions" were approved by us then that's a much bigger story than Galloway's financial irregularities, if any.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:24 pm
As I recall, Mr. Galloway's woes are nothing new, and certainly not predicated on American legal maneuverings.

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=762143#762143]Almost a year ago[/url], timberlandko wrote:
Something's been bothering me here for a while, and to sooth my own mind, I'm gonna request a bit of a rewind. Way back Here,
Sofia wrote:

The Case Against the UN re Iraq

I don't think any of us can continue to act as though the UN was an honest player in the decision to back away from the Iraq War.

When those making the decisions have been paid off, it has to color their veracity ...
. which she followed up with This and This. Responding, in apparent intended rebuttal, though in mistaken apprehension of current events,
Steve (as 4100) wrote:
... Sofia, Galloway successfully sued the CSM and British newspapers that reprinted the story. He was stitched up by CIA and SIS dirty tricks department for political reasons. Being the litigous sort, be careful, he might sue you too.
while a Bit Further On, in apparent additional intended, but mistaken, refutation and rebuttal of Sofia's point,
CdK wrote:
What Sofia doesn't say is that the list she is posting has not been confirmed as authentic at all and that the US was a part of the sanctions committee that approved all contracts.
to which I Responded:
Quote:
... Galloway's 2003 Libel Suit, in which he ultimately was Victorious, predates and is wholly separate from the Oil For Food Scandal. A Wall Street Journal Article brought major US press attention to focus on The Oil For Food Scandal back in February, a couple months after the story first began making the rounds, having originated with an article published in the Arabic Language paper Al-Madi ( English Translation Here ) on January 25 of this year. The scandal involves not legitimate contracts, but kickbacks and under-the-table dealings designed to subvert the contract process. Galloway, among others equally and more notable, is very much on the hook for this current flap. Independent Investigations lend credence to the allegations raised by the Al Madi article.

The Financial Times wrote:
A three-month investigation by Il Sole 24 Ore and the Financial Times has established that Mr Giangrandi was one actor in an international charade that helped Mr Hussein's regime divert hundreds of millions of dollars from the United Nations oil-for-food programme to its own ends. Officially, all Iraq's oil revenues went through a UN escrow account, which was then used to pay for the import of goods to Iraq. But the price at which Baghdad sold its oil was below the price at which the purchaser could subsequently resell it. The margin created could be used to generate funds for the regime, or compensate friends, away from prying UN eyes.

Now, though perhaps its nitpicking, but as that pretty much is standard proceedure in this sort of discussion, I'd like to revist these points. It is my contention, congruent with that expressed Sofia, that, in light of the facts as currently reported:

1) The objectivity of the UN in its opposition to US intentions re Saddam's Iraq, given which nations were the key proponents of that opposition, is at the very least rendered suspect

2) Steve (as 4100)'s citations re Galloway, etc, did not address the matter at hand but rather concerned a previous issue not pertinent to the current scandal

3) CdK's dismissal-by-implication through mention of US participation in the contract approval process fails to take into account the very nature of the alledged misconduct, which was designed, and practiced, specifically in such manner as to criminally bypass established contract controls shielding the activities ... kickbacks, illegal undercharges, and outright bribery ... from legitimate oversight. Further, as evidenced by the Financial Times article I referrenced, as well as another mentioned in This Article, among a number of other recent exposés, independent investigations, based on independently obtained documentation and testimony, lend corroboration to the assertions put forth in the original Al-Mada article. I would add, contrary to CdK's assertion, that the veracity and provenance of the documents Al-Mada referrenced is subject to no credible challenge, not even from The UN Itself.

Apart from any debate concerning justification, motivation, or legality of US actions precipitating the recent and current Iraq Flap, I question the foundation, as exemplified by general UN and specific UN Security Council Member State conduct, of opposition to US activites. I will not discount that there well may have been some principled, honorable moral, ethical, and legal objection, but it is my contention that such idealistic, and perfectly legitimate, complaint was of far less practical and pragmatic concern and effect than was simple graft and corruption, and in substantial practice was used blatantly to cloak the reality of greed and self interest in a costume of good intention and noble sounding but thoroughly obfuscatory pronouncements.

Should the current Oil For Food corruption investigation disclose proven culpability on the part of senior UN and UN Member State officials, such finding would not, of course, vindicate US action. Such finding, however, certainly would invalidate much claim to legitimacy of intent posed by those who were in opposition to The US, and by extension, call to question the overall legitimacy of The UN, as a body, itself. In closing this rant, I'll echo Sofia's initial point,
Quote:
... I don't think any of us can continue to act as though the UN was an honest player in the decision to back away from the Iraq War.
and say it appears, at the very least, to have been a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Worth noting is that at the time of that post, there were many here who were of the opinion there was little real basis for criticism of The UN in the matter of Oil For Food. A common objection at the time was that allegations of impropriety were founded on dubious evidence. The proponents of that position have found ongoing developments to have been not convenient to their argument.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:30 pm
Hi Timber! Met Blatham, Lola, JoeNation, KickyKan and others last weekend - not a single Republican among them - and was talked into posting here on occasion.

Re Galloway, nothing much will happen until Volcker issues his final report in a few months.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:33 pm
Hi, HofT - glad to see your huff is back in the parkinglot here ... I've missed you since last you drove off in it Twisted Evil
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:44 pm
Always good to see you too, Timber - but it's not in the parking lot, it's by the main entrance with the engine running <G>
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:35 pm
Yes good to hear from you again HofT, but why the carefully prepared escape plans?

Now Mr Galloway is coming over and he's going to give the committee "both barrels" (as in shot gun).

I'm really looking forward to it. Smile Makes me feel protective to those poor senators, they going to need it.

Just seen Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn. interviewed, he seemed distinctly nervous.

The good thing about this is that Galloway probably did take a cut, but the FAC will not be able to pin it down without disclosing CIA MI6 files which they won't release, so they (FAC) are going to look really stupid.

Its a gamble by Galloway, but he's used to making fools of establishment figures.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:05 pm
Timberlandko, aren't we part of the UN and just as responsible as the rest of the members to keep an eye on things?

If we are innocent I am sure that there are other countries who are innocent. Some of those innocent countries may have been against the war.

Even if some of those countries had some of their members in their countries (like we do, remember cheney)mixed up in the oil for food thing, it still does not prove that was the only reason that country was against the war.

You cannot make a link that says those countries were only against the war because they stood to gain under saddam hussien just because there may have been some fraud in the oil for food thing.

The reason I have resisted the idea is because it is too partisan driven and has been from the start.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:19 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Killing innocents is never a good defense.

Never is a long time!

Let's look at one very controversial example.

The US dropping two atomic bombs on mainland Japan in WWII, killed tens of thousands of Japanese innocents, and did thereby end the war with Japan.

Had the US not done that, but instead decided to let the war continue by continuing to attack Japan island by island in conventional sea invasions, how many Japanese innocents would have died before the war would have ended? Neither of us knows! However, based on our experience in Europe with Germany, where millions of German and other european innocents died for lack of the availability and use of atomic bombs to end that war sooner, the death of millions of innocents would have probably occurred in Japan without the dropping of those atomic bombs.

That holds true for all humans; whether in a village or the world community. The police cannot go killing people on the basis that they are trying to kill a criminal,

Policemen threatened with death by perpetrators have frequently saved their own lives, or sacrificed their own lives, and saved the lives of innocents by killing perpetrators and also those innocents who were too nearby the perpetrators.

and it also holds true that one country's army cannot go to another country to kill it's innocent citizens because they have a Saddam or Osama in their midst.

The innocents in that "another country" ran a great risk of being themselves killed in greater numbers if they failed themselves to kill their own tyrannical regimes perpetrating murder of the innocents in their and in other countries. Unfortunately, that risk did eventually materialize into a real happening.

Should that be true? No! Should young people die of cancer and other such deseases? No! But no one asked me to decide what reality ought to be. Reality just is! It cannot be ordered or legislated away or vetoed. People will generally do whatever they think they have to do to survive death or maiming by tyrants.

What's the best workable solution? Kill the tyrants as quickly as one can so as to miinimize the death of additional innocents. The risk of that is often one's own death. It takes courage to take that risk.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:09 am
Ican I think that rocket on your back has finally exploded.

ci said killing innocents is never a good defense

to which you responded "never is a long time!"

never has no length of time to it at all
but worse than that the implication of your response is that killing innocents is SOMETIME a good defense.

Do want to reconsider what you said or do you want to be judged by it?
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:18 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Now Mr Galloway is coming over and he's going to give the committee "both barrels" (as in shot gun).

I'm really looking forward to it. Smile Makes me feel protective to those poor senators, they going to need it.

The good thing about this is that Galloway probably did take a cut, but the FAC will not be able to pin it down without disclosing CIA MI6 files which they won't release, so they (FAC) are going to look really stupid.

Just how much of "a cut" is morally/politically acceptable? And as long as you're handing out dispensations, would you extend some to any member of the hated Bush administration who did the same?

I'll be watching to see who "appears nervous" and who "looks really stupid."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:58 am
I dont hate the Bush administration. I think they're daft but I dont hate them. Galloway is the Bush hater. As you said we shall see how they get on.

Galloway is certainly a character. I was going to say he married a palestinian academic when I read this

"
In the run-up to the election, Galloway's Palestinian-born wife, Dr Amineh Abu-Zayyad, told the Sunday Times that she intends to divorce him over his friendships with other women."

and from a review of Galloways auto biography

"Galloway has never before had to give a sustained account of his attitudes towards the Ba'athist regime in Iraq. To his credit, he opposed Saddam's tyranny in the 1980s when the Americans supported the dictator and his acts of genocide. But - like so much of the Left - when the Americans switched sides, so did he. Hatred of American power appears to be his primary motive, rather than any positive left-wing values of his own."

Bush hating maverick with a taste for wine cigars and women.

And irony on irony in the election he was denounced as "a false prophet" by his own Muslim supporters, and had to be given police protection Smile
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:04 pm
Timber - have already replied to Steve by e-mail, but would like to thank you for your inquiry.

I don't expect to be logging in here again and would appreciate your help with having this account cancelled - the signal-to-noise ratio on this forum is close to zero.

You always know how to reach me by e-mail; thanks Smile
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are incorrect. The best defense is not an offense.

That's an empty platitude...

Cycloptichorn

Perhaps we should rethink this. Cyclo certainly knows his platitudes.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:40 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Ican I think that rocket on your back has finally exploded.

ci said killing innocents is never a good defense

to which you responded "never is a long time!"

never has no length of time to it at all

It was a mere play on words when I previously posted it. Obviously a failed attempt at humor on my part.

However, since you thought it a serious point on my part, I shall attempt to make it such lest you lack sufficient material by which you may judge me. :wink:

One must wait a rather long time to confirm for certain that something never happens. I suggest that wait time is infinite. So one must consider that since verifying never takes a long time, then never is a long time. Rolling Eyes

but worse than that the implication of your response is that killing innocents is SOMETIME a good defense.

When presented with only three ways to end a horrible conflict, one ought to pick that way that ends with the fewest dead. In 1945 the US was faced with these three choices for ending the war with Japan:
(1) kill tens of thousands of innocent Japanese with two atomic bombs;
(2) kill millions of innocents on both sides by invading Japan by sea;
(3) do nothing and wait for the ultimate killing of millions by the Japanese.

It seems to me that the rational, and most humanitarian, and least worst choice with which we were presented was to kill tens of thousands of innocent Japanese. The war with Japan ended quickly as a result.

Do want to reconsider what you said or do you want to be judged by it?

Judge me (and President Truman) as you please.

Reality and nature often present us with terrible choices such that the best we can do under the circumstances is pick the least worse choice and try to make the best of it. Fantasizing a utopia does not make it exist nor does it substitute for any other choice than doing nothing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:10 pm
Annan Didn't Disclose Key Contacts By JOHN SOLOMON and DESMOND BUTLER, Associated Press Writers
1 hour, 51 minutes ago

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan did not initially tell investigators in the oil-for-food probe that he met twice with representatives of his son's employer as the Swiss company began soliciting United Nations business.

Annan's omissions last November raised credibility concerns with the chief investigator, Robert Parton, that persisted even after Annan later provided his recollections about the meetings. Investigators had uncovered the contacts in calendars recovered from computers, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The Associated Press.

Parton sought to make an issue of Annan's veracity, concluding the U.N. chief wasn't initially forthcoming and his story evolved as new facts emerged. Parton also noted Annan's account sometimes conflicted with other witnesses deemed credible. Drafts of Parton's report, however, were substantially revised.

The three-member committee that supervised Parton used a different tone when it laid out the discrepancies in the version of the report released to the public two months ago. "He had checked the records and now remembered the meeting," the final report said about one of the meetings Annan hadn't originally disclosed.

The final report also didn't mention that Annan had originally denied knowing one of his son's business associates with whom he had had lunch. Nor did it mention that the business associate testified that he specifically discussed Kojo Annan's interest in doing business in Iraq with the U.N. chief.

Kofi Annan's lawyer acknowledged Friday that his client didn't provide or recall certain information about 6-year-old events during his first interview with investigators last November, blaming it on poor preparation.

"During many different meetings with the panel and its counsel, the Secretary-General took pains to answer questions truthfully and completely. In his first interview, however, Mr. Annan had no advance knowledge of the specific topics of greatest concern to the panel and had not prepared himself adequately," attorney Greg Craig said.

(bullshit)

"For later interviews, he reviewed his schedule, his calendar, his appointment logs and other records, and was able to provide additional information to the Committee."

(after his lying ass was busted)

Parton's lawyer, Lanny Davis, declined comment, citing a judge's order barring him from disclosing any information recently provided to Congress under a subpoena.

Paul Volcker, the chief of the Independent Inquiry Committee, has acknowledged that there was debate among his investigators about how to interpret its findings on Annan, but denied leaving out any material facts.

Annan has maintained he didn't know his son's company got oil-for-food business until after it was awarded in December 1998 and a newspaper reported it the following month. The final version of the investigative report released March 29 concluded there wasn't evidence the U.N. chief tried to influence the world body's decisions to benefit his son's business interests.

(what do they need....video?)

The House International Relations Committee is poring over boxes of documents and audiotapes that Parton provided this month under a subpoena after resigning in protest as the lead investigator in the case.

Parton was charged with determining how the U.N. came to award business from its oil-for-food humanitarian program in Iraq in December 1998 to Cotecna, the Swiss firm that employed Annan's son Kojo.

Parton's acrimonious departure from the U.N. probe has turned into a legal battle, with the U.N. trying, unsuccessfully, to stop its former investigator from complying with the subpoena to provide his investigative files to Congress.

Those files provide a detailed account of what Annan told investigators and when, and show the frictions over how to interpret evidence that ensued between Parton and the three-member committee, led by Volcker, that supervised his work.

In his first of four interviews with investigators, Annan did not disclose last November that he met in September 1998 as the company was gearing up to bid for business under the oil-for-food program.

Annan generally acknowledged in the first interview that he knew Massey In a subsequent interview in January after consulting the calendars that were turned over to Parton, Annan divulged he met twice with Massey before the Cotecna contract was awarded, including on Sept. 18, 1998.

But the U.N. chief testified that the meeting did not involve Cotecna's pursuit of oil-for-food business. Instead, he said, the two discussed an idea Massey had for an international lottery to raise money for the U.N.; Annan said he referred Massey to another official to discuss the idea further.

(sudden enhanced memory...)

The U.N. chief also indicated he didn't recall a man named Pierre Mouselli, though he said he often doesn't recall people he meets casually in his high-profile job. The final report makes no mention of Annan's November denial about Mouselli.

During a March 17 interview, Annan was quizzed about a calendar entry indicating he had a "private lunch" on Sept. 4, 1998, with his son Kojo and "his friend" during a world conference in Durban, South Africa.

By that time, Parton had already learned that the friend was Mouselli, a businessman who, like Kojo Annan, was working as a consultant with Cotecna.

Parton also secured testimony from Mouselli stating that he and the Annans had discussed at the South African lunch that Kojo Annan and Mouselli were setting up companies and were interested in business, including Iraq. The final report said Mouselli's account of the meeting couldn't be verified elsewhere.

In the March interview, Kofi Annan said he did in fact remember a "brief encounter" he had in Durban with his son and a friend, whom he described as a Lebanese businessman whose first name might have been Pierre.

But despite his own calendar notation, the elder Annan insisted he still could not recall having lunch, the last name of the friend or any discussion of his son's business endeavors during the encounter.

The final report also excluded detailed testimony from Mouselli that he and the Annans discussed their interest in Iraq business. "We discussed Iraq," Mouselli told the AP in an interview this week. "We discussed about even my way to go to Iraq. ... We were joking if Kojo wants to come."
----------------------
So, if Volcker had his way, we would have never heard the truth.

Regarding the UN, the US and Iraq, does this emerging information about the underhanded deals of Kofi Annan--lining his family's pockets with US/other money, which was intended to pay for food and medicine for starving and sick Iraqi children--lead you to question the veracity of the UN's decision re the Iraq War?
0 Replies